Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2012, 12:59 AM

2 posts, read 7,009 times

Advertisements

The quick and dirty:

- Have been in the same house with roommates for several years and we are month to month on a lease that was originally one year. The four of us signed the lease together.
- I am going to give them and our landlord a 30 day notice that I am moving out
- I do not want to be on the lease anymore, so I am not willing to sublease
- I want my security deposit back

Question:
What is the best way to handle this? I am going to tell my roommates and my landlord that I am moving out and not renewing my month-to-month portion of the lease. Does that, in effect, mean that we are not renewing th lease and that he is required to return my deposit (and thus requiring my roommates to sign a new lease, should he require). Or do we all three have to agree to not renew the lease?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 01:02 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,599,484 times
I am far from an expert, and hopefully someone else will speak up to assist, but normally anything "month to month" is just that - month to month - there is no renewing involved. If you leave, can the landlord make them resign? Maybe - but what do you care?

What City is this?

Old 05-25-2012, 08:20 AM

2 posts, read 7,009 times
Santa Monica

Old 05-26-2012, 12:34 AM

8,553 posts, read 10,978,234 times
How was the security deposit paid?
Did each of you contribute an equal amount, or did just one of you pay the whole amount to the landlord, then collected the equal amounts from each roommate?
The landlord is only concerned with the total amount of the security.
That security is to cover damage to the unit.
I don't think the landlord will be returning any security until the unit is vacated by all tenants.
If you want your share of the security back, you will have to get your roommates to return it to you.
What ever amount they pay to you, they will get back from the landlord when they vacate.
Bob.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:00 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,394,577 times
CALGUY is correct. They will have no issue, most likely, with letting you off the lease. However, the security deposit was paid to cover costs after the unit was vacated. If all the tenants leave, they will look at the security deposit. If only you leave, the landlord still has the right to keep the security deposit as it was with the premises. Your best bet is to try to get it from the roommates.

Also, never hurts to ask the LL...he may want to redo the whole lease with the 2 that are left and MAY agree to give you back your portion of the deposit. But guessing not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting