Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 04:59 PM

1 posts, read 8,657 times

Advertisements

Recently my roommate and I signed a lease on an apartment in Washington. When we walked through the apartment for the first time it was when the last tenants were still living in it, we saw that there were a few stains on the carpet, and were told by the LL that they would be professionally cleaned.

After the tenants moved out and the carpets were professionally cleaned, we were given the keys. (we don't think the LL saw the carpets after they were cleaned) Once we saw the carpets without all of the furniture they had, we saw there were many obvious urine stains (they had a dog, and there was an odor after the cleaning even) on the carpet. We are delaying moving into the apartment until we can get in the LL into the apartment to see it. We have a small cat who hasn't had any issues with her litter box, but we don't want that to change because of the other pet urine in the apartment.

We have already signed the lease, and want to stay in the unit long term. What is the usual protocol for this? We were able to get in touch with the LL and he said he would take a look at it, and also gave us the option of tearing up the lease, which I see as a bad sign.

Any insight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 05:15 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,680,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebap View Post
What is the usual protocol for this? We were able to get in touch with the LL and he said he would take a look at it, and also gave us the option of tearing up the lease, which I see as a bad sign.

Any insight?
I think your first impression is a good one. I would really be concern if the LL is willing to just let you out of the lease without verifying that the carpet is or isn't in need of attention. You would think that being informed of issues, they would want to see how bad, and if they missed anything else.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:50 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
I think it is smart you are addressing this now...

The ball is in the owner's court.

What you describe does happen... I had it a couple of years ago and the solution was to treat and seal the hardwood and install new pad and carpet in the affected bedroom.

Previous tenant was "Babysitting" a family dog for several weeks and locked the dog in the spare bedroom while she was at work...

Old 03-03-2012, 07:24 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Recently my roommate and I signed a lease on an apartment in Washington. When we walked through the apartment for the first time it was when the last tenants were still living in it, we saw that there were a few stains on the carpet, and were told by the LL that they would be professionally cleaned.

After the tenants moved out and the carpets were professionally cleaned, we were given the keys. (we don't think the LL saw the carpets after they were cleaned) Once we saw the carpets without all of the furniture they had, we saw there were many obvious urine stains (they had a dog, and there was an odor after the cleaning even) on the carpet. We are delaying moving into the apartment until we can get in the LL into the apartment to see it. We have a small cat who hasn't had any issues with her litter box, but we don't want that to change because of the other pet urine in the apartment.

We have already signed the lease, and want to stay in the unit long term. What is the usual protocol for this? We were able to get in touch with the LL and he said he would take a look at it, and also gave us the option of tearing up the lease, which I see as a bad sign.
Any insight?
Yep, this LL doesn't sound like the type that will fix, or replace that carpet....the market is probably in his favor. Renters must be a dime a dozen, and no need to try to smooze them w/ empty promises, like a really clean carpet. I would keep looking, especially since you are looking for a long term rental. You want to be treated well and be happy in your surroundings.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:40 PM

912 posts, read 5,260,722 times
If you do end up moving in with this carpet,

TAKE A TON OF PICTURES before you bring all your stuff. That way, when you move out and the LL blames your cat or the stains, you can show him the pictures and say "pre-existing damage!"

Old 03-06-2012, 02:37 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Listen to your gut feeling. Your cat is NOT going to be happy and may end up peeing all over the place if that carpet isn't replaced.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:05 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times
I was apt hunting lately for my very 1st apt...I plan/hope to move this summer. I wouldn't sign anything until I've seen the place AFTER any previous renter has moved out & I can see EVERYTHING from ceiling to the floor in which I'll have my camera.

I even thought that maybe it would be a good idea to purchase a BLACKLIGHT...those special lights that show any kind of bodily fluid stains on carpets, walls, etc. Does anyone know how much those things run? Doesn't it have to be pretty dark in the room for the blacklight to show anything? So, I don't kow how well that will work when apt leasing offices close in the late day when it's still light outside.

Last edited by Forever Blue; 03-06-2012 at 08:27 PM..

Old 03-06-2012, 08:13 PM

249 posts, read 803,430 times
Don't move in. Period.
Once you do, you will not win.
Go to see the landlord in person. Whatever he says, get it in writing.
Unless and until he removes the old carpet and pad, disinfects and deodorizes the floors and baseboards, and installs brand new carpet and pad - don't move in.

And if it was a dog's home before, you will not have a happy cat. This will cause permanent psychological damage to your little one.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:12 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,670,273 times
Quote:

Any insight?
Take the landlord up on his offer and keep looking. Especially if the stains smell and can't be covered up by your furniture.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:32 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:

Any insight?
You are fortunate that the landlord is willing to let you out of the lease, since you inspected the place before signing the lease. If you really want the place, you might consider negotiating with the landlord to replace the carpet and pad in exchange for a slightly higher rent. Maybe even agree to a 2 year lease in addition. Look for a win-win situation for both of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting