Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 07:48 PM

69 posts, read 174,830 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
I need some kind advice (no sarcastic remarks please).
A friend of mine and myself were evicted from am apartment cause of lack of money. This has damaged our credit quite a bit and we can not afford to pay the apartment the money back to clear our credit.
My question is that friends have suggested to us that there are people who rent out their home (small 2-3 bedroom home in a safe community) without doing a credit check. Where would I need to look for these type of rentals? I am coming to you all for this advice because my friend and I are tired of renting out rooms and having to live with others (we have done so for years now), we want our own place again in a safe community.
Thank you in advance for your kind warm advice.
Have a good day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 08:02 PM

819 posts, read 3,217,319 times
I can't speak for all, but most people who rent out their homes do a credit check also. Have you thought about buying a house instead?

Old 01-04-2012, 08:14 PM

9,935 posts, read 23,253,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdotAllen View Post
I can't speak for all, but most people who rent out their homes do a credit check also. Have you thought about buying a house instead?
Doesn't sound as though they could get a mortgage at this time because of the stated credit issues.

In my experience, very, very few landlords/homeowners rent their property without a credit check.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:50 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,763,655 times
I am a landlord and I do credit checks. However, you can always look for a place on craigslist and respond to the ads and simply ask what the requirements are. If the eviction occurred quite a while back and your have good current landlord references and good job history you might have a chance at finding an owner who'd consider you. Much of it depends on how long ago the eviction was, what you have been like as far as being a tenant and having steady income since then, and if you get lucky and find a more flexible owner.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:56 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,949,751 times
If you know the area you want to live, drive around and look for a private rental by owner. Talking to an owner in person may get you better results than dealing with a corporation. Be honest and up front with the financial problems and a private LL is more likely to rent something to you.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:46 AM

2 posts, read 3,529 times
Be upfront tell the landord what your issues were. They may charge you an extra deposit, but may still rent to you. Many people I rent to have lost their jobs, and had to transfer to get a job. As a realtor I understand this, I have been in their place we went down with Enron. One day great credit and the next it was all gone. I look at what your credit looked like before the problems happened, what have you done since to help it get better? Don't give up hope.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:07 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,709,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulip_dove View Post
Hi there,
I need some kind advice (no sarcastic remarks please).
A friend of mine and myself were evicted from am apartment cause of lack of money. This has damaged our credit quite a bit and we can not afford to pay the apartment the money back to clear our credit.
My question is that friends have suggested to us that there are people who rent out their home (small 2-3 bedroom home in a safe community) without doing a credit check. Where would I need to look for these type of rentals? I am coming to you all for this advice because my friend and I are tired of renting out rooms and having to live with others (we have done so for years now), we want our own place again in a safe community.
Thank you in advance for your kind warm advice.
Have a good day
Craigslist, some people who small time landlords don't do a credit check. Sometimes they will say "no credit check" on the ad and just paystubs. But sometimes these places are not the greatest.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:17 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,547,121 times
No credit check places are not generally what many many people would consider "safe" neighborhoods. Or if they are, in my area, they are one step away from a foreclosure. Or in the experience of recent prospective tenants, roach motels and moldy. Just based on phone calls I get and my personal feelings as one who owns and rents out a small single family home in a low income neighborhood. You need to meet with me in person, fill out the application fully, allow me to pull your credit, and tell me your story. Your current income, employment verification, and references are much more important to me, your credit and background check tells me if your full of S**T or are telling the truth. Any potential tenant who does not want to submit to a check is just too much of a risk for me to hand over my house to. I failed to do checks on the last three tenants and got totally screwed by all 3. In my opinion, landlords who don't do checks either know the system and have the money, time and willingness to evict you ASAP following your first late payment, or, they are very naive, or they have unlimited amounts of cash to make payments when the tenant fails to do so.

In your case, I would ask you to find a co-signer. I did that with my first applicant this time around, and no one would cosign for her. This tells me that they know she is not a good risk.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:11 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,163,081 times
I agree with Wireyourworld...you will have a hard time finding a nice place, in a nice area, with an eviction on your credit.

I suggest that you always be honest and up front with all prospective landlords and be prepared to put extra money down. Try and do what you can to pay off the money you owe, it will only help you in the long run.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:38 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,776,163 times
This would be a good situation for one of the apartment locator services.

But I would agree that any landlord who will accept a tenant after an eviction is either a fool or someone who is ready to bounce a tenant onto the street asap if you don't pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting