Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 03:38 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,211,264 times

Advertisements

Colorado single family home

There was a water leak from the swamp cooler one month ago. The insurance company has been slow in processing the claim due to the unrelated disaster that occurred nearby. Looking at one month since the initial report of the leak. (The cooler was turned off immediately)

Tenants claim there is mold that is causing their daughter to become sick. They want out of the lease early or they will sue everybody they can.

I am sending a mold inspector to the house to evaluate the home / their claim.

The tenants have been unhappy with the home / and or the leasing company.

As a landlord I have never dealt with this before and really could use some advice.

I would love to have them out. However, I lose money on the house every month and I am guessing Dec / Jan isn't the best time to have a house on the market.

Looking to lose over 3k if they leave three months early.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 07:12 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
There was a water leak from the swamp cooler... Tenants claim...
They're leaving either way. You'll have to advertise and look for new tenants either way
Do you think it will be easier to find new tenants in mid winter than now?

Old 10-17-2013, 09:06 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,494,081 times
I would let them out with a 30 day notice. Then start advertising for a new renter immediately.

You should be able to repair the leak/related damage before the check arrives from the insurance company. You would pay with your own funds, then use the insurance check to reiumburse yourself. Just keep receipts for all the work done.

Sounds like you need to perform the work asap in order to rerent anyway. I'd still let the other tenant out now.

As above poster said above, seems better chance to find new renters now before the weather changes drastically in 3 months.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:40 AM

1,715 posts, read 4,779,206 times
Quote:
Colorado single family home

There was a water leak from the swamp cooler one month ago. The insurance company has been slow in processing the claim due to the unrelated disaster that occurred nearby. Looking at one month since the initial report of the leak. (The cooler was turned off immediately)

Tenants claim there is mold that is causing their daughter to become sick. They want out of the lease early or they will sue everybody they can.

I am sending a mold inspector to the house to evaluate the home / their claim.

As a landlord I have never dealt with this before and really could use some advice.

I would love to have them out. However, I lose money on the house every month and I am guessing Dec / Jan isn't the best time to have a house on the market.

Looking to lose over 3k if they leave three months early.
You do not have the know how or the funds to be a landlord you should dump it and move on with your life before it takes you all the way down.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
You do not have the know how or the funds to be a landlord you should dump it and move on with your life before it takes you all the way down.
Please don't be offended if I don't leave positive feed back for your awesome post!

Keep at it though!

Old 10-17-2013, 09:52 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Please don't be offended if I don't leave positive feed back for your awesome post!
Don't be offended by the comment.

It is valid advice for the largest majority of one property landlords and predominantly true for the
"accidental" landlords stuck with properties they can't or can't afford to sell over the last few years.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:56 AM

No worries...your second post is much better

Honestly, I could afford to sell the home. However, I don't want to sell the home. I feel that it will work out in the long run and I want to learn about having rental properties. I have to start some where.

The property has a management company so they are handling most things.

I hired them because I do not know what I am doing but am learning slowly.

So what I lack in specialized knowledge I am trying to make up for by asking people with experience and knowledge of such situations....that is why I am posting this on the forum.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:

Keep at it though!
Sorry you did not like my great advice but look at it from what I know. You should have had it fix right away your insurance being slow has nothing to do with it. You might get sued because you were not responsible in getting it fixed and cleaned up right away. You are now paying for a mold inspector costing you more money. The house losses money every month and you think selling it is bad advice. My apologies, you sound like you know what your doing and the money you make of it (not) sounds like a great investment.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
No worries...your second post is much better

Honestly, I could afford to sell the home. However, I don't want to sell the home. I feel that it will work out in the long run and I want to learn about having rental properties. I have to start some where.

The property has a management company so they are handling most things.

I hired them because I do not know what I am doing but am learning slowly.

So what I lack in specialized knowledge I am trying to make up for by asking people with experience and knowledge of such situations....that is why I am posting this on the forum.
Still my best advice sell the best lesson you have learned is when to get out. Find an investment that you are cash flowing. Find a new management company they should of told you to fix the the cooler right away.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
Sorry you did not like my great advice but look at it from what I know. You should have had it fix right away your insurance being slow has nothing to do with it. You might get sued because you were not responsible in getting it fixed and cleaned up right away. You are now paying for a mold inspector costing you more money. The house losses money every month and you think selling it is bad advice. My apologies, you sound like you know what your doing and the money you make of it (not) sounds like a great investment.
Thank you for that advice! This is my first insurance claim ever and I had NO idea they would take this long.

I am going to get the damage fixed ASAP and hope the insurance company covers some of it. That is what I should have done in the first place so thank you .

If that doesn't make them happy I will let them out of the lease. Until I read your comment I didn't realize I may have dropped the ball :/

I lose about $100 per month on the home. I live out of state and plan on returning. Once I am local I can do a lot of the small stuff my self and get rid of the leasing company. It should at least average around $200 a month profit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting