Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 03:00 PM

104 posts, read 164,736 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I don't know where or who to ask this to.. so I might be on the wrong forum.

My lease expires on June 8. We had requested to stay month to month but the landlord declined and asked us to move asap but he would follow up and see what he could do or how much time he could give. He wants to sell the house and is afraid the selling season will be missed if we rent for two more months.

So, today (May 19) he gave us a written notice that we have to vacate by June 19. Our lease expires on June 8. He says the notice from today's date is our thirty days notice to move.

Is this right? Also, does the thirty day notice have to start from the June 8 lease end date or is now also fine for him to give?

thanks

p.s. our contract says exactly the below:

This lease automatically renews on a month to month basis unless Landlord or Tenant provides the other written notice of termination not less than thirty days before the expiration.

On the last day of the month following the month in which the notice is given, Landlord is not obligated to prorate the rent even if Tenant surrenders the Property before the termination date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 03:17 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,670,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayflowers4me View Post
Hi everyone,

My lease expires on June 8. We had requested to stay month to month but the landlord declined and asked us to move asap but he would follow up and see what he could do or how much time he could give. He wants to sell the house and is afraid the selling season will be missed if we rent for two more months.

So, today (May 19) he gave us a written notice that we have to vacate by June 19. Our lease expires on June 8. He says the notice from today's date is our thirty days notice to move.

Is this right? Also, does the thirty day notice have to start from the June 8 lease end date or is now also fine for him to give?

thanks

This lease automatically renews on a month to month basis unless Landlord or Tenant provides the other written notice of termination not less than thirty days before the expiration.

On the last day of the month following the month in which the notice is given, Landlord is not obligated to prorate the rent even if Tenant surrenders the Property before the termination date.
What state are you in?

Old 05-19-2013, 04:02 PM

104 posts, read 164,736 times
Dallas, Tx

Old 05-19-2013, 05:02 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
We had requested to stay month to month but the landlord declined and asked us to move asap...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lease
This lease automatically renews on a month to month basis unless Landlord or Tenant provides
the other written notice of termination not less than thirty days before the expiration.
When did the LL ask you to "move asap" (after the lease ended)... and was that in writing?

If not in writing and before May 8... you may have him on a technicality.
But pressing for the official letter of the agreement will still only buy you an extra week or so.

fwiw... you *really* don't want to be there if he's trying sell.
Start packing.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:14 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,257,364 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

thanks

Doesn't sound like he's got it right.

Sounds like he should have dated it for July 19th.

Last edited by Informed Info; 05-19-2013 at 08:36 PM..

Old 05-19-2013, 08:18 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Default This will help

U-Haul: Your moving and storage resource

Old 05-19-2013, 08:25 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Yes, he's in the right. He actually gave you a little extra time, because he didn't give you official termination notice on May 8th. It's okay to give 30 calendar days notice.

The other clause about prorating the rent is something some landlords do to make the tenant have to pay until the end of the month. If you were the one who gave notice, he could have said you had to pay to the end of June, because your 30 days would have fallen mid-month. I think these clauses are unfair, but at any rate, it doesn't apply to your situation.

So, yep, you have to move by May 19th. So, on June 1st, you pay 19 days prorated rent for June. If you can find a place sooner, sounds like he may be willing to reimburse some rent.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:48 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,257,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Yes, he's in the right. He actually gave you a little extra time, because he didn't give you official termination notice on May 8th. It's okay to give 30 calendar days notice.

The other clause about prorating the rent is something some landlords do to make the tenant have to pay until the end of the month. If you were the one who gave notice, he could have said you had to pay to the end of June, because your 30 days would have fallen mid-month. I think these clauses are unfair, but at any rate, it doesn't apply to your situation.

So, yep, you have to move by May 19th. So, on June 1st, you pay 19 days prorated rent for June. If you can find a place sooner, sounds like he may be willing to reimburse some rent.
No, the lease doesn't end until the 8th of June. Why would s/he have to prorate anything starting June 1st? S/he wouldn't and doesn't.

There is also this little clause in the lease that states:

Quote:
The LL asked him/her to get out by the 19th of June on the 19th of May. That isn't 30 days before expiration of the lease which is June 8th. He should have given him/her notice by the 8th or 9th of May....

Old 05-19-2013, 10:00 PM

292 posts, read 1,066,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
No, the lease doesn't end until the 8th of June. Why would s/he have to prorate anything starting June 1st? S/he wouldn't and doesn't.

There is also this little clause in the lease that states:

The LL asked him/her to get out by the 19th of June on the 19th of May. That isn't 30 days before expiration of the lease which is June 8th. He should have given him/her notice by the 8th or 9th of May....

He is actually doing her a courtesy by allowing her to stay beyond the lease ending date, had he wanted her out by June 8th which is the lease end date he would have had to give her notice on May 8th. He legally has to provide her 30 days notice that he is requiring her to move even after her lease expires.

Being that she will be there until the 19th of June...she needs to pay 19 days of rent from the 1st of June unless her lease states otherwise.

I would be out looking for a new place asap..if things are like here in Houston..places are going fast, esp with summer coming up and people switching for schools. I know at the apt community I work at in Katy, we have no 2's or 3's, not even on notice...

Old 04-27-2015, 11:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,484 times
Default 30 days could be legally sent on May 8th for a termination on June 8th.

Quote:
Hi everyone,

thanks

Hi, Termination could legally be sent a month before to terminate on June 8th. In otherwords, no month to month extension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting