Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 03:15 AM

814 posts, read 2,046,215 times

Advertisements

I recently inherited a house in NJ. Before i was going/able to move in to the home, I had let some friends of the decadent stay in the house. there was no lease, no rent, just pay utilities. Well things went "south" real quick. I had to get them out. On Nov 1st I asked them to leave and they called the cops. the cops told me since i am not yet living at the house I had to to leave or go to jail. I left. I just did what is called an ejectment (not an eviction) proceeding in Cape May County NJ courthouse. I filed for it Nov 4th got the paperwork and self served it on 11/15. We all went to court on 12/2 and they were out by court order on 12/9.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 06:13 AM

2 posts, read 1,057 times
our landlord said he needed to move back into our rental property, he said would two months be sufficient enough time to move, he said he would help us whatever that meant, we said yes that would be fine, now he just evicted his mom from the house, now he said he wants to be in the house sometime in April but wants us to pay rent until we leave we cant pay rent and move to is this legal?

Old 01-27-2016, 06:17 AM

2 posts, read 1,057 times
our rent is up to date and we have not been a problem, even though the landlord refused to make proper repairs to the house, or replace broken stove and refrigerator, which i purchased and replaced, we will move because we want to get out of the house, but he has not sent any paperwork or anything , just text messages, is this legal?

Old 01-27-2016, 07:50 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,764,568 times
do you have a lease? If so, then no. If your lease has expired and is now month to month, then he should be sending you a written letter that you need to be out by april, but you know now and should start preparing.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:31 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,106,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I have heard the same thing...BUT why would you think you can evict anybody without a reason?

I don't think any State has any law stating that part!

In order to evict you need a valid reason and first you need to post or serve a notice for the item that is wrong or for non payment, and that means the correct form needs to be posted or served....than you have to wait until the time frame is over and if no results have come than you can file for an eviction.

I think you may need some legal advise.
If the landlord wants to terminate the month to month lease with them, all he has to do is provide the required written notice 30 days before ending the lease, or later if the state laws require something different.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:10 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,714,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
If the landlord wants to terminate the month to month lease with them, all he has to do is provide the required written notice 30 days before ending the lease, or later if the state laws require something different.

You are responding to a 2 year old post. There is a new post that revived this thread yesterday although your answer is basically correct for the new post.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:20 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,714,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyj66 View Post
our landlord said he needed to move back into our rental property, he said would two months be sufficient enough time to move, he said he would help us whatever that meant, we said yes that would be fine, now he just evicted his mom from the house, now he said he wants to be in the house sometime in April but wants us to pay rent until we leave we cant pay rent and move to is this legal?

You are not making much sense (in bold). If you leave at the 60 day notice mark then of course you should pay rent up until that time. Need more info:

When did he give you the 2 month's (60 day) notice?

Were you on a month to month lease or still on a year lease?

What state do you reside in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting