Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 12:19 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,515,621 times

Advertisements

I agree with the ^^^^ about telling the landlord verbally. Don't incite a spat between you and your neighbors. It will make living next to them very uncomfortable and awkward. Though, if they are often loud and obnoxious as most young adults are than you do have another right to complain to your landlord. Personally, I'd leave the cops out of it, unless you do see possible signs of them being dealers. I have a friend who did approach some rowdy neighbors and he ended up in the hospital after they beat the daylights out of him - so that can be a dangerous avenue to take - and it wasn't a bad neighborhood either.

The only problem I see for you in the future is that if they are the "low bred, unruly and inconsiderate" type of people than they will be bringing more and more of the same ilk to that duplex for parties, etc. However, typically most pot smokers, young and old, are laid back and easy going unless there are other elements to their personality that can cause them to be scary - as in they do other drugs than pot.

Yet while they are living there, just remember not to get behind them in a car if you are in a hurry - potheads drive worse than little old ladies. Oh, and also, keep all your snacks under lock and key. har har
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 12:23 PM

18,473 posts, read 31,643,914 times
We are actually having this problem as well. On our side of the building there are 4 floors with 4 apts to each floor. The chick on the first floor and her BF are chronic pot smokers, morning, noon, night....where our hallways reek. Several of us have called the LL, but he said there is nothing he can do, the police also said there is nothing they can do. The LL also has them in court for non payment of rent, so I am hoping they move soon.

I understand it is your place of living and if you want to smoke cigaretess or pot you should be entitled to it. But, when what you (meaning the tenant) do in your apartment starts to affect other tenants than it becomes a problem.

We have tenants above her that are getting the pot smell in their apartments, probably thru cracks around radiators and pipes and all that stuff, fortunetely I am on the other side, but other than the hallways reeking, which is embarassing, especially when getting company...So I just open each hallway window on all 3 floors and freeze the hallway..... it works.....

Now I hve the other girl on the first floor next to "pot girl" complain to my partner about the windows being open, and he was like: listen you either wanna smell the pot, or have the fresh air, but make up your damn mind...because we cannot do both!!

scared of him.....

Old 03-07-2013, 12:24 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
If the OP is willing to put in the effort...

My suggestion is to stop at the local police precinct and speak with the duty officer...

You may not like the answer... but, at least you will know where you stand.

I've found the depth of information much greater when the questions are asked in person as opposed to over the phone.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:45 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,778,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlitosBala View Post
Oh God.. you are one of those people, the worst kind; the type that cries wolf. You would waste police AND firemen time and resources over something as petty as a neighbor smoking pot? And then you advice to play it dumb?? No need to play it, as it seems to come naturally to you.

OP, this is what you do.

Go talk to your neighbors. Be calm and friendly. Tell them that their smoking pot inside the house is going over yours and that you can't stand it. You find the smell very offensive and ask them to please just take it outside. Do this a few times, THEN send a letter to the landlord.

But don't call police or firemen, nothing good could possibly come out of that. At best, you just wasted EMS resources, at worst you could get heavily fined (as you should over something so stupid) AND you'll make quick enemies with your neighbors, much less being hated by the entire block. Don't be that person.
Yes read 3 it was a joke and then go from there

Old 03-07-2013, 07:25 PM

5 posts, read 30,681 times
Wow, so many replies, I didn't expect that. Thanks everybody! I didn't mean to post and run, but got really busy.

Just sitting in my side of the duplex and not saying anything to anybody while I get nauseous from maryjane smoke is not option, so I have to scrap that advice.

I agree that it's not worth it to call the cops, especially as first resort.

I don't think I'll bother the landlord with this just yet, but next time I have a conversation with them or they come by, I may bring it up.

So next time I smell the weedheads, I think I will slip a note under their door, or perhaps have a convo with them, if they're not too stoned. Either way, I'll take it up with them first.

But yeah, doing nothing isn't an option.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:37 PM

5 posts, read 30,681 times
Calling the police non-emergency number is great advice, if just to get info. I will keep that in mind.

No medical marijuana here, lol, I'm in one of the other 48 states.

To those who inquired about the personalities of the couple, the girl is supposed to be a college student, I don't know what the guy does and although I've talked with her, he's never been introduced to me. They can be obnoxious and inconsiderate, but not crazy or violent. I really don't have many issues with them.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:55 AM

1,092 posts, read 3,437,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlitosBala View Post
Oh God.. you are one of those people, the worst kind; the type that cries wolf. You would waste police AND firemen time and resources over something as petty as a neighbor smoking pot? And then you advice to play it dumb?? No need to play it, as it seems to come naturally to you.

OP, this is what you do.

Go talk to your neighbors. Be calm and friendly. Tell them that their smoking pot inside the house is going over yours and that you can't stand it. You find the smell very offensive and ask them to please just take it outside. Do this a few times, THEN send a letter to the landlord.

But don't call police or firemen, nothing good could possibly come out of that. At best, you just wasted EMS resources, at worst you could get heavily fined (as you should over something so stupid) AND you'll make quick enemies with your neighbors, much less being hated by the entire block. Don't be that person.
In your opinion, it's a waste of resources to notify the police when someone is potentially committing a crime? The OP never mentioned dialing 911. You think the OP might be fined for alerting the police about potentially illegal drug activity??? There are states that still have strict drug laws, even for marijuana. In Nevada, it can mean prison time if a person is found in possession of marijuana, even in a small quantity.

But, you don't consider it a waste of police resources for a LL to request officer assistance in the removal of a tenant (that had established legal tenancy) without benefit of an actual court order? And that the LL proceeded as if a 3 day notice was sufficient for eviction, ignoring the legal process required for eviction? Because this wouldn't potentially expose the police department to civil liability???

Old 03-08-2013, 08:02 AM

912 posts, read 5,261,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlove71 View Post
In your opinion, it's a waste of resources to notify the police when someone is potentially committing a crime? The OP never mentioned dialing 911. You think the OP might be fined for alerting the police about potentially illegal drug activity??? There are states that still have strict drug laws, even for marijuana. In Nevada, it can mean prison time if a person is found in possession of marijuana, even in a small quantity.
Cooking meth, running a heroin den, hosting a crack-house and stuff like that, YES. Call the cops, bring in the S.W.A.T. and take care of the problem.

Two young people, smoking a joint in the privacy of their own home, who may very well be 100% unaware that the smell carries through to another unit?? JUST WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU AND PEOPLE LIKE YOU??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlove71 View Post
But, you don't consider it a waste of police resources for a LL to request officer assistance in the removal of a tenant (that had established legal tenancy) without benefit of an actual court order? And that the LL proceeded as if a 3 day notice was sufficient for eviction, ignoring the legal process required for eviction? Because this wouldn't potentially expose the police department to civil liability???
What in the heck are you talking about???

What are you smoking??? Maybe you should share it with OP and OP's neighbors. Sounds like good stuff.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:26 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,688,606 times
It could be worse, you could have a meth smoking neighbor like I did. . Stinch was nauseating and even made my clothes stink. Numerous complaints to the property manager eventually just got me the cold shoulder to the point the only recourse they offered was to call the police. When I spoke to the police, they said there was nothing they could do if all I had was "smell" to go on. Even though the hallway to our apmts smelled so bad, it'd make myself and visitors gag. Needless to say, as soon as my lease was up I was out of there.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:40 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times
" I get nauseous from maryjane smoke is not option, so I have to scrap that advice."

If it does, it's all in your head.
MJ is used and prescribed to elevate nausea.

If the op doesn't want any fall out from their complaint, they should just ask them if they can go out side, but then the op will just complain about it coming in the window.

What if the neighbors had a smokey bbQ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting