Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 01:20 PM

5 posts, read 35,217 times

Advertisements

i live with 2 roommates in a 3 bedroom house, we just renewed the lease in june. unfortunately i wish i left before we renewed. they're getting more careless and its a headache living with them. but i had no where to go before the lease renewal.

we got into another verbal disagreement last weekend and that was the last draw for me. i want to leave. i found somewhere to go.

i told them i want to leave and i would like to get removed from the lease. i know the LL would be the one to give permission for my name to be removed from the lease but before i go to her i wanna tell her that they both agreed to take over and will continue to pay her rent for the remaining of the lease term without me.

she is a retired lady who likes me but i am not sure if she will give me a hard time. i will simply tell her that i can not afford it due to school starting end of september and i would have to cut my hours at work in order to focus on school.

i did some reading and i didnt get lots of info so i signed up here to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 01:45 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Are you saying your roommates agreed to pay your portion of the rent? If that is not what you are saying you have about zero chance of getting out of this. Welcome to the real world.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:17 PM

no they didnt disagree nor agree. theyre the party type and im the responsible type and im sure they would love it for me to be gone cuz then i wouldnt be on their case about their carelessness and irresponsible acts. i have no doubt that they will agree to taking over the rest of the rental agreement without me

Old 08-20-2013, 02:21 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
If you are all on the lease and all signed it, you're jointly and severally responsible for adhering to all its terms for the duration. Your landlady will let you out of the lease as long as the other two tenants agree to it in writing so you need to get this sorted out. If your name remains on the lease and there is a problem of any kind which ends up in court, your LL can sue all of you or only one of you, depending on who she can find most easily.

That's it in a nutshell. You'll find NJ landlord tenant laws linked in the first "sticky" on this forum if you want to take a look at them.

If your roommates can't afford to pay for the apartment on their own maybe you can help them find another roommate who will be acceptable to both them and to the landlady. Good luck.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
If you are all on the lease and all signed it, you're jointly and severally responsible for adhering to all its terms for the duration. Your landlady will let you out of the lease as long as the other two tenants agree to it in writing so you need to get this sorted out. If your name remains on the lease and there is a problem of any kind which ends up in court, your LL can sue all of you or only one of you, depending on who she can find most easily.

That's it in a nutshell. You'll find NJ landlord tenant laws linked in the first "sticky" on this forum if you want to take a look at them.

If your roommates can't afford to pay for the apartment on their own maybe you can help them find another roommate who will be acceptable to both them and to the landlady. Good luck.
i know they can definitely afford it without me. i have no doubt about that. and like i said i know they will agree to it. i dont know what kinda written agreement i need them to sign.

dont i also need the landlord to draw another lease with my name removed off of it ??

Old 08-20-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1983 View Post
i know they can definitely afford it without me. i have no doubt about that. and like i said i know they will agree to it. i dont know what kinda written agreement i need them to sign.

dont i also need the landlord to draw another lease with my name removed off of it ??
You all go to the landlady, they sign a simple piece of paper saying that they agree to your name being removed from the lease on such and such a date. They sign it and the landlady signs it agreeing to it. Everybody gets a copy (including you). The landlady then has the choice of crossing your name off the lease (everybody initials all the changes) or writing up a simple Lease Change document (you can find examples you can print out to use on the internet).

Old 08-20-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
You all go to the landlady, they sign a simple piece of paper saying that they agree to your name being removed from the lease on such and such a date. They sign it and the landlady signs it agreeing to it. Everybody gets a copy (including you). The landlady then has the choice of crossing your name off the lease (everybody initials all the changes) or writing up a simple Lease Change document (you can find examples you can print out to use on the internet).
this is all the info i needed it. i will draw up a document for them to sign and i will let the LL know about it and send it to her to sign.

does she have to cross my name off the lease or will the document be enough to show my name is off the lease ??

Old 08-20-2013, 03:32 PM

As I mentioned, either your name gets crossed off the lease and everyone initials the changes or the landlady can prepare a simple Lease Change document.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:43 PM

is something like this good enough ??

[url]http://www.rentupm.com/forms/Add-or-Remove-Residents-to-Lease-Agreement.pdf[/url]

Old 08-20-2013, 04:18 PM

That's fine - there are tons out there and they're all basically the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting