Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 12:56 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,192,873 times

Advertisements

Can any one refresh my memory?

I have a tenant who is complaining about everything and trying to get me to pay for 'repairs' and 'improvements' that he has done. Never turned in an inventory and condition form, either but has produced a copy several months later (which is still dated too many days after the commencement of the lease).

His rent was due the 15th and he had five days grace - so after the 20th he was in Default.

Question is - can I evict him even if he still pays up with the rent and late fees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 02:41 PM

912 posts, read 5,266,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post

Question is - can I evict him even if he still pays up with the rent and late fees?
If you are evicting somebody, do not take accept a single penny from them. That will only turn into problems and delays during the eviction process.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:45 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,504,119 times
Depends what your eviction notice says. In my state, eviction notice are to "Pay or Quit", which means if they pay in full (including all legal fees and late fees) that they can stay. Some other states give a "Notice to Vacate", which appears to mean that they are just flat out requiring you move out.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:58 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,503,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Depends what your eviction notice says. In my state, eviction notice are to "Pay or Quit", which means if they pay in full (including all legal fees and late fees) that they can stay. Some other states give a "Notice to Vacate", which appears to mean that they are just flat out requiring you move out.

That difference is whether someone is being evicted for non payment or for breaking the lease. ie.. damaging the property, pets, etc....

If they recieve a notice to pay or quit, if they pay they stay.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:14 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,504,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
That difference is whether someone is being evicted for non payment or for breaking the lease. ie.. damaging the property, pets, etc....

If they recieve a notice to pay or quit, if they pay they stay.
Not everywhere. I have seen that in some states, apparantly they do not do a "Pay or Quit", they just have a "Notice to Vacate" for all 3 day (or 5 or 7 day) evictions.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:18 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,903,645 times
In Texas, if you are attempting to evict for non-payment of rent, if they pay....they stay. If you are attempting to evict for breach of lease, you will have to have serious proof of the violations of the lease.
You have to serve a 3 day notice to pay or quit, then file eviction with the JP. The tenant can come into court and pay the rent and all fees(including legal) and stay. It's a difficult call. How long is left on the lease? It may be worth the wait to not renew when the time comes and make sure you give a receipted notice of non-renewal.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:14 AM

I sent him the three-day notice yesterday in the mail and last night he paid rent but without penalty and late fees...

Should I deposit this check? At this point I would really like to evict him as I can see nothing but trouble down the road. He has somebody saying he is a lawyer threatening to do some 'action' if I don't make the improvements (not repairs) he wants and reimburse him for his unauthorized 'repairs'. The 'lawyer' keeps citing things that were heresay promised by my handyman (and he denies them) and not written into the lease..seems a bit suspicious to me..

Old 05-25-2011, 02:37 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,700,230 times
What does YOUR lawyer say about all this?

Old 05-25-2011, 04:56 PM

I use one of the largest firms in Dallas - very expensive - trying to get free advice here!

Old 05-25-2011, 05:23 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,700,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I use one of the largest firms in Dallas - very expensive - trying to get free advice here!
FREE advice is not always accurate or good advice. The best advice is speak to your lawyer.

Last edited by PacificFlights; 05-25-2011 at 05:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting