Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 03:53 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,797,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhed831 View Post
This is much more comprehensive:

Pennsylvania Landlord Tenant Law
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 05:43 AM

668 posts, read 2,190,142 times
Monday, call the your local Health Department, and Building Inspector, and inform him of whats going on.

Each City has one, and each County should have one also. Just look in the Yellow Pages under Government, and locate your County or City.

Landlords must supply Heat to tenants in the Wintertime. To not do this is a voilation of some code, (varries from jurisdiction to jurisdiction), and they will inform you which code that is.

The GAS COMPANY is going to be 'livid' when they find that the tag was taken off, by the guy, and that makes your LandLord responsible if something happens... I hope you got his (the guys name who took the tag off), name, so you can report it Monday to the Gas Company.. They 'will' be mighty interested in that developement . There are enough 'furnace supply' stores in Pennsylvania to get this part ASAP, if its that severe, instead of waiting til Tuesday.

I would always keep a few smoke detectors handy, with a landlord of this nature, because of his 'rubber-banding' of critical accesories that can cause such catastropic consequences, (being burned out of your home, is in my opinion, catastropic as it comes!!).

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 11-27-2011, 01:36 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,096,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkingmenace View Post
Monday, call the your local Health Department, and Building Inspector, and inform him of whats going on.

Each City has one, and each County should have one also. Just look in the Yellow Pages under Government, and locate your County or City.

Landlords must supply Heat to tenants in the Wintertime. To not do this is a voilation of some code, (varries from jurisdiction to jurisdiction), and they will inform you which code that is.

The GAS COMPANY is going to be 'livid' when they find that the tag was taken off, by the guy, and that makes your LandLord responsible if something happens... I hope you got his (the guys name who took the tag off), name, so you can report it Monday to the Gas Company.. They 'will' be mighty interested in that developement . There are enough 'furnace supply' stores in Pennsylvania to get this part ASAP, if its that severe, instead of waiting til Tuesday.

I would always keep a few smoke detectors handy, with a landlord of this nature, because of his 'rubber-banding' of critical accesories that can cause such catastropic consequences, (being burned out of your home, is in my opinion, catastropic as it comes!!).

I wish you well...

Jesse
thanks for your response---will be meeting with multiple agencies monday---furnace that was turned on by ll's friend again blew out grates this am---gas company returned,turned off gas to unit again----landlord notified---no response---looks like we are heading towards legal issues,more things to infuriate female ll and maybe temporary housing???

the female ll feels that giving us a space heater meets the need for providing heat for the winter(it heats 100 sq feet of a 6 room house)

Old 11-27-2011, 05:57 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,266,266 times
I do not live in your area, however you certainly have valid concerns. I would follow the advise of all the agencies that you are working w/. Make sure they all know that you have no altenative housing, are at risk re: your lung issues, and that your daughter has just been seriously ill. I would hope that you already contacted Salvation Army, also are their Senior advocates in your area? Ant Senior programs, incl. legal that you can call?? I would get help urgently. Here in N.D. and it is my understanding, most states you just dial 211 for any resource question that you have. I am hoping you have that in your area too. Tell the same story to all, you are doing a very good job, you are proubibly at risk, w/ the LL I wouldn't trust any repair they made at this point. I would call inspectors back w/ anything they do repair. Hopefully you will get help to move to safer housing. Be safe, also are there carbon monoxide alarms there?? I would get one. You mentioned also, a duplex....are the other renters having same issues? Gas is nothing to mess w/ I once had a match blow out, just seconds, so I restruck a match to light a pilot light, outside waterheater in Calif. It gave new meaning to "I didn't know what hit me" it was maybe 2-3 seconds, but blew a huge ball of fire right at my face, I had lots of burns, and felt lucky to be alive. Please continue to try to get help, and I certainly hope you can get moved asap. Tape the LL while she is yelling, my opinion, but that is what I would do. Be safe

Last edited by JanND; 11-27-2011 at 06:05 AM.. Reason: added sentence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting