Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2013, 08:25 PM

42 posts, read 68,359 times

Advertisements

Hello, so I moved in to my apartment on July 1. Since this is my first renting, I do some research before I moved in. On the day I moved, the manager simply just handed me the inspection form and the key and let me do move-in inspection by myself. When I did the inspection, I found out there are some minor damage in the apartment such as scratches on countertop and wood floor, the wood near the door lock is broken,etc. So I wrote down all the damages on the form and turned it in to the manager and also spoke to her regarding those damage. Until today, I just realized that I better take some photo for the proof that the damage is not caused by me. I'm wondering is it too late to take photo since I already moved in almost a month? Also my question is does the law require the landlord to do move-in walkthrough? Thank you guys!! By the way, I'm in Denver if this could help a bit.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 08:44 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,207,078 times
Take the pics. Make sure there are dates showing, and save them in a file for whenever you move. I hope that you kept a copy of that damage form?? If not, I'd contact the LL and ask for a copy, and also include that in your file. Keep these things for your eventual move. They will be evidence if the LL tries to blame you for the damages you've taken pics of and also reported already.
Sorry I don't know the laws. At the top of the Renting forum, there is a "sticky" thread and there are links to websites where you can look up the laws for your area.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:59 PM

42 posts, read 68,359 times
I did keep a copy of the form. My concern is will that be too late to take photos for the proof? In other words, I moved in almost a month and if I just take the photo now, can they be used as evidence?

Old 07-24-2013, 11:33 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,487,749 times
Sure, take the photos.

Hopefully, it won't be an issue, ever. But, if it ever is, you'll have the photos. Nobody will know when they were taken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting