Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 04:38 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,454,139 times

Advertisements

its on your landlord to enforce the rules of his property. only get the authorities involved if you need to push your LL/management. even then all you want is police report to back you up if you have to break lease, its on you to prove it.

people (especially landlords) need to understand the rules they put in their own leases are the reasons people choose them over the actual living space. a lease is not "assumed"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Unless they're dealing or disturbing the peace, mind your own business.
i hope you don't rent out with any no smoking clause.
it is his business in this situation and not by choice.

Last edited by rego00123; 03-07-2013 at 04:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 07:14 AM

31 posts, read 216,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Unless they're dealing or disturbing the peace, mind your own business.

Perhaps the pot smokers should smoke it elsewhere so no one finds out/smells it in their apartment?

Old 03-07-2013, 07:39 AM

912 posts, read 5,261,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
1 call the cops and then call the landlord and tell him to come and meet the cops

2. call the fire department and tell them you smell a burning smell coming from the wall then call landlord and tell them you called the fire department. Then play dumb

3 Ask them to stop then call landlord this should be 1
Oh God.. you are one of those people, the worst kind; the type that cries wolf. You would waste police AND firemen time and resources over something as petty as a neighbor smoking pot? And then you advice to play it dumb?? No need to play it, as it seems to come naturally to you.

OP, this is what you do.

Go talk to your neighbors. Be calm and friendly. Tell them that their smoking pot inside the house is going over yours and that you can't stand it. You find the smell very offensive and ask them to please just take it outside. Do this a few times, THEN send a letter to the landlord.

But don't call police or firemen, nothing good could possibly come out of that. At best, you just wasted EMS resources, at worst you could get heavily fined (as you should over something so stupid) AND you'll make quick enemies with your neighbors, much less being hated by the entire block. Don't be that person.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:07 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,256,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlitosBala View Post
Oh God.. you are one of those people, the worst kind; the type that cries wolf. You would waste police AND firemen time and resources over something as petty as a neighbor smoking pot? And then you advice to play it dumb?? No need to play it, as it seems to come naturally to you.

OP, this is what you do.

Go talk to your neighbors. Be calm and friendly. Tell them that their smoking pot inside the house is going over yours and that you can't stand it. You find the smell very offensive and ask them to please just take it outside. Do this a few times, THEN send a letter to the landlord.

But don't call police or firemen, nothing good could possibly come out of that. At best, you just wasted EMS resources, at worst you could get heavily fined (as you should over something so stupid) AND you'll make quick enemies with your neighbors, much less being hated by the entire block. Don't be that person.
This.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't want someone's personal choice to smoke cigarettes to cause me to have to smell it, and wear it on my clothes, which is why I support all the "no smoking" rules in public places, like stores and restaurants.

And, I think most smokers are actually pretty courteous nowadays about trying to not cause other people discomfort from their smoking.

That said, if the neighbors are smoking inside the duplex and it is causing the OP to smell it through the walls and it is causing him some physical issues, then I support his right to contact the landlord.

If, however, the smokers are quietly taking a few tokes out on their back patio or wherever - NOT inside - and the OP wants to cause problems with the landlord and/or law enforcement over it just because he "dontlikeweed," then I say, again, he should just mind his own business and take the post by CarlitosBala to serious heart.

Besides, it seems to me - not from personal experience, of course - that someone would have to smoke a hell of a lot of weed for the smoke to get through the walls of the duplex enough to cause the OP any real discomfort.

And something else to consider, "dontlikeweed" - are you in a state that allows medical marijuana? It could very well be that your neighbors are smoking their medicine legally.

Of course, if they are doing it inside, they are still in violation of their lease and if you just want to be a PITA neighbor, go ahead and call your landlord. I just hope you never have an emergency some day where you need to call on your neighbors for help.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:04 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
i hope you don't rent out with any no smoking clause.
it is his business in this situation and not by choice.
That's the landlord's business and not the OP's.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:18 AM

1 posts, read 6,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
This.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't want someone's personal choice to smoke cigarettes to cause me to have to smell it, and wear it on my clothes, which is why I support all the "no smoking" rules in public places, like stores and restaurants.

And, I think most smokers are actually pretty courteous nowadays about trying to not cause other people discomfort from their smoking.

That said, if the neighbors are smoking inside the duplex and it is causing the OP to smell it through the walls and it is causing him some physical issues, then I support his right to contact the landlord.

If, however, the smokers are quietly taking a few tokes out on their back patio or wherever - NOT inside - and the OP wants to cause problems with the landlord and/or law enforcement over it just because he "dontlikeweed," then I say, again, he should just mind his own business and take the post by CarlitosBala to serious heart.

Besides, it seems to me - not from personal experience, of course - that someone would have to smoke a hell of a lot of weed for the smoke to get through the walls of the duplex enough to cause the OP any real discomfort.

And something else to consider, "dontlikeweed" - are you in a state that allows medical marijuana? It could very well be that your neighbors are smoking their medicine legally.

Of course, if they are doing it inside, they are still in violation of their lease and if you just want to be a PITA neighbor, go ahead and call your landlord. I just hope you never have an emergency some day where you need to call on your neighbors for help.
I think it was a joke read 3 were he said ask them to stop if that does not work call the landlord

Old 03-07-2013, 11:52 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
There are more grey areas than ever being a Landlord...

Examples...

We prohibit business use of residential property... the legislature declared a crisis in daycare that supersedes the no business provision... Landlord insurance policies exclude business liability.

We have a no smoking policy... city leaders have said this doesn't apply to medical pot.

We have a no pet policy... Law says service animals are not pets.

My insurance has a list of prohibited breeds and conducts site inspections... I have a disabled tenant with a pit-bull service animal... as sweet as can be.

In reality, being a landlord today is nothing compared to what it was even going back to when I started in the business.

Until a few years ago... I could simply issue a 30 day notice to ask someone to move... this is no longer allowed except for a few narrowly defined exceptions by law... my city enacted a Just Cause Eviction Ordinance where the burden is on the Landlord to prove the eviction is just.

Lets not even get into rent control... which Grandfathers certain tenants.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:54 AM

118 posts, read 887,321 times
college kids recently started smoking weed..... yeah, 99% sure not medically related. Not going to fly, even in a state that allows medical weed. They won't be able to produce a prescription.

You already said these kids were obnoxious. No sense talking to these potheads. They're immature.

If it were me, I'd call the police non-emergency number, speak to an officer, and ask their advice. Maybe you can convince them to come down, and who knows, they might find a large stash of weed and bust their asses.

Calling cops for non emergency is not a waste of resources. Cops often have little to do all day, and patrolling is what they are paid to do. If you get one of those power trippin officers, they might even enjoy busting these punkasses, no matter how small the offense.

Really though, the proper way is to talk to the landlord, and have the LL speak to the twerps on your behalf.
If nothing comes of it, then involve the cops, but get ready for a long passive aggressive battle.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:55 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,518,242 times
Just verbally tell the landlord. Then leave it out of your hands. Then move when your lease is up if the landlord chooses not to enforce.

The landlord can go do an inspection and sniff around themselves.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:16 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
A medical prescription costs $50 and is available on a walk in basis...

My city and many in the area even issued licenses for pot dispensaries... Washington State just made it legal with no medical card...

Local police... at least those in the Bay Area will not even respond to a call of the smell of weed... heck, they don't come out if you report your car was broken into or your home for most cases... citizens are directed to a website to file an online report.

Again... the erosion of Landlord rights have tied the Landlord's hands or made it expensive to do things that were routine...

Just Cause eviction puts the burden on the Landlord to "PROVE" the allegation.

Like I said... in the old days... I could always issue a 30 day notice and say it just isn't working out... this is no longer an option and 30 day notices when permitted are now required to be 60 day notices in most cases if allowed.

I have zero issue with anyone calling the police... if enough calls are received either the police will investigate and the owner should be able to get a copy... unless there are minors involved... or the police will label the caller as unstable and ignore future calls...

The latter happened to a senior citizen I know that lived in a 4-plex... the new tenants would smoke weed every Saturday morning on the back porch.... every Saturday she would call Oakland Police... it got to the point where they told her to ask for Officer Strong... which was code for a 5150 serial caller...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting