Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 08:26 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Your point is really not valid. When you rent a place you sign a lease that stipulates how you have to maintain the place you are renting. You are limited in what modifications you can do to the rental. You pay a security deposit to protect against these things. You agree to let the owner have the right of entry in certain situations (including to inspect the state of the rental).
Yup. No mortgage I've eve seen says that they can come in and check things out. Every lease I have signed does say that.

So it doesn't really matter what you think. It only matters what you sign (implied that YOU agreed to it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 08:49 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
Oh good lord.

No wonder poor old Auntie is stressed out by these annual inspections when she's got the OP in her corner ...

Old 03-13-2011, 11:48 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adreana View Post
Why shouldn't their mortgage companies have the same rights to look into the properties of those having a mortgage, and do the mortgage holders have such rights.
Hmmm, if my mortgage company wants to come out and inspect my property and do routine maintenance at their expense, I could get behind that idea I think. I might have a leaky toilet that needs fixing.
Seriously I've been a renter and I'm fine with the inspections, it's a part of the deal. I'm not the best housekeeper and I don't think it ever made a difference, most LL just wanted to come in and make sure things are still working properly and that as tenants we weren't tearing the place up. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:12 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adreana View Post
I questioned the rights of landlords to inspect their tenants' apts. whenever and however they wished and got alot of angry replies from landlords who seem to feel all they needed to do was give notice and they had a right to go into tenant's homes whenever and look into whatever. Why shouldn't their mortgage companies have the same rights to look into the properties of those having a mortgage, and do the mortgage holders have such rights. After all, wouldn't the same rationales that the landlords are using hold true for the mortgage holders?
Adreanna
The law varies by state. In most states the landlord has the right to access the property with reasonable notice. That is not an opinion, it is the law. See my post here http://www.city-data.com/forum/18261336-post57.html

I do believe that mortgage companies do have some rights to inspect the property (written into the mortgage agreement) if they have grounds to believe the homeowner is endangering their interest in it. But then they also have a lot on their side to limit their exposure to any risk, such as the large down payment and insurance paid by the homeowner which protects the lender.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:43 AM

912 posts, read 5,261,323 times
OP,

It doesn't seem like you are still understanding this.

Its kind of like when you buy or lease a car.

If you buy the car, you own it and do with it as you wish. It belongs to you.

If you lease it, you must keep it clean, keep it under a certain mileage, and you must return it after your "leasing" period is up. The car does NOT belong to you.

Its really not rocket science.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:21 AM

65 posts, read 213,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
Andreana, you should really call the landlord of your aunts building and DEMAND they sit down and answer your questions. On second thought, don't call. Just go to his office or house. Demand to have your questions answered. Be firm!

Tell 'em like you're telling us.

After all, just who the heck are they to insist on being let in the apartment? Tell them how you and your aunt resent them barging in on you with only a weeks notice, violating your civil rights and your right to privacy. Make sure you bring up the indentured servant speech that you gave in your last thread. That will get 'em right in the gut, I promise you. I mean, jeeze.. just who do they think they are?
Lauriedee,
You seem to be implying she'd get evicted. By all accounts her landlord is nothing like the ones on this site, thank God. You all seem fully capable of throwing people out of their homes for having a contrary opinion. Unfortunately you can if the tenant is on a month to month lease. The majority of tenants are. That gives the landlord the right to throw anyone out with only 30 days notice for NO CAUSE. It also negates any civil rights a tenant may have through fear. It creates two classes of people in the US, one having a reprehensible amount of power over the other. This could get worse or better as the no. of people renting grows. My hope is that Congress will change this situation but that is just a hope. As for inspections, I am a second generation renter, have lived everywhere, and have never been inspected, never known anyone who was. They (inspections) seem to be quite popular on this site, however.
Adreana

Old 03-14-2011, 10:53 AM

1,723 posts, read 4,097,668 times
Quote:
Lauriedee,
You seem to be implying she'd get evicted.
nope, I was implying that you'd get laughed out of their office.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:26 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
Landlord Inspection Rights | eHow.com

Adreana, read this. Hopefully it will present the information in a way that is easier and impartial.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:02 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
A mortgage holder does not own the property, they have a lien on it. There is a big difference. The bank has the right to claim ownership of the house in the case of a failure to pay the loan, however the bank does not own the property until that actually happens.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:31 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Post upon post based on one thread who's instigator has no clue whatsoever about landlord tenant laws and opted out of the discussion very quickly when the answers weren't in her favor. Ditto this thread. She's gone off in a huff. Case closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting