Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 05:06 PM

542 posts, read 1,549,475 times

Advertisements

So you may (or may not?) have heard about the latest smoke detector law in CA - starting Jan 1, 2014, they have to meet State Fire Marshal list of approved devices, which means including a hush feature, 10-year tamper-resistant battery, etc. According to an AOA article, it sounded like we were all going to have to have these fancy new devices in our rentals by new year's day.

Quote:
New Laws
As of January 1, 2014, all smoke alarms installed in residential rental units must be on the State Fire Marshal’s list of approved devices. In order to be on the list of approved devices, the device must:
  1. Display the date of manufacture on the device
  2. Provide a place on the device where the date of installation can be written
  3. Incorporate a hush feature
  4. Incorporate an end-of-life feature that provides notice that the device needs to be replaced; and
  5. Contain a non-replaceable, non-removable battery that is capable of powering the smoke alarm for a minimum of 10 years (this last requirement applies only if the device is battery operated).
New Laws for 2014 Regarding Smoke Alarms – By Michael A. Brennan, Eviction Attorney *|*AOA Magazine

However, upon doing some research, it sounds to me like we don't have to replace all our current, functioning smoke detectors, as per this quote:

Quote:
As a general rule, this bill does not require property owners to retrofit existing smoke detectors that are operable. Instead, beginning in 2014, the bill makes it illegal to sell battery-operated smoke alarms without a ten-year, tamper resistant battery. Over time, as consumers replace existing alarms, this will ensure the proliferation of the safer, tamper-proof detectors. As exceptions to this general rule, however, the bill does require retrofit with detectors that meet the new smoke detector requirements in two circumstances: 1) when the owner of any residential dwelling unit seeks a building permit for alterations, repairs, or additions greater than $1000 in value; and 2) when a new tenancy commences in single-family or multifamily rental housing. In addition, in this second circumstance, the owner of the rental unit must ensure that detectors are placed in compliance with current building code standards, which may require the installation of additional detectors. In order to reduce the impact on property owners, the committee may wish to consider an amendment to eliminate the requirement for rental housing owners to retrofit existing operable smoke detectors. In that case, rental housing owners would still have to ensure proper placement, but the retrofit requirement would only apply to substantial dwelling improvements.
SB 1394 Senate Bill - Bill Analysis

So, in short, it sounds to me like we only have to put in the new type of smoke detectors when:
1) We do $1,000 or more in permitted work to the property.
2) We start a new tenancy.
3) We have to replace an old detector because it's broken (this is how they'll get everyone to eventually have the new better ones - it's a war of attrition).

Has anyone else heard anything of this nature regarding this law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 05:22 PM

34,090 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxie Girl View Post
So, in short, it sounds to me like (we'll need to) put in the new type of smoke detectors when:
3) We have to replace an old detector because it's broken...
Not merely "broken".

Even if you have tenants of long standing...
few will stay longer than it takes for a detector to exceed it's useful life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR
Replace CO alarms every five years and smoke alarms every 10 years.
LINK including performance data

Old 12-09-2013, 05:32 PM

542 posts, read 1,549,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Not merely "broken".

Even if you have tenants of long standing...
few will stay longer than it takes for a detector to exceed it's useful life.
Agreed, I said "broken" to be more concise, but "past its useful life" would have been a more accurate phrase.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:47 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,761,394 times
It's beginning to sound a lot like....no not Christmas but Europe!!!

Be ready for higher taxes and more government regulations with all kinds of B.S. environment regulations all costing people who already have a hard time to get by, an even harder time.

How many people die in homes due to fires when they have the current fire alarms?

I'm all in favor of prevention but not for government overstepping their boundaries to get more regulations and since people have to buy new stuff they will have to pay more sales tax...so who will end up getting money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxie Girl View Post
So you may (or may not?) have heard about the latest smoke detector law in CA - starting Jan 1, 2014, they have to meet State Fire Marshal list of approved devices, which means including a hush feature, 10-year tamper-resistant battery, etc. According to an AOA article, it sounded like we were all going to have to have these fancy new devices in our rentals by new year's day.

New Laws for 2014 Regarding Smoke Alarms – By Michael A. Brennan, Eviction Attorney *|*AOA Magazine

However, upon doing some research, it sounds to me like we don't have to replace all our current, functioning smoke detectors, as per this quote:

SB 1394 Senate Bill - Bill Analysis

So, in short, it sounds to me like we only have to put in the new type of smoke detectors when:
3) We have to replace an old detector because it's broken (this is how they'll get everyone to eventually have the new better ones - it's a war of attrition).

Has anyone else heard anything of this nature regarding this law?

Old 12-09-2013, 05:55 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
How many people die in homes due to fires when they have the current fire alarms?
Smoke alarms

"Almost two-thirds of home fire deaths resulted from fires in properties without working smoke alarms.
In 2005-2009, smoke alarms were present in almost three-quarters (72%) of reported home fires and sounded in half (51%) of the home fires reported to U.S. fire departments. Homes include one- and two-family homes, apartments or other multi-family housing, and manufactured housing. More than one-third (38%) of home fire deaths resulted from fires in which no smoke alarms were present at all. One-quarter (24%) of the deaths were caused by fires in properties in which smoke alarms were present but failed to operate. Smoke alarms operated in fires that caused roughly one-third (37%) of the deaths. One percent of the deaths resulted from fires that were too small to activate the smoke alarm."

Old 12-10-2013, 10:23 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,761,394 times
Sorry...smoke alarms...you are right.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:07 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
I keep extras in all my vehicles plus batteries...

Chances of finding one or more non-functioning detectors at my annual inspections is high.

Some homes never have a problem and others are always a problem... mostly those with active children.

One per bedroom plus one per level... have a small 3 bedroom split level and it requires 6 for Section 8.

Philosophically... I have no problem with detectors... I have one in my own home.

What I find unbelievable is I as a Landlord am often more concerned about safety than the parents of the families that rent from me.

Whenever there is a fire call in my city... the smoke Detector(s) are always inspected... God help the Landlord with a non functioning or missing one without proper documentation!

Old 12-10-2013, 11:12 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I keep extras in all my vehicles plus batteries...

Chances of finding one or more non-functioning detectors at my annual inspections is high.

Some homes never have a problem and others are always a problem... mostly those with active children.

One per bedroom plus one per level... have a small 3 bedroom split level and it requires 6 for Section 8.

Philosophically... I have no problem with detectors... I have one in my own home.

What I find unbelievable is I as a Landlord am often more concerned about safety than the parents of the families that rent from me.

Whenever there is a fire call in my city... the smoke Detector(s) are always inspected... God help the Landlord with a non functioning or missing one without proper documentation!
Do you ever find that tenants remove the batteries to use in other devices?

Old 12-10-2013, 11:20 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Yes... also find batteries in wrong or the plastic clips or covers broken.

Last week I replaced all the batteries in smokes and CO detectors.

The next day Housing was there for the annual...

One of the Five devices failed... batteries were in wrong!

All were tested previously by me...

Some fry food daily and these have the most issues.

I have two families from Southern States and every meal has deep fried food and smokes near the kitchen are always problematic...

Same apartment and floorplan in another unit and never a problem...

Way back when... like the early 80's... smokes had special long life batteries... the batteries did not fit other things like radios, remote and video games.

Never had a problem with these except batteries were expensive.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:10 PM

327 posts, read 1,119,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Yes and some even remove the whole unit themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting