Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 973 times

Advertisements

i had a year least on a home. Well my lease ran out and my LL never made me sign anything else. During this time of being under no lease the home had became subject to many issues. Like the floor started sinking ( off the ground wood floors)and the gas lines started leaking gas and the gas company turned the gas because of it. Well when i Was under the house looking at the gas lines and the many leaks it had i noticed that the floors had been tore out and rebuilt. But instead of building the floor rafters back to code with boards up on their edge with crown up they were laid down flat ways. Totaly wrong and the sub floor was a hit and miss with the plywood. A jack leg job you might as well say. When i questioned the LL about this she stated she had the floors redone right before we moved into the house. No permits or inspections were pulled for the work to be done. The gas company would not turn the gas back on due to all the leaks and said it would remain off until the repairs were made and passed inspection. The LL never would make the repairs and we lived in the house for almost a month and a half with no hot water no way to cook or anything. There was times she would call and say she needs in the house so the plumber could work on the gas line but no work was ever done and we kept noticing that our personal things were getting ramsaked and moved around the house. So we had no choice but to move out because the house was no longer liveable. Now she is talking about sueing us because we moved out due to not fixing the problems and going thru our things. What should we do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 05:25 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,715,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclingscott View Post
i had a year least on a home. Well my lease ran out and my LL never made me sign anything else. During this time of being under no lease the home had became subject to many issues. Like the floor started sinking ( off the ground wood floors)and the gas lines started leaking gas and the gas company turned the gas because of it. Well when i Was under the house looking at the gas lines and the many leaks it had i noticed that the floors had been tore out and rebuilt. But instead of building the floor rafters back to code with boards up on their edge with crown up they were laid down flat ways. Totaly wrong and the sub floor was a hit and miss with the plywood. A jack leg job you might as well say. When i questioned the LL about this she stated she had the floors redone right before we moved into the house. No permits or inspections were pulled for the work to be done. The gas company would not turn the gas back on due to all the leaks and said it would remain off until the repairs were made and passed inspection. The LL never would make the repairs and we lived in the house for almost a month and a half with no hot water no way to cook or anything. There was times she would call and say she needs in the house so the plumber could work on the gas line but no work was ever done and we kept noticing that our personal things were getting ramsaked and moved around the house. So we had no choice but to move out because the house was no longer liveable. Now she is talking about sueing us because we moved out due to not fixing the problems and going thru our things. What should we do.

If your lease expired then it converted to a month-to-month if your LL never sent you anything and you continued to pay rent. All other original lease terms still apply. I do not understand why you didn't just give a 30 day notice that you were moving? You could have saved yourself a lot of this needless drama by doing so.

Just because things aren't up to your expectations it doesn't mean you can just move out with no notice. You have to follow your state rental statutes, laws and procedures on what you would need to do if certain repairs are not being done.

The LL can actually sue you the way you handled this.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:44 AM

217 posts, read 247,586 times
Quote:
Find an attorney. The lease converted to a month-to-month and you broke it. It doesn't matter the conditions, you broke the lease and the law and can get sued....and it seems you probably will be.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:12 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,113,557 times
Quote:
Without gas for heat and cooking the property would be considered uninhabitable and you would be entitled to move out. It would have been better for you to have given the landlord written notice that you were moving out for that reason, but I doubt any court would side with the landlord in your case after suffering with no gas, hot water or way to cook your meals for a month and a half. Write a letter to your landlord stating all of that and point out that you could sue her for a refund of the rent during the month and a half while you had no gas in the rental. Keep a copy and mail the original CRR to the landlord.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:17 PM

461 posts, read 667,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
but I doubt any court would side with the landlord in your case after suffering with no gas, hot water or way to cook your meals for a month and a half.
Depends ... did OP put the repair issues in writing and delivered by certified mail? If not, and I'm just guessing, LL could say she never knew the repairs were needed.

Old 02-10-2016, 02:06 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,715,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by generalswife View Post
Depends ... did OP put the repair issues in writing and delivered by certified mail? If not, and I'm just guessing, LL could say she never knew the repairs were needed.

Correct. Exactly my point in my post above. They would have needed to follow the law on the steps they needed to take or they are pretty much SOL. Otherwise, how are they going to be able to prove they were without those amenities or if they ever properly contacted the LL to repair?

Old 12-05-2016, 11:27 PM

1 posts, read 632 times
If a lease is NOT renewed (meaning a new lease is not signed at the end of the current lease agreement) does it become a month to month or does it automatically renew for another year in N.C.?

Did not re-sign a new lease, 5 months later getting married, moving in with new mate and landlord saying that I still owe for another 7 months.

Any thoughts and please if known site statute numbers

Old 12-06-2016, 05:56 AM

34,116 posts, read 83,086,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newly married View Post
If a lease is NOT renewed...
does it automatically renew for another year in N.C.?
A lease is a time limited contract.
If it doesn't include language for extending the term (eg rollover to a M2M)... then it doesn't have that effect.
Or automatically renewing for another fixed period of time... then it doesn't have that effect.

So...What EXACTLY does the lease say on the matter?

Old 12-06-2016, 06:01 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,639,703 times
Maybe you should have had a talk with the landlord before the lease ran out. He is not obligated to do anything for you. If he has already rented the place you have to leave so he can get the place ready for the new tenants. A conversation with the landlord could have prevented this. Good Luck....

Old 12-06-2016, 06:54 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,788,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newly married View Post
If a lease is NOT renewed (meaning a new lease is not signed at the end of the current lease agreement) does it become a month to month or does it automatically renew for another year in N.C.?

Did not re-sign a new lease, 5 months later getting married, moving in with new mate and landlord saying that I still owe for another 7 months.

Any thoughts and please if known site statute numbers
It should be month to month unless the lease says something like it has an automatic renewal clause for another year when it expires. Check your local laws too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting