Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2011, 06:10 PM

43 posts, read 142,211 times

Advertisements

Hi,

So after years of having my own place, I find myself needing to cut back on rent expense due to financial problems (raise freeze + expense increase). Having never had roommates or rented a room I am not sure what would be best for my situation and I have some potential problems.

1. I have three cats. I have found some fellow animal lovers who are willing to rent me a room in their house, however, I am very concerned about potential damage my cats might cause. One of them likes to scratch doorjambs. In my current rental I have covered all the doorjambs with clear adhesive to prevent this behavior, but he might resume it in a new place. Another cat scratches the screen door when she sees birds. I am used to replacing door/ window screens when I move, but pretty sure my potential landlords would not be thrilled. I haven't tried "Soft-Paws" yet.

2. I'm not sure what the landlords are expecting in terms of privacy or using common rooms. Am I supposed to stay in my room all the time, or would that be considered weird? I'm an introvert and really wouldn't mind staying in my room if it was large enough to have a small studio area (I'm an artist).

3. Perhaps it would be better to find an apartment myself and then find a roommate? (then I could cat-proof all I wanted) But I run the risk of not being able to find anyone and being stuck with the full rent.

Any other things I am not considering?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 06:31 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cicada View Post
Hi,

So after years of having my own place...
3. Perhaps it would be better to find an apartment myself and then find a roommate? (then I could cat-proof all I wanted) But I run the risk of not being able to find anyone and being stuck with the full rent.
^^This.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:30 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,036,935 times
There's someone in this forum who is looking for a roommate!! They love cats and would love to spoil your three rotten. Just curious..how often do you clip your cats nails? If you keep them clipped you wont' have the clawing issue.

This person is also concerned about privacy and since you both are concerned about this, you might be a good fit. However, if you aren't social enough, we'll hear about on this forum, so tread lightly if this thing works out. And be prepared to have full background check done....and I would suggest you do one as well.

You might find that your three cats will hinder your roommate choices....not everyone loves cats and while I love cats and have one myself, I wouldn't be moving in with someone who has such destructive cats.

Can you find a small studio apt that you can afford?

Old 05-17-2011, 06:15 PM

No, I haven't tried trimming their nails - I guess I could try that before glueing things on to them

There are people willing to let me rent a room with the cats, but the more I think about it, the more I feel I would be constantly worried that they would destroy something or break something. In an apartment I can just repair/replace before I move out, and I have never had a problem with landlords this way.

As far as the privacy thing goes, I just don't know what is expected. I would be completely fine with becoming friends with a roommate - maybe watching movies together, cookouts, etc. But from reading posts here it sounds as if people who rent rooms are looking for someone who will keep to themselves, possibly in their room. I'm sure it ultimately depends on the individual situation.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:00 PM

924 posts, read 2,231,591 times
Hi cicada, thanks for your thread. The timing is perfect.

Quote:
There are people willing to let me rent a room with the cats, but the more I think about it, the more I feel I would be constantly worried that they would destroy something or break something. In an apartment I can just repair/replace before I move out, and I have never had a problem with landlords this way.
Respect goes out to you for being responsible in that sense.

Quote:
As far as the privacy thing goes, I just don't know what is expected. But from reading posts here it sounds as if people who rent rooms are looking for someone who will keep to themselves, possibly in their room. I'm sure it ultimately depends on the individual situation.
The woman I visited did indeed indicate she wants someone to respect her space and suggested I sleep in her basement while she was upstairs, she also asked me to come join her on the couch during my visit so we could talk. I was much closer to her at that moment then I am with female colleagues. But apparently that still respected her "space" , so who know what that expression means anyway.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:19 AM

Quote:
No, I haven't tried trimming their nails - I guess I could try that before glueing things on to them

As far as the privacy thing goes, I just don't know what is expected. I would be completely fine with becoming friends with a roommate - maybe watching movies together, cookouts, etc. But from reading posts here it sounds as if people who rent rooms are looking for someone who will keep to themselves, possibly in their room. I'm sure it ultimately depends on the individual situation.

If you're unsure of how to clip their nails, ask your vet to show you how. It's really quite easy and I've been doing since my cat was a tiny kitten so he's used to it. I just don't agree w ith declawing and those rubber things look silly. lol Clipping works for us and it might work for you!

I understand about the privacy thing....if I had a roommate, I wouldn't want to feel like I had to entertain them or be entertained by them..if that makes any sense....you may be sharing a home but sharing a life. You should be able to come and go as you please and not feel like you have to check in with anyone. It is hard thing to do...something I woudn't be looking to do anytime soon..but that's just me.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post

The woman I visited did indeed indicate she wants someone to respect her space and suggested I sleep in her basement while she was upstairs, she also asked me to come join her on the couch during my visit so we could talk. I was much closer to her at that moment then I am with female colleagues. But apparently that still respected her "space" , so who know what that expression means anyway.

i take that to mean that you aren't all up in her business. You don't ask personal questions, you don't nose about where your nose doesn't belong. you don't question her about her comings and goings...you respect that while you live under that same roof...you share nothing of a relationship other than you pay her to live there. She doesn't want to entertain you and doesn't want to be entertained by you. She doesn't want to hear your constant whining about this, that and the other thing.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:09 AM

Thanks Kim in FL. I don't agree with declawing either - I will try trimming. Certainly would save me a lot of stress whether I have roommates or not.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Thanks Kim in FL. I don't agree with declawing either - I will try trimming. Certainly would save me a lot of stress whether I have roommates or not.

you're very welcome. let me know how it goes for you...it works well for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting