Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 01:07 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,280,639 times

Advertisements

At the end of Sept of this year my husband retired after a career with the federal government. After moving every 2 to 3 years for the last 13 years we are making one final move the end of February but want to rent for at least the first 6 months to year to give us plenty of time to look around the area before buying. All we have for income purposes is his retirement which is quite good but will that be enough or are LL's looking for employment? We have no bills, excellent credit and a good chunk of savings but no job, nor at this point in time is he or I really looking for a job. What do you as LL's look for in regards to monthly income versus rent? Thanks in advance for any answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 01:36 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,778,716 times
About 40 times the monthly rent, so take your pre-tax, annual income and divide that by 40. That's the maximum rent you'll be approved for.

Last edited by tworent; 12-29-2013 at 01:51 PM..

Old 12-29-2013, 02:18 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
You have some sort of paperwork stating how much retirement income he is getting and probably some bank statements showing how much you are depositing every month.

The landlord does not care whether or not you have a job. The landlord cares whether or not you have enough verifiable income to pay the rent. If you have proof that you are receiving that retirment fund income, you should be good to go (as long as you qualify in the other areas as well.)

Old 12-29-2013, 02:22 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
......... What do you as LL's look for in regards to monthly income versus rent? ..........
I require that take home income every month be 3 times the monthly rent. If there are extremely heavy debts, then the income must be higher, but never lower than 3 times the rent.

If you are alighting in a temporary place, I suggest that you rent the cheapest place that you can find that is still safe. Save your money for the expenses of buying, closing costs, moving again, a bigger down payment.

Anyone can put up with living in a small place for 6 months in order to preserve their capital.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:19 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
About 3x the rent good credit and stable job. If retired its fine just gotta prove income. The income can be either single or married. I also look at DTI so you can make 8k per month but if you pay out 7k you're nit renting from me

Old 12-30-2013, 07:05 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
If your dh is getting Social Security or a pension check every month, that's considered income.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:57 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,010,750 times
Just out of curiosity, how do you handle people who are moving but haven't started a job yet? I'll be moving in June to start a new job, so technically won't have any income at the time of moving...

Old 01-02-2014, 12:13 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
Just out of curiosity, how do you handle people who are moving but haven't started a job yet? I'll be moving in June to start a new job, so technically won't have any income at the time of moving...
You verify the applicants employment, must like you would with any other applicant.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:10 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
At the end of Sept of this year my husband retired after a career with the federal government. After moving every 2 to 3 years for the last 13 years we are making one final move the end of February but want to rent for at least the first 6 months to year to give us plenty of time to look around the area before buying. All we have for income purposes is his retirement which is quite good but will that be enough or are LL's looking for employment? We have no bills, excellent credit and a good chunk of savings but no job, nor at this point in time is he or I really looking for a job. What do you as LL's look for in regards to monthly income versus rent? Thanks in advance for any answers.
Mama Mia! You are the perfect tenants! Guaranteed income - never to worry about losing your job. Savings, no debt, mature, no kids lol! ......doesn't get any better than that! As long as your landlord references are good, I see no problem.

In your situation, I wouldn't have required 3x the monthly rent. I didn't do that. I rented to a lot of students in Santa Clara, CA. I would look at your debts and your credit and landlord references, and I used to give wiggle room on the income required. So, although most landlords do use the 3x rule, not all do.

Happy retirement!

Old 01-02-2014, 05:13 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,801,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Mama Mia! You are the perfect tenants!
You forgot to ask about pets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting