Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 09:24 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,380,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
It is rarely if ever 100 degrees in West Palm Beach, more like 90 with killer humidity and a high dew point. By your calculations, I should be able to achieve my desired 72 degrees indoors. You try living here when you can't get your living room any cooler than 80 degrees. I guarantee your attitude wouldn't be as laissez-faire as it is now.
I live in Southern California, in a city where the temperature hovers around 100 degrees for most of August and September, and I purposely set my thermostat for 80 degrees. I find it perfectly comfortable, and it saves energy!

It's also probably not reasonable to expect a window air conditioner to get a house to 72 degrees - they're not powerful enough. If getting the temperature down to 72, when it's 100 outside, is important to you, then you should probably only rent places with central air...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 10:16 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,030,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
I live in Southern California, in a city where the temperature hovers around 100 degrees for most of August and September, and I purposely set my thermostat for 80 degrees. I find it perfectly comfortable, and it saves energy!

It's also probably not reasonable to expect a window air conditioner to get a house to 72 degrees - they're not powerful enough. If getting the temperature down to 72, when it's 100 outside, is important to you, then you should probably only rent places with central air...
You don't have the humidity that we do. Your 80 degrees and my 80 degrees are nowhere near the same thing.

I also don't know why people keep bringing up 100 degrees. It rarely if ever gets that hot here. The brutal humidity during the summer is the reason a functional A/C unit is essential. Also, a large, powerful wall unit - which is what was intended to go in this house's A/C space - the landlords just wanted to be cheap and stick a window unit in there - could easily cool this modest house from 90 to 72 without even using a ton of power.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:28 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Is your AC a Heat-Pump? Maybe you have it on heating. You could always get a fan or even fan yourself with a magazine.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:35 PM

321 posts, read 533,990 times
Lesson 101 to be learnt from this - Always take pictures and countdown to the various appliances working or non working as like a experience realtor and duly signed by both parties. Otherwise, it would be he says or she says.

As in this case, it is also not the interest of the landlord to fight this out in court as they might be faulted on the grounds that they are renting out the premises without reasonable conducive condition. Hence, it might be the case of misrepresentation as describe with non working air conditioning and wirings.

IMNO, I said move it, move it and prepared to fight out in court if needed.( if you have the time and resources ). but then, the rental duly paid the rental on time to show that you have a good track record of being a good tenant.Otherwise, it might appeared that you are a scumbag trying to delay rentals on baseless ground.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:43 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
Pimpy, your getting sidetracked on the temperature and not focucing on the real issue.

The real isue is how you are handling this. Are you doing it accordig to what the state law and lease says you are to do? Are you following the proper procedures or are you making it up as you go?

Old 09-07-2011, 02:13 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,380,507 times
Quote:
You don't have the humidity that we do. Your 80 degrees and my 80 degrees are nowhere near the same thing.
An air conditioner removes water from the air. So, my house at 80 degrees isn't that different from yours...

Quote:
Also, a large, powerful wall unit - which is what was intended to go in this house's A/C space - the landlords just wanted to be cheap and stick a window unit in there - could easily cool this modest house from 90 to 72 without even using a ton of power.
Yes, but the existing air conditioner was there when you rented the place. It's not like they switched it, and you didn't get what you were promised.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:26 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,670,074 times
I agree with PacificFlights here. The way you have handled the situation was wrong from the start, and will garner you no points with a judge should you end up in court. In most states one cannot unilaterally decide to withhold rent -- it must go through the court system. And you never should have called the electrician yourself unless you were prepared to pay for him. You alerte the LL of the problem, and she attempted to fix it. If you are not getting the repairs that you need, you send a formal letter via certified mail, return receipt requested, asking for the repair to be done correctly within a certain time (as per your state statute). Then you take them to court.

You really need to learn the laws in your state, which will tell you your rights and the proper ways to fight for them. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

People are often under the mistaken assumption that the law is "fair" -- that the law will be on their side if they try to right a wrong. That is true, but ONLY if done in the proper manner.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:24 AM

819 posts, read 3,208,674 times
Quote:
I was also promised lawn care in the lease -- that gets done about once every six weeks. It is EMBARRASSING to even drive a hot girl by my house.

Not sure why, but I find this pretty funny

Old 09-07-2011, 09:44 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdotAllen View Post
Not sure why, but I find this pretty funny
Me to. I wonder if it is OK to drive ugly girls by the house?

Old 09-07-2011, 09:52 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,030,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Me to. I wonder if it is OK to drive ugly girls by the house?
That is a moot point. Not concerned whether or not ugly girls are impressed.

While we're on the lawn care subject, I'm sure some pseudo-lawyer-wannabe will point out that a certain frequency of lawn care wasn't promised in the lease, but let's use common sense people. Once every month or longer is not often enough to cut the grass in South Florida. If they would buy me a little push-mower (I'm sure they're too cheap even to do that), I would have NO problem mowing it myself. However, if you're going to promise your tenant lawn care, you should provide REAL lawn care and not half-ass it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting