Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 11:14 PM

16 posts, read 37,546 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if I've been discriminated against or if this is a legal and legitimate rule. I currently am going through a divorce due to an abusive situation. I have custody of my 4 children, a full time job, receive child support, and am a part time student at our local community college. I recently applied for a very nice single family home. I turned in my application, application fee, first months rent, and last months rent. I was asked why I wanted to rent, so I told the landlord that I was selling my home because it was more than what I could afford on my own (this house was about half if the home I own with insurance etc.) I submitted my last three pay stubs to show that even without child support, I'm more than able to pay the rental amount and gas/electricity. Today, I got a call DENYING me because I'm a student. I tried searching for this but all I could find were people flinging around the excuse of "students are young, dirty, irresponsible, and likely to not pay rent." I am not young, dirty, or irresponsible. I'm a 27 year old, hard working, single mom, trying to make a wonderful life for my 4 children. I don't have perfect credit, but its not horrible either. I've never not gotten a deposit back, and I have a decent, steady income. I feel as if I've been horribly judged. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 11:54 PM

639 posts, read 1,964,506 times
They denied you because you have 4 young children, not because you're a student. No one expects a mom of 4 kids to be an irresponsible party girl just because she's a student. They just don't want 4 kids tearing up the place the way kids do. They aren't allowed to discriminate against people with kids, but it's almost impossible to prove.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee188 View Post
They denied you because you have 4 young children, not because you're a student. No one expects a mom of 4 kids to be an irresponsible party girl just because she's a student. They just don't want 4 kids tearing up the place the way kids do. They aren't allowed to discriminate against people with kids, but it's almost impossible to prove.
Tearing up what? I have rental referrals and a perfect rental history. So what are they tearing up?

Old 12-01-2012, 02:49 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
You state that you own a house but have a great rental history.
Did you have 4 kids while you were renting?

Old 12-01-2012, 03:09 AM

I've only owned my home for a year and 1 months.We bought it before he decided to break our vows. We had 3 while renting. I was pregnant when we bought the home. Our youngest was a super preemie with developmental delays. Despite her age, she is not mobile yet.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:18 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
You may not ever know exactly why you're being declined but if the LL has what he feels are better ( or a chance for better) applicants he simply may decide to avoid the several potential issues you present.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:20 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,454,139 times
discrimination or better prospects already applied?

you will never know, only wonder...such is the "legal" way (if you want to put it in those type of terms) LL's get around not allowing people they would rather not rent to in their buildings.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:44 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
You're 27 with 4 young kids, that's why he didn't choose you.

It has nothing to do with you being a student.

Was he judging you? Of course he was! Is that against the law? Nope. It's not. All he can see is a young single mom with 4 young kids and he's thinking multi daddies, noise, damage, drama...etc. It doesn't matter if his assumption is right or wrong, it's his property and he said no. Sorry.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:53 AM

639 posts, read 1,964,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romanceismusic View Post
Tearing up what? I have rental referrals and a perfect rental history. So what are they tearing up?
For example, I know a guy who rents out his house. He rented it to a mom with 2 kids. When he got it back, he found water damage everywhere, in strange places like the wall and ceiling. The neighbors reported to him that the mom allowed the kids to use water guns inside the house. All the cabinet doors were torn off from the kids using them to climb. The mom had multiple men frequently come by the house, and then these men started shooting at each other on an almost daily basis and the police had to cruise the neighborhood 24/7 to keep everyone safe. It was almost a crime-free neighborhood before this.

Does that mean your kids will destroy the house and you will invite a bunch of thugs to come by to shoot everything up? Of course not, but LLs don't want to take the risk anymore. By the way, the LL screens and said they seemed very nice and she had no criminal history.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:04 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,672,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
You're 27 with 4 young kids, that's why he didn't choose you.

It has nothing to do with you being a student.

Was he judging you? Of course he was! Is that against the law? Nope. It's not. All he can see is a young single mom with 4 young kids and he's thinking multi daddies, noise, damage, drama...etc. It doesn't matter if his assumption is right or wrong, it's his property and he said no. Sorry.
Aren't you a property manager. It's troubling that(and I'm sure it would be for your boss too) that you don't know that this is in fact against the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting