Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 10:24 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,755,867 times

Advertisements

I had a verbal agreement and appointment set to sign a lease tomorrow. The price and term were agreed upon. There was just one item left to figure out, which was a piece of furniture that would be included or not, and I just gave my preference, but left it open to decide upon. So tonight the landlord email, that there had been a "development" that someone else was interested but would decide the day after our appointment. I emailed back, that I'd be ok with whatever he wanted with the furniture and asked if that was the only issue.

We had a verbal agreement, so I won't allow him to pit me against some other maybe person. If someone makes a verbal agreement or any sort of agreement with me then chooses to change it later to their advantage, then I think they will be nothing but trouble in the future.

What do you think? If he tries to see if I'll hold out another day, to see if person number 2 takes it the next day, and he'll get back to me if they don't, then I'll say no deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 10:54 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,632,070 times
Anybody who goes back on their word for a few bucks is a person I would steer away from. To me it shows no integrity. If the deal isn't right don't make it at all IMO.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:56 AM

90 posts, read 213,524 times
We went through something similar. We found a home and struck a deal to sign lease then an email came in about an application with proof of income. I was ok with that, so I sent everything off to the ll. Then another email saying he had a bunch of people intreasted in the home so he was going to raise the rent and wanted a holding/application fee of $300 with a 2-3 year lease. I told the guy to kick rocks. We have a great rental history and my hubby has a great very well paying job with zero chance of being laid off and plenty of money in our accts. Once the LL went through all the application he came crawling back to us. But we found an even better home for cheaper and I told him that. He was then upset at me for backing out of our deal?!?!

I'm so glad we never took that home B/C who know what kind of greedy wack job that guy really is. I only saw a little bit and did not like it at all.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:06 AM

32,690 posts, read 48,227,692 times
Is it possible that OP did not quite have the solid agreement that he thinks he has? Different people will have different views about what was said. That is why contracts are in writing.

Personally, I will not hold a unit. It is on the market until papers are signed and money has been paid. Although, if I select someone and make an appointment to sign contracts, the unit is theirs as long as they can sign soon and they show up on time for their appointment, with all their funds.

I don't think it is right to open up bidding after a tenant has been accepted. I don't think it is right to charge more than the advertised price. However, it is not illegal for a different landlord, who feels differently, to try to get the best deal possible.

If this situation doesn't feel right to you, OP, then withdraw your application and keep looking. Be sure to actually tell the landlord that you have changed your mind. Don't leave him holding a unit for a tenant that doesn't show up.

Tenants who say they will take a place and then don't show up are rather common, which is why I will not hold a unit. It's not rented until the contract is signed and the rent and fees are all paid.

Old 11-10-2013, 01:16 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,632,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Is it possible that OP did not quite have the solid agreement that he thinks he has? Different people will have different views about what was said. That is why contracts are in writing.

Personally, I will not hold a unit. It is on the market until papers are signed and money has been paid. Although, if I select someone and make an appointment to sign contracts, the unit is theirs as long as they can sign soon and they show up on time for their appointment, with all their funds.

I don't think it is right to open up bidding after a tenant has been accepted. I don't think it is right to charge more than the advertised price. However, it is not illegal for a different landlord, who feels differently, to try to get the best deal possible.

If this situation doesn't feel right to you, OP, then withdraw your application and keep looking. Be sure to actually tell the landlord that you have changed your mind. Don't leave him holding a unit for a tenant that doesn't show up.

Tenants who say they will take a place and then don't show up are rather common, which is why I will not hold a unit. It's not rented until the contract is signed and the rent and fees are all paid.
I agree with this. I dont do hold it till you're ready either but it would take you not showing up to finalize paperwork and money payment for me to move to next person or doing something stupid like laying games with me. But I also won't play games with the rent. I research the rent charge. A reasonable rate and that's it.I actually have been in that position where I had people offering more sometimes substantially more to kick the other applicant to the side. I still to this day have not done that. But hey maybe that's something I can shoot for. How to screw people over, make enemies and have no integrity.

Old 11-10-2013, 02:55 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,496,710 times
I do not believe a deal is valid until a contract is signed.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:46 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,848,446 times
Any agreement regarding real estate must be in writing. Your verbal agreement is worthless.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:07 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,137,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsacg View Post
We went through something similar. We found a home and struck a deal to sign lease then an email came in about an application with proof of income. I was ok with that, so I sent everything off to the ll. Then another email saying he had a bunch of people intreasted in the home so he was going to raise the rent and wanted a holding/application fee of $300 with a 2-3 year lease. I told the guy to kick rocks. We have a great rental history and my hubby has a great very well paying job with zero chance of being laid off and plenty of money in our accts. Once the LL went through all the application he came crawling back to us. But we found an even better home for cheaper and I told him that. He was then upset at me for backing out of our deal?!?!

I'm so glad we never took that home B/C who know what kind of greedy wack job that guy really is. I only saw a little bit and did not like it at all.
That really suck, seems highly unethical, I would not want to do business with that kind of person. Just walk away.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:29 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,281,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I do not believe a deal is valid until a contract is signed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
Any agreement regarding real estate must be in writing. Your verbal agreement is worthless.
Depends on the state. Oral agreements are valid in most states, but proving an oral agreement existed is another matter altogether. Hard to enforce, yes, but not worthless.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:50 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,021,957 times
Well this person was going to sign a lease, IMO meaning they were all set and then a curve ball was thrown their way, I've have backed out also.

Hubby and I went to rent a 2 story loft, and was told a certain price. We were all set to sign, had the paperwork, etc. Then the man says because two of us would be living there he'd have to charge us $35/month extra. I was like um why? It's a 1 bedroom apartment and we are MARRIED, you knew that when I spoke to you and my husband and I saw the apartment together... We backed out, it probably rented, but we weren't about to pay $35/month extra with no real reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting