Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2010, 02:12 PM

4 posts, read 17,305 times

Advertisements

Is anyone here from KY that knows about the laws in this state? Basically what I am dealing with is for many different circumstances my husband and I broke our lease with our landlord and bought a house. We gave the 30 day notice and even though there was nothing in the lease about what was due if we broke our lease we tried to negotiate with them about the remaining rent and they wouldn't have it. So we ended up paying the remaining 6 months which would have carried our lease through until Jan 10, 2010. We just recently found out this rental house has been re-rented since November. Which means this landlord has been collecting double the rent for 2 months. I do not know where to search for the laws but am wondering if this is legal and if anyone knows where to find the laws so I can reference them when I write a letter to get my 2 months rent back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 04:49 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
As far as I know is it NOT allowed in any State to collect twice and you should go to small claims court...

Old 01-22-2010, 05:53 PM

4 posts, read 17,305 times
That is what I keep reading, do you know if it is referenced some where as being illegal so I can reference in a letter to them. I want to try and see if they will be reasonable before I take them to court.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:46 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
If you paid for the remainder of your lease, through January, then that apartment was legally yours and your landlord had no right to rent it without refunding your rent. Small claims court. It is not even a matter of landlord/tenant law, it is a matter of equity. Give the landlord a minute or two to agree to return your rent for those months, and if he does not, tell him that you will be initiating a small claims court lawsuit. And do it. What he did is not only unethical, it is illegal.

Kentucky Revised Statutes

Old 10-29-2013, 07:13 AM

1 posts, read 2,729 times
Just signed a year lease in August . Now landlord wants to void it and do month to month. What can I do or expect? Not easy to find a place on a short notice with 3 kids!!!

Old 10-29-2013, 07:50 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatmaster View Post
Just signed a year lease in August . Now landlord wants to void it and do month to month. What can I do or expect? Not easy to find a place on a short notice with 3 kids!!!
A lease is a contract and cannot be changed in any way except with the express and written agreement of both parties. So the answer to your question is no. What your landlord wants is one thing but, unless you agree to it, he's legally bound to fulfill its terms - as are you. You'll find your state landlord tenant laws linked in the first "sticky" on this forum and it would probably be a good idea if you read them so you're fully aware of what's expected of both parties. Good luck!

Old 10-29-2013, 08:04 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatmaster View Post
You simply ask the landlord where in the contract it says the lease can be changed at the LL's will? One of my friends had the same experience and I gave her the same advise and the LL never said another word about it.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting