Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 05:36 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy66 View Post
They are "family" that we tried to help out. I mean, we have known them for years and never thought they would ever act this way. They are not immigrants, I just didn't charge them a deposit because they were family and we never made an agreement because i trusted them.
But okay, i have an extra key. I just didn't want to get into any trouble since they told me they would accuse me
of stealing there things. But i mean, it's just old used items that they are sending to there hometown for there family.

Thanks for the information.
I posted my reply without seeing this post.

If you are worried about them saying you stole their property, just take pictures or do a video from the moment you unlock that door -- showing the place, room by room.

And you still need a locksmith to change the locks. I don't care if they DO return the keys - folks can make copies of keys.

So have you already been in the house? How do you know the stuff is "old used items" -- I wouldn't be taking their word for anything at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 05:39 PM

241 posts, read 792,781 times
"They could just take that box to there house, but they said no because it would take to much space"

I think this is the most important line in the post. They are holding your keys hostage because of a box? Mr. Rational is right, except for saying to sell your house. Perhaps he wasn't paying attention to the fact that you are now going to be living in your house. I'm guessing he means don't rent to anyone again

Old 12-05-2013, 05:41 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,976,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Why would these folks say they would "call the cops on you" when you have done them a huge favor by letting them live in your house? That just makes no sense at all.
because they are smart and may be setting the OP up for a lawsuit.

I don't care if they are family, friends, aquaintances or strangers; they are legal tenants with all the rights and responsibilities of a tenant. The tenants are exerting their rights because the landlord isn't smart enough to hold them to their responsibiliites.

To the OP, you had better get some legal advice because your about to get yourself into hot water (expensive hot water), if the tenants follow through.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:43 PM

241 posts, read 792,781 times
Well, I didn't see the additional posts, either. They are family? So what would be the big deal if you move back in and the box sits there until it gets picked up? Since they are so adamant that it has to stay there until it's picked up, why not just let it stay there, with you in the house? Don't let them push you around.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:45 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,139,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Most states you only have to give 24 hour notice to enter the property anyway. I think knowing the property was left empty would be a pretty good reason to say you needed to do an inspection. And please say you have a key to your own house and that you didn't give them every copy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
If you are already paying the utilities . . . and the house is in your name . . . why aren't you back in your house?

First of all, you said your neighbors called . . . so I am assuming you are not presently living in the same town/state where your house is located. Are you certain (as in, have seen with your own eyes) that they have vacated the property and that it is still habitable? Something sounds so fishy about this . . . I am wondering if they have trashed the place or if they haven't moved but part of their stuff out.

Why would these folks say they would "call the cops on you" when you have done them a huge favor by letting them live in your house? That just makes no sense at all.

You need to get a locksmith in, change the locks and if anyone calls the cops, just have a copy of your utilities agreements and a copy of your tax bill or something to show you are the owner of the house.

I agree with others . . . you have no obligation to keep their box(es) of clothing and whatever else they have left behind. I would probably be a nice person and put their box(es) aside and let them come pick them up, but after being threatened with intervention from police . . . I don't know I would remain so charitable. And if the house is a terrible mess, I might be inclined to just throw their stuff in the dump.
I also suspect that something is "fishy".

Hmmm. there was the time that the renters across the hallway moved out and the place looked like a "hoarder's convention on crack" when they were gone (and supposed to have left it neat & clean & empty.

And when the previous owner told my brother "I'll be back next week to pick up two small boxes of tools that I left in the basement." A year later my brother had to pay a "junk removal company" to carry out a full truck load of useless junk, rotten lumber and boxes of rusty metal" from the basement. That whole time my brother couldn't use one large section of his basement and the guy still kept saying "I'll be there soon to pick it up."

Last edited by germaine2626; 12-05-2013 at 05:55 PM..

Old 12-05-2013, 05:47 PM

5 posts, read 30,468 times
They said they would "call the cops on me" because they asked me if they could have 15 more days of this month because of the box they had, i said sure but if they could hand over the keys because i needed to fix some things up before i moved in. And she refused and said no, that they wanted the house and no one inside because they didn't want anything stolen. So since I didn't agree to this they said fine, and don't you dare try breaking in without our approval throwing the box out or we will call the cops saying that you are trying to steal our things. I mean, i offered them an entire room so they could keep that box there if they wanted. But nope, they want things done there way.
And yes, lesson learned. You can't even trust your own family.

And also, she herself stated that they had moved out. That's why we were suppose to meet up this Sunday, so she would give me the key, and she comes up with all of this. I drove all the way over there, she wouldn't show up or answer my calls till two hours later.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:47 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,730,943 times
Take a camera, get a lock smith, change the locks and tape or make pictures of any item left.

Since the utilities were out of their name they abandoned the property and you had agreed about the time frame and had given proper notice.

No reason for an official eviction. In case they call the cops, just take the deed and otherwise call the cops yourself if you feel threatened.

The cops will not do anything since it is a civil issue and not a criminal issue since you are going into your own property and you have the law on your side if what you have stated is the truth.

If the previous tenant is bothering you call the cops or if it gets worse get a restraining order. Put their stuff in a place in the house or storage depending on what it is.

You can even tell the previous tenants they can get it back if they reimburse you for damage they did to the property but keep in mind that locks can't be deducted since you probably would have changed the locks anyway to keep them from walking in.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:53 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,730,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I also suspect that something is "fishy".

Hmmm. there was the time that the renters across the hallway moved out and the place looked like a "hoarder's convention on crack".

And when the previous owner told my brother "I'll be back next week to pick up two small boxes of tools that I left in the basement." A year later my brother had to pay a "junk removal company" to carry out a full truck load of useless junk, rotten lumber and boxes of rusty metal" from the basement. That whole time my brother couldn't use one large section of his basement and the guy still kept saying "I'll be there soon to pick it up."
We waited until the day of the lease ended and had everything removed that was left behind by the tenant in the driveway and garage....our lease agreement is very clear about what we can do when a tenant is leaving and what they have left behind.

This tenant was a hoarder and lived at the property for 8 years with 3 dogs while we only approved 1. Never complained about anything and always paid on time. During one inspection we noticed what a mess it was and she promised to clean it. The owner was present at the inspection since he came to see all his properties and to discuss improvements he planned to do but for this house he was clear....just let her be like that and we take care of it when she moves out. That was last month and it was horrific but if you calculate 8 years of no repairs, and rent every month, than the $ 7000 in repairs is not that bad since it is incl. painting interior and exterior, new shower pan, faucets, vanities, new screens, some new appliances, etc. and we have it rented within 3 weeks.

Repairs are tax deductible.....

Old 12-05-2013, 05:57 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,132,333 times
I don't think this was answered. Are they paying you rent for the 15 days in December?

Old 12-05-2013, 06:05 PM

5 posts, read 30,468 times
No, I paid the rent for this month because it was due. She said she wouldn't pay rent this month because she had moved already and had disconnected the utilities.
The utilities are under my name since the the day she disconnected hers which was the 1st.
I think i have all the rights to my home already, but she keeps telling me she can get me into trouble with the cops.
I just don't want trouble... That's all. But I'm not quite clear about laws, so i have no idea if she can harm me in anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting