Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2012, 06:17 AM

11 posts, read 47,208 times

Advertisements

My family and I recently moved into a new place in July from out of state. On the day we came by to get the keys from our landlord and start moving in, she told us she just learned that the previous tenants had used a cleaner with bleach to try to remove some stains from the carpet. Obviously this ruined much of the carpet and she said she was going to have those spots patched. So the next week, carpet people come by and say there are too many spots and it will have to be replaced. I really assumed she would probably wait until we moved out to replace it. But the next week she emails me and tells me they are coming by in a few days to replace it.
Besides this being a huge inconvenience moving all of my belongings out of the way right after I moved in, the real problem is my 1000 lb piano. She knows about it, and I reminded her it might be a problem for the carpet guys. She just said to move as much as I can and they would move the larger items as they are replacing the carpet.
The carpet people called this morning to let me know when they would be here, and I asked if my landlord told them about the piano. They said no and it would be an extra charge to move it.
My question is, should it be my responsibility to pay to have the piano moved or my landlords? I could see if I was the one who ruined her carpet, but honestly I don't feel this is my problem.
Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 06:32 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devdoz View Post
My question is, should it be my responsibility to pay to have the piano moved or my landlords?
It's ALL on the landlord.

If you're OK with the defects they should wait until you leave in a year or two...
or move you into another unit now.

Doing the re-carpet job in an occupied apartment is just dumb.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:39 AM

11 posts, read 47,208 times
It's her townhouse, so we couldn't go into another unit. I really don't understand why she needs to do this now either? She said she wanted to do it while it was still under warranty, but since someone ruined it with bleach, it obviously voided that.

I just want to make sure that legally I'm not responsible for paying $200 for moving the piano.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:33 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,889,611 times
The LL wants to replace the carpet. It's at her expense. Even the extra cost of moving big furniture.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:12 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
I almost never change carpet in an occupied unit... just too many potential problems.

If you were my tenant and OK with the carpet... I would tell you not to worry about it in writing so there would be no carpet charges when you move.

Just did that for a couple with a service dog... carpet was borderline and they have a dog... they said as long as it was clean and it was... they are ok with it and I made note on the rental agreement... so everyone is happy.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:48 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
landlord pays. the real issue here....landlord should have resolved the carpet issued BEFORE you moved in.

Landlord scheduled your move-in before resolving the carpet. She didn't want the place to sit empty with no rent being paid. Now she (and you) are suffering because of her urgency to get it rerented too soon.

You are going to have some very strong smells for a few days after the carpet is installed. You might need a hotel or might be ok leaving the windows open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting