Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2023, 06:37 AM

78 posts, read 61,685 times

Advertisements

I'm renting for the first time and the apartment has hard flooring. I'm not sure if it's laminate or vinyl. I've only been here a few months and I'm noticing scratches everywhere. Some are light, some are deeper. I'm not sure if I caused all of them, or if some were preexisting and I just didn't notice unless I get down at floor level, look at the right angle, the light is right, etc. I think my robo vac may have caused some since they match the wheel width. I've never lived with hard flooring, and I feel like it scratches if you look at it too harshly.

Am I already screwed out of my security deposit? Is there a way to fix this, especially considering I don't know what kind of floor it is? If it can be fixed, do I try to repair any scratches I notice every week, or leave it all until I'm moving and do a mass repair?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2023, 06:39 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
surprised they don’t require carpeting …most leases here , especially in multi family dwellings require the tenant have carpeting

Old 12-05-2023, 11:43 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
If you're seeing scratches, it's probably laminate. Upload a couple pictures of what you're talking about. We might be able to tell. The answer will matter on what you should do to avoid further damage.

Old 12-05-2023, 12:05 PM

4,509 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Don't vacuum hard surface flooring. Why don't you just go down to the grocery store and buy a broom dustpan and dust mop?

Old 12-05-2023, 12:23 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Or a Swiffer

Old 12-06-2023, 12:30 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
surprised they don’t require carpeting …most leases here , especially in multi family dwellings require the tenant have carpeting
The OP said nothing about being in a multi-family dwelling.

Old 12-06-2023, 01:07 PM

23,257 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
The OP said nothing about being in a multi-family dwelling.
OP used the term apartment. "Apartment" implies more than one residential unit in the structure. Even a duplex is considered multi-family.

Old 12-06-2023, 02:27 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJgalaxy View Post
I'm not sure if I caused all of them, or if some were preexisting and I just didn't notice unless I get down at floor level, look at the right angle, the light is right, etc. I think my robo vac may have caused some since they match the wheel width. I've never lived with hard flooring, and I feel like it scratches if you look at it too harshly.
First things first. Are you sure they are actual scratches to the wood flooring or could they be scratches in the coating. It's not uncommon for landlords to slap a gallon of REJUVENATE Floor Restorer on floors to make them shine like Grandpa Willie's head. When you move in the floors look so nice, shinny and new, but the reality is you are just seeing a coating. Over time that coating begins to wear and fade. You think (and a unscrupulous landlord make say it) that you damaged the flooring. A bottle of Rejuvenate will turn it all around.

So, make sure you're addressing the actual issue.

Old 12-08-2023, 07:47 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Sounds like normal wear and tear. I wouldn't worry too much.

Old 12-08-2023, 11:38 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,886,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJgalaxy View Post
I'm renting for the first time and the apartment has hard flooring. I'm not sure if it's laminate or vinyl. I've only been here a few months and I'm noticing scratches everywhere. Some are light, some are deeper. I'm not sure if I caused all of them, or if some were preexisting and I just didn't notice unless I get down at floor level, look at the right angle, the light is right, etc. I think my robo vac may have caused some since they match the wheel width. I've never lived with hard flooring, and I feel like it scratches if you look at it too harshly.

Am I already screwed out of my security deposit? Is there a way to fix this, especially considering I don't know what kind of floor it is? If it can be fixed, do I try to repair any scratches I notice every week, or leave it all until I'm moving and do a mass repair?
What Rabritta said...

And just say to yourself, my security deposit is gone but it's not such a big deal. And stop worrying, start living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting