Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 10:42 AM

630 posts, read 1,717,675 times

Advertisements

We are in the process of evicting our current tenant for nonpayment of rent. We have listed it on CL and have alot of interest. Of courae people want to see it before signing a lease. In our lease we state that landlord can show property during lease with appointment. The tenant is hostile and will not respond to email. So can we set a time..inform tenant..and enter the residence even if she doesn't confirm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 10:52 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,399,081 times
I never show a property when there is any kind of issue with the current tenant. It's just too risky. Could be dirty, tenant there and they could say god knows what during the showing, etc. Just wait till they're out and it's clean.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:13 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
You want to show an apartment of a hostile tenant you are evicting? I'm not sure you are thinking this through.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:24 PM

The potential tenants are aware of the situation. Someone is in a time crunch to get their kids registered for school..but want to look first. Which of course is not unreasonable. If they can't look until the courts have the tenant out..they will have to find something else. I would like to rent to them..and they really want to rent the house. So I wondered what legally I am allowed to do.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:29 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,058,271 times
Legally you can show the apartment with the proper notice given to the tenant as per the lease. End of story. What's the problem?

Old 07-10-2012, 12:49 PM

912 posts, read 5,261,975 times
Bad. Bad. Bad idea.

Back when I was renting, I had a leak in the ceiling of my living room, our dishwasher didn't work (among many other problems), and the landlord wouldn't do anything about.

The apartment downstairs went up for rent. So I made it a mission to make an appearance every. single. time. they would show the apartment, and I would start asking the property management how come the place was falling apart and they'd never even bothered to return our calls. Very calmly and very politely I made a small scene.

By my calculations, I lost them 16 prospective tenants. All our stuff was then promptly fixed, and the 17th showing got them new renters.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
Legally you can show the apartment with the proper notice given to the tenant as per the lease. End of story. What's the problem?
The problem is the lease says we can by setting up an appointment (wording will be changed on next lease) and the tenant won't "set" an appointment.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:58 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,058,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Pajama mama~ View Post
The problem is the lease says we can by setting up an appointment (wording will be changed on next lease) and the tenant won't "set" an appointment.
Then you leave a note on their door, or hand it to them personally stating that the apartment will be shown on __DATE____ at _____O Clock. That is your appointment.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:59 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlitosBala View Post
Bad. Bad. Bad idea.

Back when I was renting, I had a leak in the ceiling of my living room, our dishwasher didn't work (among many other problems), and the landlord wouldn't do anything about.

The apartment downstairs went up for rent. So I made it a mission to make an appearance every. single. time. they would show the apartment, and I would start asking the property management how come the place was falling apart and they'd never even bothered to return our calls. Very calmly and very politely I made a small scene.

By my calculations, I lost them 16 prospective tenants. All our stuff was then promptly fixed, and the 17th showing got them new renters.

Why not finish out your lease then buy your own place so you can fix all the issues yourself when they happen. I would have evicted you the first renter you cost me, legally of course but your little "polite" scene would not have worked on me.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlitosBala View Post
Bad. Bad. Bad idea.

Oh my! We became unwilling landlords when hubby had to take a job out of state. It has been a nightmare. Honestly there is nothing TRUE the tenant can say bad about us. It's a single family dwelling that is about 4 yrs old. Only complaint was a roof leak that was promptly repaired. Of course she could lie..but it would be pretty obvious she was. I'm not dead set on showing it..I just wanted to know if I could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting