Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2013, 04:40 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,501,659 times

Advertisements

Hi all

I am moving in a week into a new condo building....the condo I am currently in is a townhouse style and I am on the first floor...it has been hellish, I can hear every step the people upstairs take.

The new building is seven stories, about 170 condos in the building...and the landlord told me in all the years she lived there she heard nothing, unless the people upstairs were dragging furniture, which was like once.

I have been there for the past week doing work in the condo and bringing stuff over there, so I have been over there for long periods of time, and I have heard NOTHING so far. As a matter of fact, today when I was walking down the hallway to my new place, someone was blasting their music and it was very audible from the hallway but once I was in my place, total silence.

What kind of soundproofing could this be? How come some places are so quiet while others you can practically hear the person breathing next door?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 08:20 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,015,477 times
Concrete between the walls I believe. I lived in an apartment built to condo specs and inside you couldn't hear anything unless people were running all over their apartments.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:11 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,263,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
Hi all

I am moving in a week into a new condo building....the condo I am currently in is a townhouse style and I am on the first floor...it has been hellish, I can hear every step the people upstairs take.

The new building is seven stories, about 170 condos in the building...and the landlord told me in all the years she lived there she heard nothing, unless the people upstairs were dragging furniture, which was like once.

I have been there for the past week doing work in the condo and bringing stuff over there, so I have been over there for long periods of time, and I have heard NOTHING so far. As a matter of fact, today when I was walking down the hallway to my new place, someone was blasting their music and it was very audible from the hallway but once I was in my place, total silence.

What kind of soundproofing could this be? How come some places are so quiet while others you can practically hear the person breathing next door?
You should probably take this issue to the home improvement-ish board on CD. It has nothing to do with real estate or renting or mortgages....etc. You'd get a lot more help over there!

Old 12-23-2013, 03:14 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,033,682 times
Our building is the same way and it's the concrete....we have poured concrete walls and sold concrete floors...hear barely anything in this place. Love it!

Old 12-23-2013, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Our building is the same way and it's the concrete....we have poured concrete walls and sold concrete floors...hear barely anything in this place. Love it!

yes, it's great!! complete opposite of where I am living now...:0) Landlord told me it is "double paned soundproof walls" or something like that? lol

Last edited by jen5276; 12-23-2013 at 04:54 AM..

Old 12-23-2013, 05:14 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,662,411 times
Another reason to never buy a condo conversion. If it was built as a condo it should be fine. If it was converted from an apartment you will probably have noise.

I have cement walls. No noise. My neighbor was there for a year and never knew I had a dog until he saw him with me outside. My dog went nuts when the doorbell rang and barked and barked but the neighbor never heard him.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Another reason to never buy a condo conversion. If it was built as a condo it should be fine. If it was converted from an apartment you will probably have noise.

I have cement walls. No noise. My neighbor was there for a year and never knew I had a dog until he saw him with me outside. My dog went nuts when the doorbell rang and barked and barked but the neighbor never heard him.
You are right...apartments were built poorly, I believe condo's have higher standards (most of the time)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting