Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 02:47 PM

948 posts, read 3,356,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
If they aren't breaking any laws/ordinances there isn't much you can do. And really why should you be able to? And it isn't like a LL can just make changes to a lease at any point anyway. They would have to wait for a lesae renewal.

What exactly bothers you? The noise?
Ah, yeah, it's the noisy kegger parties. It is a noise violation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 03:31 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,347,241 times
And the police didn't do anything about it?

Old 02-24-2012, 03:47 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
If the landlord won't do anything, keep calling the police. They will get sick and tired of you calling and will end up contacting the landlord. In my city, a landlord ( or homeowner) can be fined for noise violations. The first time it's $100. Second time it's $175 with a notice being given to the landlord). The third and final time it's $300 ( with both tenant and landlord getting a ticket)

This is how I got the guy across the hall thrown out. I called the police and made a complaint (in writing) to the landlord. I called every time there was a party. The last time he had a party, the police were here three times and he was evicted within weeks.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:01 PM

186 posts, read 351,879 times
Put up a good fence,It will cut down the noise a littlebit.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:20 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,001,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
If the landlord won't do anything, keep calling the police. They will get sick and tired of you calling and will end up contacting the landlord. In my city, a landlord ( or homeowner) can be fined for noise violations. The first time it's $100. Second time it's $175 with a notice being given to the landlord). The third and final time it's $300 ( with both tenant and landlord getting a ticket)

This is how I got the guy across the hall thrown out. I called the police and made a complaint (in writing) to the landlord. I called every time there was a party. The last time he had a party, the police were here three times and he was evicted within weeks.
And in my (former) neighborhood, if you call the police too often you can get fined for calling them too often or worse.

My suggestion is to MOVE.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:35 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,973,982 times
Get to know the laws and regulations in your town about noise. What level of noise are people allowed to make? Are there times when a reasonable amount of quiet is required and then start calling the cops every time they are in violation of the laws. What the police will or won't do and what they can do is going to vary by town.

My old cranky neighbor used to call the cops on me and my upstairs neighbor all the time. It was a huge pain in the butt for both of us. She generally didn't have any grounds to call the cops and I still ended up with a few verbal warnings from the police for things like sitting on my patio chatting at 11pm on a Saturday. The police officer would roll his eyes and do nothing most of the time but occasionally would be say something like I could hear you from the curb so technically you are in violation. Neither of us every really got in any trouble but I'm fairly certain it was one of the reasons my upstairs neighbor moved.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:50 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
And in my (former) neighborhood, if you call the police too often you can get fined for calling them too often or worse.

My suggestion is to MOVE.

Only if you're calling for stupid stuff..in my city there is a law on the books regarding noise...the police won't ticketing you for calling about loud parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting