Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2013, 11:26 PM

2 posts, read 5,402 times

Advertisements

Hi

I stay in a community in Irving, TX. My current lease is ending on 14th Nov 2013. We were approached by the leasing office and they told that they have a good offer to renew rent for another 8 months. This happened even 2 months before the end of current lease. I resisted to sign on it since I am not sure about my job, my company may ask for to relocate to another place for job.

But I have finally agreed to extend the lease which starts effective from 15th November. But at the time of lease renewal the leasing officer agreed for a lease breakage by paying 3 months rent. She had printed a letter and signed on it agreeing this.

But before 14th september, it is confirmed that I need to move out of Dallas due to Job. Immediately(on 13th September) I have informed her. She had asked me to provide letter from company on this and then she would consider this. I have provided the letter that she had asked for, but she is not giving me any opportunity to discuss and close the matter. Every time I meet her she tells some reason or other and avoid me. I had been sending emails that she had not responded yet. I am looking for advises on how to proceed and close this matter. I would like to know.

1* Though I have renewed the lease but informed the lease office about job transfer, is there anyway I can get out of the lease which is not started- effective 15th Nov
2* is there anyway I can utilize the letter and move out of the lease.. I am ready to pay till 14th Nov

let me know

regards
anilkris
28th Sept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 11:44 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Does the lease say the contract is effective starting November 15th, or does it say the lease is effective upon signing with a rental move-in start date of November 15th?

Old 09-28-2013, 03:01 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,828,718 times
I would just go into the office and tell them what happened and get the feedback of what you can do.
I thought that once you sign a lease even if it is not in effect that means you are responsible. I have had to sign a lease though I had not moved in but a month or so before so that they knew I was for sure going to take it and not changing my mind where I would lose my deposit.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:27 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,281,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkris View Post
But I have finally agreed to extend the lease which starts effective from 15th November. But at the time of lease renewal the leasing officer agreed for a lease breakage by paying 3 months rent. She had printed a letter and signed on it agreeing this.

But before 14th september, it is confirmed that I need to move out of Dallas due to Job. Immediately(on 13th September) I have informed her. She had asked me to provide letter from company on this and then she would consider this....
Sounds like you extended your lease for an additional 8 months (Nov 15 - June 14, 2014), with a lease-break fee of 3 months rent?

You can continue to ask your landloard to "consider" letting you out with a smaller lease-break fee, but I'm not sure you can force her to. Your best move right now is to be politely persistent in contacting her, including sending nice letters reminding her of your conversation. Try to get her to take pity on you.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:56 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Does your lease have a section on termination? Sometimes they have a section that allows you to break the lease if you get a job a certain amount of miles away.

Early move-out/breaking a lease

Since they asked for a copy of the letter regarding your transfer, go ahead and give it to them with a letter saying you will have to move due to the transfer. She may want it because of a clause in your contract that allows breaking the lease due to job transfer. Either way, sounds like they'll consider cutting you a break. Good luck!

Old 09-29-2013, 09:10 PM

292 posts, read 1,066,808 times
I would go into to the office and speak to the property manager. Ask to have the renewing lease pulled since it has not begun. If they can not and they want you to pay the lease breakage fee, ask if they have a sister property in Dallas that you can transfer to. Also if you are able to get them to pull the renewal, you will still be required to give the full 60 day notice to vacate, which at this point will put you past your original Nov 14th lease end date. Be prepared to have to pay for the full 6o days.

Not sure which management company you currently reside with, I know with my previous employer and the new one I work at now, we have pulled the renewals when it involves a job transfer.

When I switched communities that I work at, I wanted to move from the current place I lived in Katy to be closer to my new work in Rosenberg. I had renewed for another 12 months but the lease had not rolled into affect yet so I got them to pull it so I could move to another property closer to my new work. They didn't want to do it, took a little pitching a fit, but they eventually did do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting