Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 12:36 PM

289 posts, read 776,369 times

Advertisements

What is considered a reasonable amount of time for snow to be removed from a property? We had a snowstorm that hit on Friday and lasted through Saturday night. Most of the snow has been removed from the sidewalk, but the parking lots are still ice skating rinks and there are several vehicles that can't get out.

Snow removal is included in my rent, but when it snows, it isn't always removed in a timely manner (I come home for lunch at noon and the sidewalks aren't always cleared).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 01:59 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Bound View Post
Snow removal is included in my rent, but when it snows, it isn't always removed in a timely manner

We had a snowstorm that hit on Friday and lasted through Saturday night.
What is considered a reasonable amount of time for snow to be removed from a property?
In most areas that I know of... 24hrs after the snow has stopped for WALKWAYS is par.

But unless it's described more specifically (like in your lease)...
the LL may have NO responsibility at all for parking areas.

Have you looked in your lease or called your LL to ask?

Old 12-17-2012, 03:53 PM

6,819 posts, read 11,548,200 times
Might also depend on the part of the country you're in, and its typical winter weather.

When I lived in Oklahoma City, they didn't even plow residential streets. So I wouldn't expect an apartment parking area there to be plowed either. And even in a lot that is plowed, they are probably only going to clear the aisles, not the parking spots themselves, so you're going to be backing out through the piled up snow anyway.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:25 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Snow removal is included in my rent, but when it snows, it isn't always removed in a timely manner (I come home for lunch at noon and the sidewalks aren't always cleared).
I think it's a little unrealistic to be annoyed because you happen to come home for lunch and the sidewalks aren't always cleared by then. Most state landlord tenant laws require that a LL remedy maintenance issues "within a reasonable time" and even common sense dictates that snow removal logically falls under this umbrella.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:54 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
I found a site that compares city rules in a variety of cities across the country: http://www.dsmic.org/documentstore/P...Comparison.pdf

As you can see looking at it, there is no set rule. In many areas, snow must be cleared each day by a certain time (I saw 9AM, noon, and 9PM, at least). In other cities, it is within anywhere from 2 to 24 hours after the snow stops falling. In still other areas, it depends whether it stops snowing during the day or during the night.

You will need to look at your lease and your city code, both, to see if this is addressed either place. If not, it probably defaults to "within a reasonable time"

Oh, and every city code on that list dictates sidewalks, at least one said roofs, but I didn't see any that mentioned parking lots. So for the parking lot, it would be in your lease if anywhere. In my area, if snow removal is included in the lease, it just means the sidewalks, because that is all that is required by city code. It does not include driveways. So definitely refer to your lease and see what "snow removal" includes.

Also, since this is a parking lot where people park all day and all night, rather than a grocery store or the mall, where it shuts down for x hours every night, expecting the entire parking lot to be plowed is unreasonable.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:31 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,410,495 times
Default well...

Quote:
What is considered a reasonable amount of time for snow to be removed from a property? We had a snowstorm that hit on Friday and lasted through Saturday night. Most of the snow has been removed from the sidewalk, but the parking lots are still ice skating rinks and there are several vehicles that can't get out.

Snow removal is included in my rent, but when it snows, it isn't always removed in a timely manner (I come home for lunch at noon and the sidewalkaiaren't always cleared).
I don't know... even though it's covered in your rental agreement I suppose it wouldn't kill you to pull out a shovel and remove the snow, unless your just waiting for an excuse to sue someone...it's your neck.
Koale

Old 12-18-2012, 02:04 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
I suggest that you invest $15 in a set of ***-tracks, the little snow studs that slip onto your shoes and are held by giant rubber bands. They work quite well and will make life safer for you.

Sometimes snow removal depends upon how fast the snow removal crew can get there, and there is very little reason to remove snow while the snow is still coming down, so it is very unlikely to be done before the storm is over.

On the parking lot, even if they clear the runways, you will still have to shovel out your individual parking spot.

Snow is something that happens and we all have to adjust. Mother Nature doesn't care what is convenient for Durango Bound. You adapt to her; she does not adapt to your needs.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:06 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
OK, now that is a very strange choice of words to not be allowed to write on C-D. Big hairy cow type creature in 3 letters, if you are trying to search for them. I think they are from Mongolia, although, I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:54 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
OK, now that is a very strange choice of words to not be allowed to write on C-D. Big hairy cow type creature in 3 letters, if you are trying to search for them. I think they are from Mongolia, although, I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.
lol, I've never heard them called that before. I had to google "cow like animal from Mongolia" to see what name these shoe studs might be called. It is apparantly a brand name: *** Trax.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:00 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
lol, I've never heard them called that before. I had to google "cow like animal from Mongolia" to see what name these shoe studs might be called. It is apparantly a brand name: *** Trax.
This thread has taken quite the hilarious turn! I couldn't for the life of me figure out what the three letter naughty word might be and even the Mongolian hint didn't register. Then my curiosity was further piqued by your post so, yes, I went ahead and did the same google. It's impossible to even hazard a guess why the word, "***", is condemned to asterisk Hades. And simply to spoil the fun, the word in question is You Already Know now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting