Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 10:16 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,720,528 times

Advertisements

Are there rules for disclosing who lives in a rental complex?

At my current apartment complex, I asked the manager before moving in if there are a lot of college students who live here. She responded by saying that she cannot disclose any information because of discrimination laws. The last time I checked, student status is not a protected class.

However, many of the other places in town did not hesitate to tell me that "most of our residents are college students."

Was she just BSing, or are landlords not supposed to release any information about tenants?

For my next place, I'd really like to know if it's filled with loud, rude college students or not. Driving through during the day and night often doesn't give you a real feel for the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 10:38 PM

13,133 posts, read 21,021,767 times
Disclosure and protected class are two separate issues but to avoid any improprieties, many landlords extend their disclosure to include a prohibition on discussing any protected group. As for groups protected under fair housing laws, a lot depends on where the place is located. Besides federal fair housing laws, you also may have additional state and even local municipal fair housing laws. Example, besides the federal laws, a state like Minnesota also makes it illegal to discriminate against a person based on payment method. Further a city like St Paul makes it a violation to use age if over 18. So where the place is located makes what is protected and the polices of the property may make it an internal violation to disclose this information.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:24 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,403,737 times
Truth is, some things are your responsibility to discern. Whether you like the neighbors or not, is one of them.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:40 AM

2,928 posts, read 3,555,408 times
I get asked the question of, "is this a nice/quiet neighborhood" all the time. I tell my prospective tenants that they should drive around and make their own judgments. I don't want people accusing me of misleading them so I always tell people to do their own research.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:03 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,040,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post

At my current apartment complex, I asked the manager before moving in if there are a lot of college students who live here. She responded by saying that she cannot disclose any information because of discrimination laws. The last time I checked, student status is not a protected class.

However, many of the other places in town did not hesitate to tell me that "most of our residents are college students."

Was she just BSing, or are landlords not supposed to release any information about tenants?

For my next place, I'd really like to know if it's filled with loud, rude college students or not. Driving through during the day and night often doesn't give you a real feel for the place.

If you really want to know about a complex, talk to the current residents. Walk around the complex in the evening and chat with people walking their dogs or sitting outside. They will tell you exactly what it's like. You should also go there late at night and drive/stroll thru the parking lot and keep your ears/eyes open.

It's up to you to make a sound decision regarding a unit, it's not up to the landlord to assure/promise you anything.

It may not be against the law, but its probably against their company policy. Would you like your landlord to divulge info about you to someone who is moving in next door?

Old 04-16-2016, 05:33 AM

1 posts, read 791 times
Default fair housing rules

She is most certainly NOT b- s ing .as you put it. Why do you care if there are a lot of college students - why did you ask? She is following his the law!

Old 04-16-2016, 02:12 PM

32,668 posts, read 48,104,757 times
HUD considers discussions about the composition of the neighborhood which includes race, ages, and religion, discussions about locations of churches, location of clubs, locations of certain types of stores and clubs to be steering. Steering is illegal and the fines are hefty.

It is up to the tenant to go back in the evening and look at traffic, parking, and noise. If you don't want to live with college students, sit around and watch who walks in and out of the building. If you see a lot of young adults or hear a lot of noise, then the place is not for you.

Does HUD go way overboard with some mighty senseless discrimination laws? You betcha, but it is still the law and there are still expensive fines for violating those laws, so you are on your own when you want to live in a specific type of rental.

Old 04-16-2016, 03:42 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,480,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post

A lot of people - especially landlords and property managers - interpret fair housing rules (esp under current interpretation by HUD) to mean "say nothing" as it can only get them in trouble. This is especially true when it comes to "families" or "household composition" in rentals.

e.g. your apartment buildings might be overrun with kids or gangbangers but landlords and managers can't confirm or deny that.

Old 04-16-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
HUD considers discussions about the composition of the neighborhood which includes race, ages, and religion, discussions about locations of churches, location of clubs, locations of certain types of stores and clubs to be steering. Steering is illegal and the fines are hefty.

It is up to the tenant to go back in the evening and look at traffic, parking, and noise. If you don't want to live with college students, sit around and watch who walks in and out of the building. If you see a lot of young adults or hear a lot of noise, then the place is not for you.

Does HUD go way overboard with some mighty senseless discrimination laws? You betcha, but it is still the law and there are still expensive fines for violating those laws, so you are on your own when you want to live in a specific type of rental.

??? ??? You mean that if I quote census stats then landlords and managers can't say anything?

Whatever happened to the economist's ideal of perfect information? What business does HUD have to get in the way of free speech?

I'm really surprised conservatives haven't yet set up HUD for a lawsuit.

Old 04-16-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairhousing View Post
She is most certainly NOT b- s ing .as you put it. Why do you care if there are a lot of college students - why did you ask? She is following his the law!

I have a lot of experience living in student rental neighborhoods. Lots of parties, late night noise, visitors taking up on-street parking, housing overcrowding. Consumers have a right to know and government wants consumers to not know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting