Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 10:07 AM

10,150 posts, read 7,813,986 times

Advertisements

I had a closing date initially of Sept. 25. That didn't happen because of the USDA needed to do the stamp of approval on the loan and they hadn't yet.

Ok, so we changed the closing to Oct. 7. Buyer's were to stay on them to push the paperwork thru. They claimed they would call each day, etc. I felt confident in the Oct 7 date to close and scheduled movers, changed over the utilities, etc.

Today my realtor calls me to inform me that since the government shutdown, the loan is still sitting and not yet at the attorney's office. No one knows how long this shutdown will last but if it lasts for too much longer, I just can't afford paying for 2 places.

I have a feeling the answer to my question is "Check your lease". I have packed it away in one of the many boxes sitting out in the garage so don't have access to it so maybe I can get a general idea from you all.

How much does it usually cost to get out of a lease? I know you can't give the exact answer....I realize that, but take a guess of how it might be estimated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 10:22 AM

542 posts, read 1,550,883 times
Costs to break a lease can vary dramatically, probably anywhere from "a few hundred dollars" to "you have to pay the rent until the landlord rents it to someone else, plus pay his advertising costs" (which could go into the thousands of dollars depending on what your rent was going to be).

Have you tried contacting your new prospective landlord just to let him know what's happening and see if he can work with you, maybe let a few more days slide? Perhaps you and he can split the difference in how many days you need to delay (for example, if you want to push it out 6 days, maybe he'll be willing to push it out 3 days, so neither of you gets totally screwed in the deal).

Old 10-02-2013, 10:45 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,778,061 times
You can easily get a copy of your lease by calling the new LL and asking for one. The variables are too great for anyone in the blind to give you an answer.

Hint: If you move again, mark your boxes so you know what's in them!

Old 10-02-2013, 10:48 AM

10,150 posts, read 7,813,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
You can easily get a copy of your lease by calling the new LL and asking for one. The variables are too great for anyone in the blind to give you an answer.

Hint: If you move again, mark your boxes so you know what's in them!
I think people can give different situations and their experiences just to give me an idea. As I stated, that's what I'm asking for....not an exact answer.

FYI, I did mark boxes, but they are all on top of each other and and it would be hard to sort thru at this point.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:00 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,945,924 times
Your new landlord can give you a good idea of what's going to cost you. Doesn't mean he would get what he wants but why don't you start there by contacting him of the situation and go from there?

Old 10-02-2013, 11:07 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,749,983 times
Generally 3 possible scenarios I come across.

1. Your Rental Agreement states dollar amount

2. You negotiate an agreeable dollar amount or another option such as having someone acceptable move in with no loss to the owner.

3. You move and depending on how long before a replacement renter moves in... you are billed for the difference plus the costs to get the unit ready.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:20 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,778,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post

FYI, I did mark boxes, but they are all on top of each other and and it would be hard to sort thru at this point.
As I suggested, call your LL, tell him you've misplaced the lease and ask him to send you another. In a few minutes he could likely send you a copy as an attachment to an email, and then you can easily see if it has an early termination clause.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:22 AM

6,732 posts, read 10,007,195 times
You are going to need your lease multiple times before you move and immediately after, so it's worthwhile to dig it out if you can. Keep it with the things you need easy access to, like your toothbrush.

And yes, the first step is to ask the LL to work with you.

Asking the LL to make you another copy is an option, but a hassle for him/her and not a way to begin when you are asking for a favor .

Old 10-02-2013, 11:45 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,063,383 times
Find your lease, read your lease, don't pack your lease until you've done your final move out inspection and turned in the keys. I suggest you keep it in handy spot like a lock box or safe or some other place you keep very important papers that you might need to get your hands on in a timely manner.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:48 AM

1,263 posts, read 3,284,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
I think people can give different situations and their experiences just to give me an idea. As I stated, that's what I'm asking for....not an exact answer.

Search the renting forum for other threads about getting out of leases, costs for lease-break, etc - there are a tons of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting