Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 07:04 PM

66 posts, read 149,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
That's what I would be afraid of - it could go on for months judging from what's happened thus far when they can't seem to even find a qualified electrician for weeks on end. Just going on past (non) performance, I'd be leery about even trusting them to hire someone who knows what they're doing.

vampywolfgirl: I laughed out loud to read that she said that all they expected of you was that you, "keep the place up to local codes". Priceless irony and I've no idea how you could have kept a straight face. If I were in your shoes I'd start looking for another place and make sure you leave the place spotless and take LOTS of dated photographs so you get your security deposit back. Good luck!
Major lesson learned, do not ever rent from 1st time landlords. lol

She said to us, "If it were me, I'd just deal with it." And I said, "Well when you pay rent, you want things fixed."
To which was replied to me. "I've talked to other landlords, and I'm not knocking money off the rent. Since you pay the electric bill, you are saving money on that."
Really?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 11:30 AM

Ok, Update and Question.

Now the husband is the one we are dealing with, after the incident on Tues night where she literally was yelling at us in the living room like we were her kids and just got caught doing something bad we have not heard from her, only him.

They sent a different electrician out today who said it was safe to use the furnace. We were not home at the time of this visit. So I dont have any details on what went on while they were in the house. We were told he will be back next Saturday to start work.

Now my question is, they gave us verbal permission to break the lease. It's obvious she wants us out, and we want out. If they get this fixed, do you think that they could take back that offer? Because obviously we have been doing nothing but looking for a new place since given this option, and we found one today and we need to see if we can get it.

I feel like it was almost harassing the way she was screaming at me, wouldn't let me get a word in. Treating us like we are 5 years old. When I offered to call an electrician I knew to see if he did the kind of work that was needed she cut me off and said, "No. No. Absolutely not. Give me the contact info and I will call."
And I was like, "I planned on it, but it would be a waste of your time if he didn't do that kind of work."
After being interrupted several times.
I wish I would have recorded that conversation. :/

Old 09-28-2013, 11:45 AM

639 posts, read 1,964,218 times
I would send a certified letter return receipt that you are taking them up on their offer to break the lease and give a move out date. Don't argue or discuss it with them. Send the letter, find a new place, clean the old place, take pictures, move out, and if they've changed their mind about letting you out, too bad. But the situation is getting ridiculous. No heat going into winter, limited or no electricity (be grateful your electricity bill is low! really?) and getting yelled at for not dusting the blinds is nuts.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:48 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampywolfgirl View Post
Now my question is, they gave us verbal permission to break the lease. It's obvious she wants us out, and we want out. If they get this fixed, do you think that they could take back that offer? Because obviously we have been doing nothing but looking for a new place since given this option, and we found one today and we need to see if we can get it./
Follow up the telephone conversation with an email to her along the lines of, "Further to our telephone conversation on (date) during which in light of all the maintenance problems you agreed to let us out of our lease with 60 days notice, please be advised that we are giving you our notice forthwith. We will vacate the premises no later than November 30, 2013. Please confirm receipt, acknowledgement and acceptance of this notice. Thank you."

Even if this place you're currently interested in doesn't pan out, 60 days should be more than enough time to find a place. Good luck!

Old 09-28-2013, 02:18 PM

Thank you both! Nicely worded, STTResident.

She told us she would have no problem re-renting. She had nursing students to rent to.
And she thinks I am "disgusting"? I hardly think they will be dusting the blinds or cleaning the basement! LOL
Oh well, off to better things for us Looking forward to getting this stress out of my life.
Thank you to everyone who responded.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:22 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Absolutely take their offer and move! Also agree to put the conversation in writing about their offer and you're taking them up on it.

Then, if they try to come after you for breaking the lease, just tell them you'll countersue for abatement of rent, etc., etc.

What a nightmare!

Old 12-23-2013, 11:52 AM

Just wanted to post a quick update for you all,

We moved, of course! LOL. We actually ended up purchasing a house, we went from signed contract to closing in 37 days, thanks to the amazing group of people who were working with us. (We had already had our pre-approval and stuff done from when we were looking back in July so we were a few steps into it.)

We've been in our own home now for 1 month, and it is awesome! It's a lot of work, but we knew that going into it. But it is an awesome feeling, that this is OURS!

So anyway, we closed on Nov 15th and my hubs didn't want to give them our decision until then. They did not make any attempt to fix any of the issues with the house in that time period, nor did they even talk to us about anything. In fact they quit talking to us, and if they did have to it was only in the form of a group text to both me and my husband. (They were on our case about removing all the screens from the windows, which wasn't in the lease and they never mentioned it the year before. Which we did do as requested, then bitching at us that we put them all in the basement and not left in the rooms they were in.. which I didn't because I didn't want them to accidentally get damaged while we were moving boxes)
So on Nov 15th with our rent check we gave them our decision to take them up on their offer to void the lease and we would be out within 30 days.
They came back at us of course, telling us that we could have until Dec 31st so we would have to pay rent in December. We were ok with this and agreed. They also told us we would be responsible for all utilities until Dec 31st, again we said ok because we did wait a while to give them our decision on moving and we want to be done with this in the best way to avoid further issues with them.
We started moving Nov 16th and had the house cleaned and finished by our original 30 days of Dec 15.

So what really is 2 more weeks of utilities right? I called today to make arrangements for shut offs, and its like a huge weight has been lifted. LOL

Old 12-24-2013, 02:10 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Thanks for the update!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting