Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 02:01 PM

442 posts, read 588,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You're reaching for the stars.

Hardly.
You've provided no basis for your rebuttal of this law.

You obviously don't know much about Tenant Landlord issues. My parents owned many

houses growing up... and well into this year when my Father passed away.

I am managing a few of these houses and one small duplex at the moment. They are all for sale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 02:04 PM

442 posts, read 588,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I can well understand that the prospect of five months more of her puttering around invading his privacy would drive him nuts. Her whole attitude of, "you can leave if you don't like it" reeks of unprofessionalism and she sounds a bit batty, not to mention that she seems not to have much of a clue about being a landlord and what restrictions there are where entering the property is concerned. She may well need a polite but firm reminder and I wouldn't hesitate, whatever it takes.
Agreed. There are also others responding who are equally ignorant of legal contracts in general.

The Landlady needs to find something else to do recreationally. She should only be there to repair the fence,
that's the only valid reason to be messing with it. If it aint broken...
Unless it is agreed upon ahead of time she can spend an ordinate amount of time beautifying the home or property.
Otherwise it's not right.

Last edited by californiawomann5; 11-08-2013 at 02:15 PM..

Old 11-08-2013, 06:15 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntttt View Post
I entered into a 6 month lease for a single family home in Concord on October 1st 2013. I have already paid 4 of the 6 months rent. My landlord started painting the fence that surrounds the property on October 8th since then she has been in the yard 4-5 days a week for 3 to 8 hours a day painting it has gone on for a month now so far. Its Nov 7th today and she is less than halfway done so she will be at the property for many more weeks. When I try to talk to her about her constant presence at the property she gets very hostile and tells me because she is in the yard she can be here anytime she wants for as long as she wants. She has also told me if I don't like it I can leave ,she says that she has someone that will pay a higher rent. I am considering calling the police this feels like harassment what are my options. My concern is also that at some point two months down the road when she finishes this project she will start on something else so she will always be here and I cant get any peace.

Start by putting your objections in writting, documenting your previous verbal objections and restating your position, certified mail to the landlord. But before you send it, RESEARCH what your state laws say about this, if anything. Many states do recognize that you have rights to the "Quiet Enjoyment" of the rental property. California is probably the most tenant friendly, some states laws are very hostile towards tenants. So it can vary considerably depending on what state you live in.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:34 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
Hasn't she learned that the best way to stain or paint a fence is with a sprayer? Perhaps you might offer to find a worker to finish the job and reduce your rent by the cost.

This year, first time, I had a rent house painted while it was still occupied. It took the painters about 10 days, because of a few days lost to weather and some repair carpentry needed to the siding on the house. I reduced the rent by $200. My tenants were getting pretty frustrated, I could tell, especially since their 2 dogs needed to be confined in the house all day during that time. It was unavoidable, because the tenants have a 2- year lease and plan to renew again at the expiration of the lease....and the house really, really needed to be painted. I have another property that needs the fence re-stained, and so far am holding out until lease renewal time if they din't renew it will be a good time to schedule that work between tenants.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:40 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,084,858 times
Haha yeah you can really tell who the "pro-landlord" people are on here.

The tenant stated that they tried to speak with the landlord about this and they were told basically to leave if they didnt like it. To me, I'd like to get those words in writing and have that as the landlord wanting to break the lease, not the tenant.

I dont know about the op financial position or anything, but if it were me Id look somewhere else to live. That is just creepy and this landlord obviously has no life of their own except to paint. Sorry but painting the fence? Cant that wait?

Its kind of like having a hotel room at the beach and maintenance people constantly there making repairs to the room that obviously could wait .

Old 11-13-2013, 07:05 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,947,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
Haha yeah you can really tell who the "pro-landlord" people are on here.

The tenant stated that they tried to speak with the landlord about this and they were told basically to leave if they didnt like it. To me, I'd like to get those words in writing and have that as the landlord wanting to break the lease, not the tenant.

I dont know about the op financial position or anything, but if it were me Id look somewhere else to live. That is just creepy and this landlord obviously has no life of their own except to paint. Sorry but painting the fence? Cant that wait?

Its kind of like having a hotel room at the beach and maintenance people constantly there making repairs to the room that obviously could wait .
I don't know where some people get off with the attitude of "it's my house, I'll do what I want. If you don't like it, buy your own." What exactly is the tenant paying for? The extraordinary privilege of being allowed to live in your home? If I recall, I write a check each month for that "privilege".

As a tenant, I feel this way: If something needs to be fixed, I'll let you know and expect it to be fixed within a reasonable time frame. If you want to schedule an annual walk-thru to determine what maintenance needs to be done, I'm all for that. Just schedule the work to be done in a way that does not inconvenience me unreasonably. When I have to start taking time from work, put up with repairmen or bumbling do it yourself landlords that stay for hours because they have to leave and "get a part" and somehow get lost for hours before returning, I will become resentful and rightfully so.

In the meantime, I'll take care of minor things myself, and treat your home the way I would treat my own. Some people just should not become landlords if they can't treat their tenants with basic common respect for their time and quiet enjoyment.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:12 AM

90 posts, read 213,264 times
When she shows up park your butt outside in a lawn chair and video tape the birds wile sun bathing. Play horrible music, have long phone conversations. What I'm saying is make her feel uncomfortable and make sure you document everything!

Or buy some paint and finish the job yourself and when she shows up play dumb. She must of finished the job herself!? In the mean time start looking for a new place to live. Next will be a toilet that takes 3 weeks to repair by coming over everyday.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:18 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
To where did the OP disappear? An update would be nice!

Old 11-13-2013, 11:21 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident Seriously folks, according to the OP the landlady has been there for a MONTH already,
4-5 days a week for 3-8 hours daily.... that's a ridiculous amount of time ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
So what? That's still at the subjective end of the situation.
At the objective end is the right of the property owner to make repairs and improvements.

Absent lease terms that preclude or limit such exterior access (which I've never seen anywhere)
the short term tenant will be stuck having to put up with it.
ALSO at the objective end is the right of the tenant to the peaceful enjoyment of the property. Taking one month to paint a fence is grossly excessive an absurd intrusion into the tenants rights.

I advise the tenant to write a cease and desist letter to the landlord complaining about this intrusion and demanding that it stop.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:37 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
To where did the OP disappear? An update would be nice!
I suspect that further detail from the OP would show they were aware of the general poor condition
of the property before they moved in and that the LL had in fact made it clear she would be around
regularly during business hours to attend to that exterior work and that they have received both
the short term lease and the reduced rent because of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting