Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 12:07 PM

10,164 posts, read 7,823,475 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone. I'll just get with the landlord.

I was just interested in hearing other's experiences. Thanks to those that did share. I appreciate it.

Last edited by diddlydudette; 10-02-2013 at 12:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 02:01 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,793,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Find your lease, read your lease, don't pack your lease until you've done your final move out inspection and turned in the keys. I suggest you keep it in handy spot like a lock box or safe or some other place you keep very important papers that you might need to get your hands on in a timely manner.
Unless I'm mistaken he hasn't even moved into the new place yet.

Deposit - Do tenants ever get this back when they move out?

What type things are landlords responsible for as far as home maintenance?

Old 10-02-2013, 02:06 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,528,318 times
I would guess an average of 1-2 months rent for standar lease break fee. IF all parties agree to a lease break fee either in lease or negotiated between tenant and landlord later(when it's not specified in the lease). Often landlord is very nice and allows zero lease break fee.

If no lease break fee agreed upon by all...then tenant pays full rent on the monthly due date until a new tenant moves in or until lease expiration date. But landlord needs to actively look for a new renter in most states, depending on state law and what' in the lease.

It's really important that you refer to your lease. Lots of leases have this in them already. It's an entirely different ballgame if lease break fee is NOT in the lease. You have to try to negotiate with landlord for it in this case. Not always easy.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I would guess an average of 1-2 months rent for standar lease break fee. IF all parties agree to a lease break fee either in lease or negotiated between tenant and landlord later(when it's not specified in the lease). Often landlord is very nice and allows zero lease break fee.

If no lease break fee agreed upon by all...then tenant pays full rent on the monthly due date until a new tenant moves in or until lease expiration date. But landlord needs to actively look for a new renter in most states, depending on state law and what' in the lease.

It's really important that you refer to your lease. Lots of leases have this in them already. It's an entirely different ballgame if lease break fee is NOT in the lease. You have to try to negotiate with landlord for it in this case. Not always easy.
Thank you. You've been very helpful.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:21 PM

Didn't find my lease out in all the boxes but I did find the box with my blender and rum. lol Thank goodness I had some margarita mix in the freezer. Since I didn't do anything today because my situation is at a standstill and I don't know what will happen, I decided I needed a good strong drink. Cheers everyone.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:07 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,764,237 times
Cheers

Old 10-02-2013, 04:44 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,285,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
Didn't find my lease out in all the boxes but I did find the box with my blender and rum. lol Thank goodness I had some margarita mix in the freezer. Since I didn't do anything today because my situation is at a standstill and I don't know what will happen, I decided I needed a good strong drink. Cheers everyone.
Great news! Wish I could magically find a box with rum and a blender, I could use it this week.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:12 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,072,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I know. I was talking about his current lease that he packed away before moving.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:49 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,793,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I know. I was talking about his current lease that he packed away before moving.
I think he owns where he is currently living and is in the process of selling the property. The lease he's talking about I think would therefore be for the new place which he hasn't yet moved into.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:02 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,072,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I think he owns where he is currently living and is in the process of selling the property. The lease he's talking about I think would therefore be for the new place which he hasn't yet moved into.

ahh....I read it wrong..thanks for clarifying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting