Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 10:26 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times

Advertisements

Let's say there's a 4BR house which rents for $1000/mo with one person per bedroom.

Now let's say a fifth person moves in, so one bedroom has two people.

Should the aggregate rent change, should the rent paid by the other three individuals change, and if so, by how much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 11:28 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,670,074 times
Is the LL providing any utilities?

Old 09-18-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
Is the LL providing any utilities?

No, all utilities are paid by tenants.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:50 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,940,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Let's say there's a 4BR house which rents for $1000/mo with one person per bedroom.

Now let's say a fifth person moves in, so one bedroom has two people.

Should the aggregate rent change, should the rent paid by the other three individuals change, and if so, by how much?
What are the terms of the lease to which the landlord & his four tenants have agreed? Is anything said about the number of people who may live in the property & at what rent?

Old 09-18-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
What are the terms of the lease to which the landlord & his four tenants have agreed? Is anything said about the number of people who may live in the property & at what rent?

No reference to number of occupants permitted, only to monthly rent. Fifth person not on lease.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:01 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Check your local zoning laws. Most places have a set number of unrelated people who can share a house, I suppose to discourage rooming houses in residential areas. Here is it 4. If a neighbor complains, your 5th tenant may be forced to leave.

In any case, another person is adding wear-and-tear to the house, using applainces, walking on the floors, etc. If I were the LL, I would charge more.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Check your local zoning laws. Most places have a set number of unrelated people who can share a house, I suppose to discourage rooming houses in residential areas. Here is it 4. If a neighbor complains, your 5th tenant may be forced to leave.

In any case, another person is adding wear-and-tear to the house, using applainces, walking on the floors, etc. If I were the LL, I would charge more.

Yes, I am familiar with unrelated occupancy limits; I once lived in a place that decided it didn't like the way the free market worked, so they made unlawful unrelated occupancy greater than two.

This really discombobulated the owner of an 8BR house who wanted to rent it out to college students.

No zoning problem here, maximum permitted occupancy is (2 * BR) + 1.
(Obviously NOT a college town.)

Old 09-18-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post

What if you were a tenant who did not agree to the fifth person moving in and you think your rent should be decreased for the added annoyance, noise, etc?

Old 09-18-2011, 02:45 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What if you were a tenant who did not agree to the fifth person moving in and you think your rent should be decreased for the added annoyance, noise, etc?
I think it would be within your rights to object to the additional tenant moving in and/or a reduction in your rent, but that is between you and your co-tenants. The landlord is entitled to an increase in the rent and right of refusal if he does not want to add them, or the new tenant does not have good credit or a criminal background.

Last edited by CptnRn; 09-18-2011 at 03:45 PM..

Old 09-18-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I think it would be within your rights to object to the additional tenant moving in and/or a reduction in your rent, but that is between you and your co-tenants. The landlord is entitled to an increase in the rent and right of refusal if the new tenant does not have good credit or a criminal background.

Now there's another question...if someone moves out, the individual rents go up (to complete or perfect the aggregate rent) until the vacancy is filled. What recourse does a tenant have if the landlord lollygags in filling the vacancy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting