Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2012, 11:27 AM

10 posts, read 19,337 times

Advertisements

We just moved out of a rental house. Landlord emailed me today stating she can't get the stains out of master bedroom carpet and it may need to be replaced. I have an email from Nov. 2010 that I had sent her stating that the carpet in master had gotten soaked from a plumbing issue that they let go for 3 months.

She is also trying to say the house is infested with fleas from my cats. My cats are indoor cats, and do not have fleas. I had just had them at the vet 2 weeks before we moved out and they said nothing about fleas.

Another thing she has mentioned is that we neglected the yard and she has had to spend 2 days at the house doing yard cleanup. We had someone come the day before we moved out and raked the entire yard. the only thing there was was a pile of schrubs and leaves to be burned.

She hasn't said yet what she is charging us. She says she has a few things more to fix before she can fill us in on the deposit.

so here's my question. We moved out on the 1st of Feb. Left around 9am with the moving truck. She had the house listed on Craigslist on Feb 3rd by 11am saying available for immediately occupancy.

What proof does she need to give me about fleas?? How much can she charge be for burning leaves when she says she is doing it herself? Can she charge me for the carpet when i have an email to her stating that the carpet was soaked again from a plumbing issue they weren't fixing??

Can she charge me for any repairs that are done after the 3rd since she had it listed as available immediately???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 11:53 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,405,537 times
hopefully you have pictures of everything?
that would make everything easy.
your lease will tell you what she can and can't do.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:16 PM

19,448 posts, read 27,889,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliann95 View Post
We just moved out of a rental house. Landlord emailed me today stating she can't get the stains out of master bedroom carpet and it may need to be replaced. I have an email from Nov. 2010 that I had sent her stating that the carpet in master had gotten soaked from a plumbing issue that they let go for 3 months.
Soaked is not the same thing as stained. Soaked carpet dries and may look just fine (but may also have mold - but you've already lived with it so that's irrelevant). If you stained the carpet and the stain cannot be removed, you will need to pay for that.

Quote:
She is also trying to say the house is infested with fleas from my cats. My cats are indoor cats, and do not have fleas. I had just had them at the vet 2 weeks before we moved out and they said nothing about fleas.
Did you lease allow you to have pets? If not, you're hung on this one, too. If the lease did allow you to have pets, you can require that she provide proof that she had to pay something for extermination of the fleas. You would be responsible for that cost. Ask for an invoice.

Quote:
Another thing she has mentioned is that we neglected the yard and she has had to spend 2 days at the house doing yard cleanup. We had someone come the day before we moved out and raked the entire yard. the only thing there was was a pile of schrubs and leaves to be burned.
Show her the receipt proving that you had someone come the day before we moved out to rake the entire yard. BUT - why didn't you or your help dispose of the leaves and shrubs? If she had to do it, that's HER having to clean up after you neglected to clean up the yard. And she may not have been allowed to burn the leaves (no burn days, not allowed under city statutes, etc.)

Quote:
She hasn't said yet what she is charging us. She says she has a few things more to fix before she can fill us in on the deposit.

so here's my question. We moved out on the 1st of Feb. Left around 9am with the moving truck. She had the house listed on Craigslist on Feb 3rd by 11am saying available for immediately occupancy.
It usually takes a bit of time to find a new tenant. Advertising the place, showing it and explaining to a prospective tenant that there are some things that still need to be completed (like new carpet) is quite normal and acceptable. The place was livable, and a new tenant could have occupied it immediately, while she continued to make the few repairs that were necessary.

Quote:
What proof does she need to give me about fleas?? How much can she charge be for burning leaves when she says she is doing it herself? Can she charge me for the carpet when i have an email to her stating that the carpet was soaked again from a plumbing issue they weren't fixing??

Can she charge me for any repairs that are done after the 3rd since she had it listed as available immediately???
She can charge you for these items what she can prove it cost her to fix them. Ask for receipts. If she burned the leaves, she can charge you whatever it would have cost her to get somebody else to do it. If she has no receipts, you may have some success at getting some of your money refunded.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:17 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,760,182 times
I was in an apartment with a serious water leak- the carpet was stained from the incident.

I would want to see the receipt from the carpet cleaning company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting