Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 11:07 AM

119 posts, read 316,676 times

Advertisements

Hi! I need some advice. I decided to sublet from a woman. I just found out that it is an apartment - so I'd be the subtenant, and this building does not allow subleasing. So.....I don't want to be part of the lease violation in the first place.

Second, she agreed to give me the keys on the first of the month to begin moving things in, everytime I ask for the keys, she puts it off another day.

So I contacted her yesterday, telling her that I dont want to move in, I feel uneasy about being part of a lease violation and that she keeps not giving me keys which makes me feel more uncomfortable. I paid her an $800 security deposit and $400 for half rent in April, and am to rent month to month

I told her how I felt, and that it didnt make sense for me to move in, but I'd be ok with her keeping a total of $200 for her time. And rather than move in and give notice right away and move out, she could begin looking for a new tenant and return the $1000 to me.

I really think this is fair - but she is not happy.

I believe I would win in small claims court because she didnt even have the right to sublease and misled me.

But I am seeking advice. Please help. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 11:44 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,675,099 times
Are you 100% sure that she didn't have sub-leased abilities? Just casue the building has a no sublease or sub tenant rule, does not mean she didn't have an exception or was grandfathered under an older lease.

if yuo are 100% sure, send her a written letter by certified mail return receipt requested detailing the reason yuo are canceling the move in and highlight the violations your concerned about. Request a return of ALL you monies within the time period your state law require it be returned, minus any amount your state laws say they can keep.

DO NOT make up any old amount you think is fair for them to keep because when you do that, you are indicating to them that you do not wuish to use state law for your protection and will accept whatever you two agree on. What if she counters with offering you only $100 back? The first thinga judge will want to know is why are you here now when you agreed not to use state laws to being with.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:20 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
You absolutely must find out whether or not she's allowed to sublease (if she were it's standard that she would give you not only a copy of the main lease but also a sublease agreement between you and her). Under no circumstances offer her any money for her trouble. You either get everything back or you take her to small claims court where, as long as you can prove that she's not allowed to sublease, you'll win in a blink. She can't come into court with dirty hands and win a cent.

Call the property owner (or property management company) to verify your suspicion that the apartment can't be subleased and, if that's confirmed, email the woman immediately advising her of such and demanding the return of all the money you've paid her within seven days. Follow it up with a copy sent by return receipt certified mail and, if you hear nothing from her, file your suit in small claims court as soon as possible.

If she is allowed to sublease the apartment, that's*another matter but it nonetheless sounds very fishy since it seems you've signed nothing and she hasn't handed over any keys to you even though you've paid her. Good luck!

Old 04-11-2012, 01:13 PM

119 posts, read 316,676 times
Thanks.

I am 100% sure that she is not allowed to sublease the unit. I talked to the landlord

This whole thing makes me feel very uneasy - but moving is expensive and I havent even found a place to live, so i can't just throw 1200 away....

Old 04-11-2012, 01:31 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
If you move in after talking to the landlord, the next thing is he will evict all of you and you will have to move twice. Send her the registered letter as detailed above.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:35 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,361,116 times
Tell her you want your money back or you are calling her landlord and letting him know she is trying to sublet her place.

It seems this would be a good reason never to pay someone money to sublet without talking to the actual owner first.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
It seems this would be a good reason never to pay someone money to sublet without talking to the actual owner first.
Better (and avoiding going to the trouble of talking to the LL) make sure that there's a sublease to sign AND that this is accompanied by a copy of the original lease between the tenant and the LL. This is normal practice as in a sublease you're bound to abide by the terms of the main lease agreement and obviously need to know all of its terms and conditions in order to comply.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:42 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,049,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanel24 View Post
Hi! I need some advice. I decided to sublet from a woman. I just found out that it is an apartment - so I'd be the subtenant, and this building does not allow subleasing. So.....I don't want to be part of the lease violation in the first place.

Second, she agreed to give me the keys on the first of the month to begin moving things in, everytime I ask for the keys, she puts it off another day.

So I contacted her yesterday, telling her that I dont want to move in, I feel uneasy about being part of a lease violation and that she keeps not giving me keys which makes me feel more uncomfortable. I paid her an $800 security deposit and $400 for half rent in April, and am to rent month to month

I told her how I felt, and that it didnt make sense for me to move in, but I'd be ok with her keeping a total of $200 for her time. And rather than move in and give notice right away and move out, she could begin looking for a new tenant and return the $1000 to me.

I really think this is fair - but she is not happy.

I believe I would win in small claims court because she didnt even have the right to sublease and misled me.

But I am seeking advice. Please help. Thank you!
You should be able to sue her in small claims court and recover your loses, but you will probably need something in writing from the property owner saying she is not allowed to sublease, to use as evidence in court.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:23 AM

936 posts, read 2,201,839 times
Be sure that you aren't creating your own damages by trying to get yourself in trouble by talking to the landlord. What damages have you actually incurred? Doesn't seem like any. I'm not saying that you haven't been wronged, but the issue doesn't seem to have created any issues for you yet.

Most courts will hold you accountable to actually mitigate damages. If you are able to get the landlord's permission to stay then there won't be any damages. In our state, judges are pretty liberal with respect to tenant's rights. It would be fairly likely that they would let you stick around so long as you were deceived and so long as you were living there in accordance with the original lease.

I realize it's an uncomfortable situation, but you best bet is to get formal persmission from the landlord. Absent that, you'd be hard pressed to sue for damages where there haven't been any yet.

ps- not legal advice- seek an atty.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousah View Post
Be sure that you aren't creating your own damages by trying to get yourself in trouble by talking to the landlord. What damages have you actually incurred? Doesn't seem like any. I'm not saying that you haven't been wronged, but the issue doesn't seem to have created any issues for you yet.

Most courts will hold you accountable to actually mitigate damages. If you are able to get the landlord's permission to stay then there won't be any damages. In our state, judges are pretty liberal with respect to tenant's rights. It would be fairly likely that they would let you stick around so long as you were deceived and so long as you were living there in accordance with the original lease.

I realize it's an uncomfortable situation, but you best bet is to get formal persmission from the landlord. Absent that, you'd be hard pressed to sue for damages where there haven't been any yet.

ps- not legal advice- seek an atty.
The OP isn't contemplating suing for damages. She may have to sue to simply get the money back which was illegally taken from her in contemplation of a contractual agreement which the other party is legally unable to fulfill. She has no lease, no keys and the woman has already taken $1200 of her money for an apartment she can't even legally sublease. The landlord cannot agree to the OP living in the apartment since his lease agreement is with the current tenant. The only way he can rent to the OP is if he evicts the present tenant and enters into a new lease agreement with the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting