Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 01:11 PM

23 posts, read 31,714 times

Advertisements

I'm leasing a duplex. So far, 32 showings and 2 applications. Now back to square 1. We don't want renter with pet. Per my agent, I would have more luck with accepting pet. I always resist that option thinking pet would ruin my property which is newly total remodeled. Pros and cons of pet? Any comment would help. Thnx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 01:15 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,744,337 times
I'm not a landlord but my stepmom has a few rental properties. Over the years, she's seen a mixed bag as far as pets and damage. Some animals have trashed the place (peed everywhere, eaten interior doors/blinds, torn up the carpet) and others have been so impeccable you never would have known they were there.

You might consider accepting someone with a pet, if the pet had 'references' from previous landlords to document the dog/cat didn't cause any damage.

Pet Resume

Old 07-15-2013, 01:23 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
It's got so much more to do with the owner than the pet itself much of the time. A healthy, happy, well exercised companion animal is invariably much more well behaved than one which is left alone most of the time, doesn't get any socialization and is basically bored to tears. I agree with checking out pet "references" and also meet the pet yourself and see what kind of an animal it is.

You can certainly ask for a non refundable pet deposit to cover any damages and I think you'll find that if you do a search on this forum you'll find a bunch of threads which will give you guidance and different points of view.

Would dropping the price of your unit better attract non-pet owners? I understand how you feel when you've remodeled the place. Are there other pets in the complex/building?

Good luck and I hope you soon find a good tenant either with or without a pet.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:34 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotshopper View Post
I'm leasing a duplex. So far, 32 showings and 2 applications.
That sounds like weak or inaccurate advertising detail...
and likely poor phone technique to pre-qualify.

Quote:
We don't want renter with pet.
OK; put that in the ad: "No Pets... No Exceptions"
It really isn't that hard.

Quote:
Pros and cons of pet?
Unless the unit is already a bit beat up and likely to need a reno job at the next turnover...
there isn't much advantage to allowing pets.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:28 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
I rent w/ 2 dogs. They're small, but I understand why people are nervous about renting to people with pets.

I provide all prospective landlords with a "pet resume" (like what is linked above) for both of my dogs. It includes a statement from my vet, their most recent vaccination records, invoice from vet showing I've bought and treated both dogs for heartworm and flea preventative. Certificate from Obedience school for both, and a reference from the previous landlord.

It usually assures the LL that I am a responsible pet owner.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:06 PM

363 posts, read 514,542 times
Can you give a little more detail about the type of rental you have? Is it a high-end place in a desirable area? Mid grade, etc? Low-end?

Allowing pit bulls in a low-income rental is totally different then letting a high-income professional have an indoor cat or polished show-dog, for instance.

Around here, LLs who rent to upper-income folks tend to allow indoor cats, and if dogs, either those under 25lb or proof of having been to dog finishing school. Most charge either additional pet deposit OR pet rent, like an extra $25/month for a cat and maybe up to $100/month for a dog.
Every reputable place has a neutering requirement (it's actually a city law all pets who are not show pets must be sterilized, but responsible pet owners will already have sterilized pets, if not show quality). Just an FYI, neutered cats don't "spray" like tomcats.

I paid $1000 additional deposit for my indoor cat. Well behaved, old, pretty much sleeps all day.
Young, playful cats can get into things like crawling through and bending mini blinds, but you'd just deduct that kind of damage from the deposit when the tenant moves out (or give them opportunity to replace the blinds).

Dogs are a different story & run the gamut. My aunt has a few lower-income rental properties. She once had some crazy person in one unit who got a pitbull w/o permission. The dog eventually had puppies. The woman eventually stopped paying rent and my aunt had to evict this person in a state with heavy tenant protection. The tenant went 6 months rent free, and when she was finally out, she had smeared dog poop in all the cracks in the floors and walls to spite my aunt (old kingswood floors about 250 yrs old). She and my mother spent a week digging poop out of the cracks- pretty nasty.

The dog thing is a pretty extreme story & illustrates some troubles in "undesirable" areas. It's common here for mid-high tier, dog-letting rentals to ban "bully breeds".

If you ban pets altogether (especially well behaved pets or in a mid-high tier rental), you will have far less qualified applicants. When you get into $1800, $2000, $3000 rents, you're getting into a crowd that expects to be treated like customers & want their homes to be comfortable.

Also, in major metros with high percents of renters, banning pets (particularly cats) increases the stray animal population and helps to overwhelm the local animal shelters, when people are faced with having to surrender their pets to get into an apartment. This inadvertently shifts a huge burden onto already constrained city budgets.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:08 PM

Most of feedbacks so far are ok with price and the house itself. It is just that there is a busy condominium across street. I guess lower price would not help better than allowing pet.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Most of feedbacks so far are ok with price and the house itself.
Is this based on your OWN one on one conversation with prospects or retelling by the agent?
How confident are you that those viewing are even qualified?

Quote:
I guess lower price would not help better than allowing pet.
A lower price will fix just about any RE shortcoming.
Just don't be too quick to accept it's needed without an objective basis.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:59 PM

Feedbacks from showing agent and my agent. Mine in 75254 and$ 1350. It's on market since5/4/13. Is it unusual long time or still ok? My agent said that a lot people with pets called. That's why I guess allowing pet might is might be better option.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
It's on market since5/4/13. Is it unusual long time or still ok?
In 2013... I'd say that is rather long.

Demand for well priced clean rentals in most areas is high.
Do you have an objective basis to say if $1350 reflects market?

Here's a craigs feed: Add a few more filters to see what your competition is...
and where you stand relative to that LINK

Quote:
My agent said...
I have very little positive to say about "agents" and rentals.
Even less positive to say about "property managers"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting