Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 11:28 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times

Advertisements

In your opinion, who should never be a landlord?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 01:35 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Someone you are related to if you are the renter.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:49 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,910 times
one who neglects his own home like mine does

Old 05-21-2013, 08:14 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default An example

Have to relocate back home, but tenant won't leave

Old 05-21-2013, 08:23 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
*Never be a landlord without the cash flow and/or skillset to manage maintenance and repairs!

*Never be a landlord without the ability to treat people respectfully, if you have lots of conflicts in other areas, you will have conflicts with tenants.

*Never be a landlord if you are gullible by nature. Every landlord is eventually contacted by people within his/her personal network that need a favor. It pulls at one's heartstrings but this is a business, not a charity.

*Never be a landlord if you have a tendancy to overreact or you are not able to reasonably understand other people's perspectives. You need to be able to discern between what is a safety/health or property impact issue vs. what displeases you.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:28 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
*Never be a landlord without the cash flow and/or skillset to manage maintenance and repairs!

*Never be a landlord without the ability to treat people respectfully, if you have lots of conflicts in other areas, you will have conflicts with tenants.

*Never be a landlord if you are gullible by nature. Every landlord is eventually contacted by people within his/her personal network that need a favor. It pulls at one's heartstrings but this is a business, not a charity.

*Never be a landlord if you have a tendancy to overreact or you are not able to reasonably understand other people's perspectives. You need to be able to discern between what is a safety/health or property impact issue vs. what displeases you.
Oh, all the responses are so true.

I am a resident apt mgr, and an acquaintance recently asked me if I had any available rentals, because she wanted to move. She has bedbugs and her landlord wants her to get rid of her mattress and boxspring, but she doesn't want to have to buy a new one. So, would I let her move into my building? Fortunately, I didn't have a vacancy anyway (that day lol!), so I didn't have to get into it with her.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:46 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,932,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
In your opinion, who should never be a landlord?
In my honest opinion, someone who had never rented before.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:49 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,744,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post

Wow, scary, you pretty much described my mom (who is a landlord)!

She has the skill set to manage maintenance and repairs but it's irrelevant when her primary rental property is three hours away and she is now 70 years old.

She is a control freak AND gullible/a softie both, bad combination. A few years ago she let my brother's "baby mama" move in to a property because my niece was still a minor and that's her grandchild and all... ended up with them not paying the already dirt-cheap rent plus running up utility bills and multiple other problems, all kinds of hard feelings.

She has said flat out that she'd never rent to ME (too "messy" for her tastes) and I have said flat out that I'd never rent from someone like her!

I think the biggest problem for some (like her) is renting a property that you are sentimental about. My mother rents out my childhood home, which I have not lived in for 28 years, because she always hoped to come back and live in it in old age OR pass on to me and my brother with the hopes that one of us would live in it with our families. Of course I have tons of fond memories of that house but I would never ever choose to live in that town again and neither would my brother. Long ago it became apparent that neither situation would be likely but she still holds on to it for all the wrong reasons. She has an impossible time being objective when it comes to renting it out. If she wanted to get into the rental business she should have, IMO, sold that house long ago and re-invested the money into actual rental properties that she had no emotional attachments to.

So yeah, I'd definitely add to the list "someone who cannot detach from any sentimentality about the property in question"...

Last edited by Sally_Sparrow; 05-21-2013 at 03:07 PM..

Old 05-21-2013, 02:59 PM

912 posts, read 1,525,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
So yeah, I'd definitely add to the list "someone who cannot detach from any sentimentality about the property in question"...
Oh, so true. This isn’t my personal story, but a good friend of mine rented a small house several years back. The owner was a first-time landlord, and it was the first house that he had ever owned. He got married and moved into his new wife’s house. He couldn’t sell his house for what he needed due to the economy, so he rented it to my friend. The rent was good for the location and all would’ve been well except he was so nosy about the house.

The new wife’s house was nearby(ish), and periodically he’d come into the neighborhood to say “hi” to his old neighbors, but would wind up knocking on the door to “see if anything was needed” at the house. He never came in without an invitation, but it was so strange. It said in my friend’s lease that she was allowed to paint as long as she painted it back upon move-out, so she painted her kitchen a vibrant blue. The next time the landlord was there for a repair, he kept staring at the blue and making small comments about it like he just couldn’t let it go. There were tons of other examples – the state of the yard is another (yardwork was her responsibility, and she kept it up well, but he evidently kept it constantly at the yard equivalent of a buzz cut and just couldn’t let it go).

In the end, my friend only stayed until her lease was up – it’s a shame, because it was a good house in a great location, but the landlord’s inability to detach from the property did not make for relaxing living.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:25 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,454,139 times
passive aggressive people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting