Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 9,901 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Long story short I moved in in April. Since then the lady who lives below me in my apartment will bang on the floor with a broom when I walk around my apartment at night, to include when I walk 5 feet from my bed to get a glass of water. I am a combat veteran, who is disabled with insomnia and walk around during my frequent sleepless nights.

After many complaints to my apartment managers, the problem escalated when she did it rather early one night and my apartment manager actually heard her from his apartment. She has continuously woke up my neighbor while banging. On this particular night she woke him up, and continued to bang. My apartment manager instructed me to call the police, and after she lied to the police when they arrived she turned her tv on to full volume to further obstruct my night. I called the police a second time and they told me there was nothing they could do.

I am at my wits end and would like to break my lease and live somewhere much more peaceful, how can I go about doing this after having complained about the noise to my apartment manager and them not having done anything about it. I live in california if it helps with the laws. I am too poor to afford a lawyer and would like to get my deposit back.

Colin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 02:49 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprod View Post
...the lady who lives below me in my apartment will bang on the floor with a broom when I walk around my apartment at night
Give her a bottle of "late evening" brandy

Old 07-31-2012, 05:04 PM

23 posts, read 64,071 times
Some people simply should not live below others. If you can't tolerate the noise made by someone simply living above you, you should not live there. Parties, loud TV, etc.., feel free to complain or call the police, but someone complaining about your walking around is hyper-sensitive to noise and should move.

The person used to who live downstairs from me was also hyper-sensitive to noise. She defined the following as "reasonable" noise levels: Her newborn screaming at all hours of the day and night.

Kids cry and I certainly don't expect them to be quiet but that same downstairs neighbor defined all of the following as "unreasonable" noise levels: my walking around barefoot on a carpeted floor, my 9 pound cat walking around the apartment being a cat, my alarm clock, my cell phone ringing, my TV at any level (had to use captions to understand words), my listening to music at any level, my talking with any guests at normal conversation level.

I wish I were exaggerating, but I'm not. This lady repeatedly called the landlord and complained about all the unreasonable noise I was making. She expected me to not even live in my apartment. This all ended when she called the police for my doing low impact aerobics in my living room at 5 PM (evening, NOT morning). The police said "we don't give people tickets for exercising at a reasonable hour."

This was resolved by the landlord moving her to a different apartment on the TOP floor, where there is no one above her.

Try talking about the situation with your landlord. Perhaps one of you can be moved to a different apartment else where in the complex.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:17 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Half of an Ambian at bed times puts me to sleep all night. You might share a bottle with her.

Not sure of any other solutions but talk to your landlord about a new Apt.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:39 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Definitely talk to the landlord. If there is a police report, send it to the landlord and let him/her know the issues. They may allow you to break the lease if you can find another tenant and give your deposit back. Good luck.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:01 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
maybe that half an Ambien washed down with the brandy?
yeah, that's the ticket!

Yea... that's the ticket! - YouTube

Old 07-31-2012, 06:25 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
maybe that half an Ambien washed down with the brandy?
yeah, that's the ticket!
Lady downstairs might be coming upstairs looking for love with that combination.

OP can you go downstairs and talk to her ? Maybe sweet talk, being nice and a little gift might make her see your side of the story. An apology for the noise and asking her for her help and consideration. Maybe being a Vet will score a few points.

OR... she could just be sweeping the ceiling at 2am.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:13 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,408,574 times
Cool well...

Quote:
Hello,

Long story short I moved in in April. Since then the lady who lives below me in my apartment will bang on the floor with a broom when I walk around my apartment at night, to include when I walk 5 feet from my bed to get a glass of water. I am a combat veteran, who is disabled with insomnia and walk around during my frequent sleepless nights.

After many complaints to my apartment managers, the problem escalated when she did it rather early one night and my apartment manager actually heard her from his apartment. She has continuously woke up my neighbor while banging. On this particular night she woke him up, and continued to bang. My apartment manager instructed me to call the police, and after she lied to the police when they arrived she turned her tv on to full volume to further obstruct my night. I called the police a second time and they told me there was nothing they could do.

I am at my wits end and would like to break my lease and live somewhere much more peaceful, how can I go about doing this after having complained about the noise to my apartment manager and them not having done anything about it. I live in california if it helps with the laws. I am too poor to afford a lawyer and would like to get my deposit back.

Colin
march yourself down to her front door and bang until she answer it and tell her to knock it off.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:31 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,450,158 times
proposition swapping apartments with her to management. she will get some peace and you will be able to bang YOUR broom at her when she gets up to take a pee in the middle of the night =]

Old 08-01-2012, 09:32 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Hello,

Colin

you also have to remember that in the wee hours of the morning when everyone is asleep, sounds are heard louder. While you are probably not making noise on purpose, i can understand her thinking.
by combat veteran, dos that mean you have something wrong with yourself, do you walk very hard, anyhting like that, that we do not know?

Ugh, it is 2am and this F**K is freaking still up walking around, ugh, man, go to bed already...so I get that. Because it is annoying.

Do you have carpeting or rugs in your bedroom...???

It is a difficult thing.

My next door apartment neighbor, it would even seem like if I awoken in the middle of the night to get a snack, pee or anything, for some reason, this B***h was alwasy up walking around.....it can get annoying.....and there is nothing you can do, because everyone has different lives and time schedules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting