Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 09:03 PM

7 posts, read 117,016 times

Advertisements

About a month or so ago I moved out of my apartment (Howard Co., MD) that I lived in for 4 years. Over the course of these 4 years, I was very careful that I did not cause too much damage to the apartment. Unfortunately, no matter how careful you are there *will* be some damage. In my case, it was a broken bookshelf and heavily used drip pans in the cooking range; I am being charged $30 for the shelf, and $12 for the 4 drip pans - both of which I am okay with. The other charges, however, seem hugely unfair to me.

Complete Carpet Replacement - $460
Full apartment painting and cleaning - $300
Kitchen cabinet base (under sink) - $65
Replacing damaged vinyl - $150
Replace 1 vertical blind + 3 mini-blinds - $180

Apartment Info: Area: 1100 sq ft. - I think this number includes the external extra storage room + the patio/balcony.

Isn't there something called 'normal wear-and-tear' that should be taken into account, especially after someone has lived there for 4 years? The pile thickness of the carpet is bound to go down when you have walked all over it for so long. Wouldn't the apartment complex have to replace it for the next tenant anyway? Why should I be the one to sponsor their carpet replacement cost? Mind you there were no stains or scratches on the carpet.

When I moved in, the apartment was not in the best shape to begin with. There were black stains all over the window frame, and on the bathroom floor. (It was probably mold, but I wasn't aware that that's what it was until recently learning what mold looks like.) In spite of noticing these things, I decided to overlook them because my new job required me to move and I did not have much time to keep hunting for an apartment so I had to go with this one. I did, however, make a note of these things on the inspection sheet. Keep in mind, though, that the apartment complex never made a single attempt to take care of the mold at any point during my stay there. Looking back, the unit was never ready for move-in. But like I said I was in a rush to sign up and in the subsequent years never found anything better to go to.

At the end of each year, the monthly rent has gone up by at least $90-$100. The bottom of the fridge and cooking range were rusted from the beginning and the rust would constantly peel off. While the rent went up, despite my numerous attempts to get a replacement refrigerator, I never did get it.

The one mistake I am kicking myself for is not taking pictures of the house at move-in and keep a copy of the move-in inspection sheet before turning it in to the leasing office.

It feels like the apartment co. is making *me* pay to spruce up the unit for the next tenant - something that *they* should be doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 11:07 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Damage is damage and should not be confused with normal wear and tear.

Paint seem odd especially if it was not new at move in.

How old is the carpet? Seven years is what I use

How did the cabinet base get damaged? Water leak?

Blinds... I buy blinds with lifetime warranties... so if they wear out, they will be replaced. The warranty does not cover bent slats or stains.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Damage is damage and should not be confused with normal wear and tear.
The only damage I did and which I admit to and am absolutely fine with paying for is the broken bookshelf and the soiled drip pans.

Quote:
Paint seem odd especially if it was not new at move in.
I have done nothing that could have ruined the paint or the walls. I never painted the walls with a color of my choice nor did I screw/drill holes to hang a wall painting or anything of that sort. I have exclusively used push-pins for my 2 wall clocks, and 2 calendars. So that's 4 pin-holes. How does that make me accountable for the 'kilz' and paint cost for the entire apartment?

Quote:
How old is the carpet? Seven years is what I use
I am not sure how old the carpet really is. When I moved-in, it wasn't a brand new one- only steamed+vacuumed. But my point is if the carpet needs to be replaced, then it's because of normal use. All i did was walk on it - there were never any spills or stains, I have no kids, no pets, no fireplace. Isn't that part of normal use? I have vacuumed it every 3-4 months and steam cleaned it once a year. Also, isn't there anything in the books that says the carpet needs to be replaced after 'x' number of years. Let me know if there is.

Quote:
How did the cabinet base get damaged? Water leak?
The sink regularly leaked for the first couple years at least, and then not so frequently but still did. I have placed numerous service requests for it, and every time maintenance stopped by to do a 'band-aid' fix that would temporarily stop the leaking. A couple days later I would see water dripping again. Finally, one day he had the faucet changed, which took care of the issue. But this was when I was well into the 4th year of my stay by which time the board had residual water stains.

Quote:
Blinds... I buy blinds with lifetime warranties... so if they wear out, they will be replaced. The warranty does not cover bent slats or stains.
The day I moved in I noticed that one of the slats in the vertical blinds for the patio door was missing. So maintenance stopped by to replace it. Problem was that the slat is a couple inches shorter than the rest of the ones. So I asked him to get me the correct size, specifically saying to him I do not want to be charged for the wrong size when I leave. He just brushed me off saying the office will ignore such minor details. Guess what - they DO NOT ignore them and now that service guy doesn't work here anymore. Definitely my mistake for not insisting on him getting the correct size. As for the mini-blinds, I have to check with them what the charge is due to. The only thing 'wrong' with them was they collected dust, but none of them are bent or broken or missing or stained.

Miscellaneous facts:
1. The HVAC unit leaked water, and the carpet in the pantry which is right beside it got totally wet. This issue also took at least 3-4 attempts to fix. Meanwhile the food in the pantry went bad from the recurring water leak. I did not think of moving the food to another place because - 1.) No spare space left. and 2.) I incorrectly assumed it wouldn't leak anymore every time he did it.

2. I lived on the ground level. Water would collect in my patio up to about 6 inches every time there was a thunderstorm. I had a "Welcome" mat kept in the patio in the beginning which was destroyed.

3. I had another mat outside the main door which was stolen during the day. Obviously, complaining to the office did me no good.

4. Last year they replaced the cooking range and in the process of taking the old one out scratched the back of my couch. My wife was the only one at home at that time, so she could not move the couch out of their way. I let the manager know about the couch but got no response or compensation.

The point of providing these miscellaneous facts is that I have chosen to overlook all of these things that were inconvenient to me. Wouldn't you expect the community to do the same taking the length of my stay into consideration? I know that argument doesn't hold much water, but I believe in goodwill. I have rented apartments with 3 other rental companies, and not once have I had to pay for anything other than carpet steam cleaning at move-out.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:30 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapterp View Post
I am not sure how old the carpet really is. When I moved-in, it wasn't a brand new one- only steamed+vacuumed. But my point is if the carpet needs to be replaced, then it's because of normal use. All i did was walk on it - there were never any spills or stains, I have no kids, no pets, no fireplace. Isn't that part of normal use? I have vacuumed it every 3-4 months and steam cleaned it once a year.
You vacuumed EVERY 3-4 MONTHS?!! Most people vacuum at least once a week (actually I know a lot of people who do a quick vacuum every day or two).

I don't think you should be charged for replacing a carpet if it was on its last legs anyway, but your admission of how rarely you vacuumed doesn't help your case. Sorry!

Last edited by karen_in_nh_2012; 08-24-2012 at 10:47 AM..

Old 08-24-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
[/color]

You vacuumed EVERY 3-4 MONTHS?!! Most people vacuum at least once a week (actually I know a lot of people who do a quick vacuum every day or two).

I don't think you should be charged for replacing a carpet if it was on its last legs anyway, but your admission of how rarely you vacuumed doesn't help your case. Sorry!

Wow, vacuum everyday?!! I'm surprised but I really do not have the time to vacuum more often than I did. Besides, I am not sure vacuuming more often would have helped. The reason I say this is that I am not being charged because the carpet was dirty but because the pile thickness of the rug has completely gone and the only option now for the office is to replace it for the next tenant. Would frequent vacuuming have slowed down the reduction of the pile thickness? (I suspect not, but I could be wrong. I would like to know though, so I can take the necessary precautions in my new apartment.)

Old 08-24-2012, 10:08 AM

17,428 posts, read 14,650,567 times
Honestly, your admission about how little you vaccum casts doubt on the cleanliness & general upkeep of your apartment.

Sorry.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:24 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Holy cow..you only vacuum once every 4 mths?!! That's your problem with the carpet...oh, boy, oh, boy just the thought of living like that makes me ill.

It sounds like housekeeping isn't your's or your wife's strong points.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:28 AM

461 posts, read 1,314,257 times
Agree with the others...it sounds like your "standard" of cleanliness was obviously different from the landlord's. Every 3-4 months? That is really gross. Sorry, but it is. Regular vacuuming helps maintain the carpet pile and prevents wear patterns from forming. Not to mention keeping dirt from being ground into the carpet.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:55 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapterp View Post
Wow, vacuum everyday?!! I'm surprised but I really do not have the time to vacuum more often than I did. Besides, I am not sure vacuuming more often would have helped. The reason I say this is that I am not being charged because the carpet was dirty but because the pile thickness of the rug has completely gone and the only option now for the office is to replace it for the next tenant. Would frequent vacuuming have slowed down the reduction of the pile thickness? (I suspect not, but I could be wrong. I would like to know though, so I can take the necessary precautions in my new apartment.)
Yes, regular vacuuming is THE number 1 way to prolong carpet life, at least according to everything I've read (including the written info I got when I replaced the carpet in the house I moved into a few months ago).

You didn't have time to vacuum more than 3-4 times a YEAR? When I vacuum the 2nd floor of my house -- 5 bedrooms, a long hall, 2 walk-in hall closets -- it takes maybe 20-25 minutes? I've never timed it so I'm not sure, but that sounds about right. Sorry, I'm sure it sounds like we are all picking on you, and clearly you didn't think there was anything unusual about vacuuming only a few times a year as you readily admitted it ... but, well, you are likely going to have to pay for that.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Honestly, your admission about how little you vaccum casts doubt on the cleanliness & general upkeep of your apartment.

Sorry.
Fine. If I am admitting to that, it also means the rest of what I said is also true. Add to that the fact that no other rental complex charged me for anything other than steam cleaning at move-out does say something about the upkeep of my unit. And all of the ones I have lived in for at least 2 years. And before anyone assumes these may have been run-down/cheap/subsidized localities, believe me they were not. They were among the higher charging communities in those cities. To me safety comes first, the rent comes second. Anyway, I digress.

My point is that the carpet (and the apartment, in general) wasn't so dirty that you could just walk in and notice a bunch of standing cobwebs and roaches, and bugs all over. It wasn't. Whether you believe it or not is a totally different question.

Secondly, I am fine with paying them for the steam cleaning, but not for the replacement. It wasn't in the best condition to begin with when I signed the lease.

Finally, the only parties that really know the 'before' and 'after' condition of the house are myself and the rental office - no one else. So let's just assume for the sake of the discussion that the condition of the apartment and the facts I have noted are exactly as I have described. What I am trying to figure out is:
1. Is what I am being charged a fair amount?
2. If not, what are my options?

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting