Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 03:49 PM

43 posts, read 58,546 times

Advertisements

Give me a break! to some of the posters here who are acting as if one needs a PH.D to become a LL.
I already have a career, and its not being a LL.I am simply renting out my condo, like so many people do all over the country, as a side/way to cover expenses. There are many people for whom this is not their main career. If I offended you, my apologies, but come off your high horses, the arrogance in the replies from some of you is nauseating, please.For those posters offering their advice on what they would/ would not do (Yes , I know its not legal advice, I m not asking for that!), I thank you for your time, I am grateful.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:56 PM

363 posts, read 514,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windycitytimes View Post
Give me a break! to some of the posters here who are acting as if one needs a PH.D to become a LL.
I already have a career, and its not being a LL.I am simply renting out my condo, like so many people do all over the country, as a side/way to cover expenses. There are many people for whom this is not their main career. If I offended you, my apologies, but come off your high horses, the arrogance in the replies from some of you is nauseating, please.For those posters offering their advice on what they would/ would not do (Yes , I know its not legal advice, I m not asking for that!), I thank you for your time, I am grateful.
This is precisely the reason people here are urging you to consult with an attorney.
It has nothing to do with being on a high horse.

edit:
This of it this way:

It's like someone who needs help with expenses, so they decide to sell pies out of their kitchen, without bothering to look up their local food selling/handling laws.

Perhaps they are in a state that completely bans sales of perishable items anywhere outside of industrial kitchens. Or they're in a state that requires a food handlers license to sell any food at all. Perhaps the state has packaging laws. Or laws about preservatives, etc...

Say one customer person complains about a hair they found in the pie, and then the health department shows up, and cites the baker for dozens of code violations, each with it's own several-hundred-dollar fine? Or what if the home baker sells one pie and someone claims food poisoning and sues the poor baker? What if, after some complaints, the city shows up and deems the whole endeavor illegal, slapping the poor baker with loads of fines? It could get very ugly for the baker & no legal/state entity will accept the bakers ignorance of local laws as a defense.

Its not always a simple or easy as it may outwardly appear. Forgive me if I sound arrogant, but you're dealing with selling people living space, which happens to be a business thick with laws in most places.

Last edited by 5pyg1a55; 07-13-2013 at 04:15 PM..

Old 07-13-2013, 04:14 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pyg1a55 View Post
This is precisely the reason people here are urging you to consult with an attorney.
It has nothing to do with being on a high horse.
Oh for goodness sakes! It's not rocket science.

Pay an attorney a ridiculous amount of money to look up the law...

or look up the law yourself.

Or come here and ask other folk what the law is, so they don't have to pay an attorney.

The idea is to avoid the attorney's fees.

Why do you yell at people who come here for help, and belittle them. That's very small of you.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:28 PM

363 posts, read 514,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Why do you yell at people who come here for help, and belittle them. That's very small of you.
I'm not yelling at or belittling anyone.

Have you ever been sued by a tenant?
Or had code enforcement called on you by a tenant?
Or tried to evict a tenant?

These questions aren't meant to be facetious & I'm sorry in advanced if it sounds that way.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:36 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Where on earth did that come from?

Old 07-13-2013, 05:12 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Where on earth did that come from?
By "you" I mean any of the previous posters who insulted the OPs intelligence.

Jeez. A baker example? WTF?

She had a simple question about a tenant who wanted to break a lease. Aye aye aye.

Where did all this doomsday, end of the world, the code violation police are coming, come from?

OP, be sure you don't bake a pie with a hair in it and give it to your tenant. I'm sure you'll be put away for life.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:52 PM

43 posts, read 58,546 times
"OP, be sure you don't bake a pie with a hair in it and give it to your tenant. I'm sure you'll be put away for life."

@NOMORESNOWFORME, thanks for the humor, LOL, My nursing license would be taken away if I did that!Just kidding.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:39 PM

6,818 posts, read 11,548,200 times
In a perfect world, you could probably be a landlord without ever getting legal advice because your tenants would always pay their rent on time, leave cheerfully at the end of the lease, and leave the place in immaculate condition. But unfortunately we live in the real world where this rarely happens.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:41 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Please try to stay on point...

Many suggestions for the OP to sort through.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:42 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
First, why in the world would you require anyone to sign a 2 year lease? Do you expect no one's life but yours will change in 2 years time?

You have been given plenty of notice so what exactly is the issue with making it a 1 year lease?
You may want to double check on the credit bureau threat as well and ANY DOCUMENT can be "modified" AFTER it is signed.

Let the girl out of her the lease unless you want her husband living with her above you OR you want a really bad renter for the next almost 2 years.

What makes you think she had any idea that they would be looking to buy a home soon? Maybe he just proposed marriage to her or just asked her if she would like to start looking for homes to purchase in a year, which gives them a year to find the perfect home. You have no idea when the home buying topic came up between them and it is a great assumption on your part to think she knew about this before the lease was signed. It also does not really matter what you believe, what matters is that you are setting yourself up for the renter from hades and doing it voluntarily.

Last edited by Marka; 07-16-2013 at 12:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting