Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 10:47 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times

Advertisements

You WORK but your BROKE cant pay bills??? I dont get this! !st your Unemployed ...Now you Work so you cant be home????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 10:49 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Listen to the others and move out before the eviction is forever stamped on your record. It is a very bad blemish on your credit report and will cause you problems getting future rentals for many years to come, even if you are making six figures and have no other credit issues. Also it will cause issues getting future jobs, car loans, credit cards. It's real bad. IMO, you are better off moving to a shelter versus having an eviction on your record.

To avoid getting it on your record, move out and give possesion to the landlord (give keys, specify you moved already .) also make sure the courts know you moved out on XXX date.

Any landlord knows that if they try to work something out with someone that won't pay, that this usually equals the landlord giving free housing to that person for a longer period of time. The person usually never pays what is owed and just becomes dependent on the landlord giving breaks to the renter. It can go on and on and eventually the landlord says "uncle". Your landlord probably experienced this before and he cannot afford to give you free rent when you clearly cannot afford the place.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:24 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turlington View Post
The reason I'm not moving is because I am completely BROKE right now. Some people have never been in that situation and just don't get that sometimes theres no other option but to stay.

He just had no sympathy whatsoever and immediately went to the courts the instant I couldn't pay rent instead of trying to work something out with me. I cant be home today because of work so if he comes and takes the furniture out, theres nothing I can do about it.

He owes you nothing...not time, not sympathy, not sitting down and 'working it out'. You owe rent..you didnt pay it..he excerised his right as a landlord to get your butt out. Friend or not....he knew that if he let you stay, you'd NEVER leave.

What I don't get it is how you think an eviction on your credit is better than sleeping on someone's couch or renting a hotel for a few nights.

I suggest when you do find a job, live well below your means and for goodness sake, put some money in savings.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:28 AM

26 posts, read 92,811 times
I'm actually working only on weekends now. Not full time employed anymore. My landlord actually rents the place himself. Im on one floor of a 2 floor apt. And as for going to a homeless shelter in La, you can try it first and get back to me how it goes..

Old 02-03-2013, 11:33 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
I'm actually working only on weekends now. Not full time employed anymore. My landlord actually rents the place himself. Im on one floor of a 2 floor apt. And as for going to a homeless shelter in La, you can try it first and get back to me how it goes..
You will have to go eventually. Go to wherever that will be now, instead of later
Why stick somebody else with your problem ?
You want your friend to end up not being able to pay his rent and being evicted too?
If you have family, go to them. They're family and have more duty to you than he does.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:48 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Well..let us know how the rental search goes for ya when the eviction hits your credit report...that homeless shelter is going to look better and better everyday.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:04 PM

14,478 posts, read 20,657,588 times
I've seen a landlord evict someone in my neighborhood. If you had a lease, which it seems you do not, the lease could serve as the 5 day notice to evict (for non payment of rent by the due date stated in the lease) if the lease was written that way. If not written that way then when the rent is past due the landlord puts a 5 day notice on your door.

If you had no lease then you should have gotten a 5 day written notice of failure to pay rent by the due date.

I've seen it get to the magistrate. Once the eviction process is completed and you have been given x number of days or hours, to get out, if you do not leave here is what will happen.

The magistrate will come out and bring 2+ men with him. They'll have the legal authority to enter the premises and put all of your belongings on the side of the street. Furniture, clothes, etc.
I'd not let it get that far, just move in with a friend or family member. If the place was furnished you may only have a car or pickup load of stuff to take with you to your new dwelling.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:37 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
since you cannot afford an entire apartment yourself, how about you search craigslists/classifieds today and rent one room in a house or one room in an apartment. These are usually pretty reasonably priced and often you can rent by the week.

Since you are working weekends, at least you are getting some kind of income.

This way you rent the room and can get out of the rental apartment before the eviction goes on your record. Once the eviction goes on your record, you might have problems renting a room if anyone checks public record.

the eviction could be a multi-year problem that could be very harmful to you and this could cause future stays in homeless shelters because nobody will rent to you even if you have money. Staying until the eviction is official might give you a few weeks of free rent before everything is official. Then you're up-a-creek for the next 10 years due to the eviction on your record. Lost jobs, turned down for apartments, sky high credit card rates that add to your money woes, high loan rate for a car, etc.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:19 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Quote:
I'm having trouble finding a solid answer to this question, but basically my landlord wants me evicted due to me not being able to pay all of the rent. We are still awaiting an eviction trial.

I got home late tonight to find a note saying he's coming tomorrow (less than 24hrs from when I got the note) to take his furniture out of my place. We were friends, so we only had an oral lease agreement, but the apartment was furnished the day I moved in.

Does he have a right to take the furniture before I am formally evicted by the court?
That's nothing other than a pure jerk move on your LLs part but maybe he's worried you might retaliate against him and destroy his furniture. If you've ever seen what people do to their homes when they're being foreclosed on and have no hope of retaining the property....

Legally, what are you looking for? The law moves slowly so by the time you sought legal help, and if your LL is told to return the furniture, by the time he got around to following through, you'd probably already be evicted.

Best of luck to you.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:41 AM

26 posts, read 92,811 times
At this point he is going to get a judgement against me one way or another because i cannot afford to pay him and have money to move at the same time. I'm not too upset about staying here until I'm formally evicted because he's the one that chose the court route. I would never do that to anybody myself unless it was an extraordinary circumstance. That's just a jerk move in my opinion, given that I've never caused him problems and I didn't owe that much.

Luckily in this state they can't use those kind of reports against you for job searches and there are plenty of places that don't check those reports for renting too, so I'm not worried. And on a side note, I got home last night and the furniture was still there. Maybe he chickened out because he knew if he took it, I'd have something against him..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting