Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 02:25 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,939,818 times

Advertisements

I can't imagine having let a LL in on so many of my personal details.

If they're not exceeding residency limits for the amount of space, I don't think it's the LLs business who visits and how often they do. You also shouldn't be involved in how many dinner plates a tenant owns, or the color of their couch. Boundaries people!

If I were the LL though, I'd say no to the gate pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 02:29 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,396,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
I have met him when we went and did a repair to the condo. So, if I require that he completes an app and find he is not credit worthy or unemployed with no income, what would be my next step? My condo is one of less than 20 in the condo community (of 98 townhouses) with a renter. Very vocal HOA group. I would be quickly advised if there is trouble in my condo. One time my tenant's parking spot had an oil spot and immediately they emailed me demanding cleanup within 2 days.....very involved people live there -- many retirees who are outside in the courtyard in front of the condo quite often just visiting or reading on the benches in the flower garden.

all I can say is, in my experience of over 6 years residential property management of over 150 properties, if you let the tail wag the dog, you're gonna be sorry later. It's your choice.

Old 07-21-2012, 03:03 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
So, if I require that he completes an app and find he is not credit worthy
or unemployed with no income, what would be my next step?
Or you learn that he has a legal address, is perfectly fine financially,
asserts that he is an "occasional" guest, and has no interest in applying for anything.
Then what is the next step?

Yes *conversationally* you can (and should!) discuss the situation with your tenant...
and remind them of what clause 16 of the lease says and then *ask* the tenant how
they would prefer to go about things in light of the lease renewing in September.

Do it with a light hand on the reins.
---

Quote:
My condo is one of less than 20 in the condo community (of 98 townhouses) with a renter.
Very vocal HOA group. I would be quickly advised if there is trouble in my condo. One time my tenant's parking spot had an oil spot and immediately they emailed me demanding cleanup within 2 days... very involved people live there -- many retirees who are outside in the courtyard in front of the condo quite often just visiting or reading on the benches in the flower garden.
Sell. I couldn't live there myself nor expect any other normal person to endure that.

Old 07-21-2012, 03:06 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
I can't imagine having let a LL in on so many of my personal details.

If they're not exceeding residency limits for the amount of space, I don't think it's the LLs business who visits and how often they do. You also shouldn't be involved in how many dinner plates a tenant owns, or the color of their couch. Boundaries people!

If I were the LL though, I'd say no to the gate pass.

This isn't about exceeding residency limits nor is it about boundaries. It's about moving another resident in without adding them to the lease and getting approval from the landlord.

Old 07-21-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
It's about moving another resident in without adding them to the lease and getting approval from the landlord.
Actually it isn't. If it were as simple as you describe the matter would be settled already.

It's about the appearance of and suspicions about a situation that really can't be proven...
with an otherwise perfectly fine tenant living in the middle of nosey neighbor hell where
if anything was actually amiss it would have been reported to the OP 20 times over.

dogs porches hornets nests sticks

Old 07-21-2012, 06:27 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Actually it isn't. If it were as simple as you describe the matter would be settled already.

It's about the appearance of and suspicions about a situation that really can't be proven...
with an otherwise perfectly fine tenant living in the middle of nosey neighbor hell where
if anything was actually amiss it would have been reported to the OP 20 times over.

I think the landlord can prove it but why go there. Landlord is on the fence about pressing the issue about getting the "uncle" added to the lease. Landlord knows it's not an uncle and landlord knows the person is living there.

The issue here, if landlord mentions adding the uncle to the lease, there is a risk that a good tenant leaves. Is it worth the risk. That is the whole point of the original post. There does not seem to be any tenant issues with the nosey neighbors. It's really about following the rules of the lease versus landlord knowing the lease is being broken but should landlord look the other way because everything else is good with this tenant.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I think the landlord can prove it but why go there.
Because that's the crux of why it keeps getting rehashed.

However much we "know" we really don't *know*.
We can infer and impute and assert til the cows come home... but that doesn't change it.

Quote:
The issue here, if landlord mentions adding the uncle to the lease, there is a risk that...
Right. I've made these points several times over now. As have others.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:03 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Actually, if the rule is that only tenants....not guests....have gate keys, then extend your sympathies that it may be more convenient to give his guest a key, but you are not going to set a precedent by breaking it for one tenant.
If uncle then desires to become a co-tenant, then you can proceed along those lines.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:11 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

You've already proven that reading comprehension isn't your strong point, please go back and read the comment that I was refering to.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:21 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,346 times
Why would the "uncle" need to fill out an application? Just add that person to the lease.

If a family moved in would you require the husband, wife and each child fill out an application? What about if the wife doesn't work? Since the children wouldn't have work history you can't rent to them ...

I am guessing this is a two bedroom place? Wouldn't you think two people would be living there?

If two persons are living there they would need to gate remotes.

WHY is this so complicated for some?

I think I know what the REAL issue here is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting