Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2011, 06:40 PM

6 posts, read 61,101 times

Advertisements

I've just lost my job two months ago and I am actively seeking employment. I am currently a student and I have been renting a room for two years now. I'm in a serious situation right now because either the assistance organizations I've checked on either have tied up busy signals (which I can understand) or don't provide unless I was renting an actual apartment or have a light bill in my name. This is killing me because I am grateful to the landlord for renting out to me but right now she is having a hard time getting her bills paid because she is retired. We have another person living there but he's out of town for a few more months. I'm doing all that I can and it is a matter of time before something happens. And I live in Texas.

I'm trying to seek advice on this because my landlord is not planning to wait due to bills needing to be paid. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 10:41 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,975,272 times
Got a car? Better get ready to live in it until you get back on your feet and pay your landlady any back rent and can rent a new place.

Have you tried your student aid office? Can you get a larger loan? Have you considered joining the Army? They provide free food and housing.

I don't mean to sound insensitive. I live in a multi-million dollar home and own apartments in 3 states. I've lived in my car twice in the past, in in a tent in the forest for a summer once. And my partner when she was going to college, lived with 5 other students in a 2 bedroom apartment with no furniture but their mattresses and computers.

Life goes up and down. When it's down you suck it up and drive on and don't go begging for entitlements.

Last edited by jamies; 01-27-2011 at 11:42 PM..

Old 01-27-2011, 11:19 PM

3,198 posts, read 13,417,454 times
Are you eligible for unemployment? Can your parents bail you out for a few months at least for rent? Is there any possible way to find something cheaper? (although you're gonna have a hard time qualifying for a new place right now)

Old 01-28-2011, 01:58 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,678,967 times
Ugh. No comment on the first response.

Can you get additional student loans? Some colleges/universities have emergency loans, too. Do you have any friends you can stay with temporarily? Good luck!

Old 01-28-2011, 02:51 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,710,848 times
Quit school and devote time to looking for a job that will pay the bills.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:32 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,678,967 times
That's it - quit school because an education will ensure greater employability. Sound advice.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:13 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,975,272 times
Better yet, maybe we can get the govt to raise our taxes to provide subisidies to poor students who can't find jobs. I think we should buy everyone a new car too.

Like maybe the lady in this story - lives in public housing and is suing because a tree fell on her MERCEDEZ BENZ! I can't even afford a Mercedez...

You Ask: Woman seeks help after tree slams into her car - KTNV ABC,Channel 13,Las Vegas,Nevada,News,Weather,Sports,Entertainment,KTN V.com,Action News .:. (http://www.ktnv.com/story/13881493/you-ask-whats-the-delay-in-get - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting