Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 06:39 PM

7 posts, read 33,311 times

Advertisements

So, I signed the rental lease one day and then went and checked out the place the second time (the first time when it was shown to me first time) right away. When I check the rooms of the place I started smelling animal urine/waste. My question is that how do I break the lease and get all my money back as I'm in a hurry to find another place that don't smell. There are no carpets in this rental place so I think the animal smell has must have soaked through the wood and concrete of the place. I don't see any stains or marks. generally clean but smelly. I don't really have a desire to have it cleaned as I fear that when I finally move in the smell will come back (after it is "cleaned") and it might be more difficult to break my lease agreement. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 07:12 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldon_1956 View Post
So, I signed the rental lease (sight unseen) one day
and then went and checked out the place the second time ...
Is that correct?

Quote:
When I check the rooms of the place I started smelling animal urine/waste.
...how do I break the lease and get all my money back ...?
First step is to ASK the landlord.
See what happens.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:14 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,280,847 times
Have you already given them your security deposit and 1st months rent? If not, you could try claiming that you've had a sudden expense and can't afford to move in. See what they say then - they might want to just cancel the lease. I'm thinking that has higher odds of working than saying, "Phew! Your place stinks!"

But if they try to hold you to the lease, you'll just have to break it and pay the consequences. Look for a section in the lease that addresses breaking the lease early...

Old 10-12-2013, 07:17 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,280,847 times
Quote:
...There are no carpets in this rental place so I think the animal smell has must have soaked through the wood and concrete of the place....I fear that when I finally move in the smell will come back...
Yes, the smell can certainly come back if it's cat urine. This is why I'm always amazed at apartments that won't allow dogs but allow cats. Some cat spray issues get bad enough that it soaks into the drywall, underflooring, concrete, etc. Yuck!

Old 10-12-2013, 10:39 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Call the landlord, followed by written correspondence (preferably certified mail return receipt) stating your experience and desire to cancel the lease. You have easy justification here as this odor would not only interfere with your right to enjoy the residence but would pose a significant environmental risk as ammonia vapor (present in cat urine) in high enough concentration can react with water in your body to make ammonium hydroxide, which is corrosive and causes cell damage on contact. Also, the remediation work to correct this issue would likely not be a quick fix and would delay your possession of the home.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:43 PM

241 posts, read 245,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Call the landlord, followed by written correspondence (preferably certified mail return receipt) stating your experience and desire to cancel the lease. You have easy justification here as this odor would not only interfere with your right to enjoy the residence but would pose a significant environmental risk as ammonia vapor (present in cat urine) in high enough concentration can react with water in your body to make ammonium hydroxide, which is corrosive and causes cell damage on contact. Also, the remediation work to correct this issue would likely not be a quick fix and would delay your possession of the home.
lol, Im guessing this isnt your run in with cat urine. Great advice, imma have to save that in case i run into that problem! two thumbs up

Old 10-13-2013, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Is that correct?
No, I did an initial walk-through of the place before signing the lease, but it had not yet been cleaned and needed some repairs. The landlord lead me to believe that the maintenance and cleaning would be completed and that the house would be in good condition upon move-in. I was required to sign the lease and pay a holding fee before the listing would be removed from the rental market.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post
Have you already given them your security deposit and 1st months rent? If not, you could try claiming that you've had a sudden expense and can't afford to move in. See what they say then - they might want to just cancel the lease. I'm thinking that has higher odds of working than saying, "Phew! Your place stinks!"

But if they try to hold you to the lease, you'll just have to break it and pay the consequences. Look for a section in the lease that addresses breaking the lease early...

Unfortunately, I did pay the security deposit and 1st month's when I picked up the keys from the prop. mgt. office and before making a final inspection of the unit.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:43 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
I feel for you! You were fortunate enough in the beginning to have had the opportunity to view the unit prior to signing a lease. At my apt complex, you never see the apt until the day you get the keys (move-in day). When you first sign up for a place, either someone is still living there, or they are busy getting the unit ready for a new tenant, and you aren't allowed to see the place yet. There is a model apt on the property, but that is dressed up like Disneyland and definitely not an accurate representation of what your place will be like.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:21 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, I did pay the security deposit and 1st month's when I picked up the keys from the prop. mgt. office and before making a final inspection of the unit.

then read your lease and see what it says about early termination. Also, talk to your landlord BEFORE you begin to move items in. Have him meet you at the unit so you he can smell for himself what exactly you're smelling.

I find I hard to believe that you couldn't smell cat **** on your first visit...that stuff is nasty and you can't 'mask' it...you have to literally rip out whatever was peed on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting