Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 09:05 PM

78 posts, read 394,260 times

Advertisements

"I suppose it's a mix. The washer has visible staining and the dryer is a no-name, and they're the first impressions guests will have of my home. But also, poor washers/dryers cost time. Specifically, suppose I replaced the small, aging, top-loader with a good-sized, modern, front-loader. I would be able to wash more laundry per load in less time per load. In addition, I would have more cleaning options such as 'I need it in 30 min do what you can' and 'This sorta has an odor please do a bit more.' beyond the basic 'cold / warm / hot' that a basic appliance offers."

I see those ten words are going to haunt me awhile.

I've owned nice appliances and a nice home for years. Whether or not it matters to my guests, it's embarassing and annoying to me, besides the other ninety words on functional issues.

Last edited by likesAppliances; 01-30-2011 at 09:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 03:45 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likesAppliances View Post
"I suppose it's a mix. The washer has visible staining and the dryer is a no-name, and they're the first impressions guests will have of my home. But also, poor washers/dryers cost time. Specifically, suppose I replaced the small, aging, top-loader with a good-sized, modern, front-loader. I would be able to wash more laundry per load in less time per load. In addition, I would have more cleaning options such as 'I need it in 30 min do what you can' and 'This sorta has an odor please do a bit more.' beyond the basic 'cold / warm / hot' that a basic appliance offers."

I see those ten words are going to haunt me awhile.

I've owned nice appliances and a nice home for years. Whether or not it matters to my guests, it's embarassing and annoying to me, besides the other ninety words on functional issues.
Lol.
Ok, your'e off the hook on this one.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Lol.
Ok, your'e off the hook on this one.
Conclusion:
* The landlord is fine with me replacing the washer and/or dryer with my own as long as I store them somewhere safe so they can later be reconnected.

* I decided not to replace the fridge, after working out how much it's already going to cost to hire a home decorator to fill 1800sqft!

Old 02-01-2011, 03:51 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
$3,500 is market dependent. In NYC or Malibu that won't get you much. The OP needs to look at what else is available in the market to get a better idea of what to expect at the price point.

8 years is not a long time for replacement of appliances. 10-15 is more likely. But I can understand that they may be showing their age. However obviously at this price/market point they appear to be becoming an issue the LL may want to note if it is costing rentals to good tenants.

This is a good reason to own a multiple range of properties, you can move used appliances into older units and replace at the higher end.

A set of semi-quality higher end SS appliances, say "LP" will cost around $5-8,000 (refer, range micro, w/d, dishwasher) depending on how fancy. The LL may not want or be in a position to finance that until the old appliances have finished their service life. You also have to remember tenants are very hard on appliances and LL's hesitate to put anything into them.

My recommendation to the OP who seems to be a person of refined taste, is to buy your own appliances and store the LL's if you don't want to use them. Keeping in mind that it will cost someone to store and move them. This way you will have appliances that you personally love to use and enjoy.

Also, I do agree with the OP that friends are not going to be impressed by your appliances (well in some circles they are) but your appliances in some ways are a statement about who you are, just like your car. If you drive a POS car people do not respect you.

I understand the OP's request. I have a $3,500 price point in the San Diego market and for that I expect an upper mid-floor high rise 2 bedroom condo with upgraded SS appliances in immaculate condition, marble and granite everything.

I also own low income apartments that start at $395.00 - for that they get unbroken windows with screens, locks on the doors, whatever appliances I happen to have on hand and well worn but clean carpet.

In housing you get what you pay for.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:40 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
While I agree to a very minor extant that appliance quality increases with higher rent it is really only in regards to competition. When I rented out nice livable three bedroom houses for $2200 they might have newer appliances than a place that was in a better location and had a garage for $2500. If I needed to replace the appliances and I could get some SS stuff at the Sears outlet or a "package deal" on low end GE or Fridigaire I would get that, but unless COMPETITVE apartments were also raising rents I could not really more.

I also had a bad expericne with tenants rough cleaning methods leaving the SS appliances looking worse that the typical porcelain finish stuff that I got. When comes to laundry equipment my philosophy was always SIMPLER IS BETTER and 99% of all renters are perfectly happy with a laundry pair that is reliable.

If you look at the very highest end of rentals these tenants send everything out to the dry cleaners and get shirts returned in boxes so theynare ready to go into their luggage for business travel...

If there are rentals available with ultra luxury appliances go rent them and when your landlord is forced to upgrade or remain vacant he will cross that bridge...

Old 02-01-2011, 11:08 AM

> If you look at the very highest end of rentals these tenants send everything out to the dry cleaners and get shirts returned in boxes so theynare ready to go into their luggage for business travel...

I send my dryclean-only clothes to a drycleaner. I'm not aware of anyone who sends their workout clothes to a drycleaner. Luxury apartments in my area feature 'send away' services but alas multi-million dollar homes don't have this feature.

> If there are rentals available with ultra luxury appliances go rent them and
> when your landlord is forced to upgrade or remain vacant he will cross that
> bridge...

Landlords don't get to set all of the terms, unless they want to reduce the rent or pay for an idle property. I simply stated my case, he agreed I could replace the appliances, and we're both happy.

There unfortunately weren't many rentals to choose from and my timeline for move-in was very accelerated.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:34 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillaceae View Post
I don't quite understand: is there actually something wrong with the appliances' functionality, or is the problem that they aren't new and brand name?
That's what I'm wondering; if the appliances work, there's no reason to replace them.
Quote:
Specifically, suppose I replaced the small, aging, top-loader with a good-sized, modern, front-loader. I would be able to wash more laundry per load in less time per load. In addition, I would have more cleaning options such as 'I need it in 30 min do what you can' and 'This sorta has an odor please do a bit more.' beyond the basic 'cold / warm / hot' that a basic appliance offers.
The landlord is under no obligation to save you any time and effort in doing your laundry; nor is the landlord under any obligation to impress your guests with a fancy dryer.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:17 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
That has to be one of the more absurd things I have read in this forum.
I agree..with you !!!!

I am guessing that the appliance are not SS..

Old 02-01-2011, 02:21 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That's what I'm wondering; if the appliances work, there's no reason to replace them.

The landlord is under no obligation to save you any time and effort in doing your laundry; nor is the landlord under any obligation to impress your guests with a fancy dryer.

I love it !!!!h

get a clothesline

Old 02-01-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

And I was under no obligation to rent his place. Money talks and landlords have to listen if they want top dollar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting