Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 12:51 PM

6 posts, read 19,019 times

Advertisements

I moved into a new place last month, a duplex. I found it via Craigslist, the landlord seems super nice, and the guy that lived in the duplex was just moving to the other side of it (he's the handyman) -- the last tentants RUINED it, and made a massive mess. So he moved to the other side to take care of it and stay in that side and I moved into the other side. It's incredible, and I love it.

Since he was there, the landlord had him show me the place, and had me sign the lease she had there, and I gave the deposit and rent checks to him. All is well, I absolutely love living there.

But I have a question. The landlord told me the best way to get ahold of her was text or cell, and gave me her cell number, and the handyman could also help with anything-- and if anything went wrong, he'd be the one to fix it.

About a week ago, my sister and I rescued some pups in her neighborhood that were thrown from a moving vehicle. She kept one, we've found homes for others except 1. I took responsibility for her, took her to the vet, got her a crate, and have been crate training (and doing some doggy daycare some days) her at my sisters until we figured out something. But the brother in law is ready for the pup to go now. So, in an effort to find out if I can keep her or need to rehome her, I emailed the landlord (just to explain what was going on), and then text her. I've done it twice in about a week and haven't heard anything back, and have been trying to get ahold of her. Included was also a quick rent question (since I haven't even met the landlord yet, I don't know how to get the rent to her ).

What should I do? I do need to know how to get rent to her, but I suppose I can ask the handyman, but I really do want to hear straight from her about pets.....because the lease doesn't say anything about pets at all. It was actually just a simple 1 page paper, saying what the rent was, deposit was, and what appliances were included, and what utils I had to pay for, so it wasnt this long massive lease or anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 01:30 PM

146 posts, read 711,520 times
What's the question exactly? If there's nothing in your rinky dink lease about pets, then you should only be liable for any damage the puppy causes. I wouldn't assume that the landlord will be okay with you keeping it though just because he hasn't gotten back to you. Keep trying to contact him, and perhaps also keep trying to rehome this one in case getting attached to it backfires on you.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:25 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutterblog View Post
Since he was there, the landlord had him show me the place, and had me sign the lease she had there, and I gave the deposit and rent checks to him. All is well, I absolutely love living there.

But I have a question. The landlord told me the best way to get ahold of her was text or cell, and gave me her cell number, and the handyman could also help with anything-- and if anything went wrong, he'd be the one to fix it.

Included was also a quick rent question (since I haven't even met the landlord yet, I don't know how to get the rent to her ).
What a way to do business....Trust me...you'll here from them when rents due.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:35 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
What should I do?
Get rid of the dog until you receive written permission to have a dog. Unless you have express written permission, you shouldn't bring an animal onto the property, regardless of whether or not the lease agreement is silent about it.

You represented yourself as a tenant without pets when the landlord agreed to rent to you, so you need to remain that way until/unless a new agreement is reached. Mail a written request to the location where your rent is paid and keep a copy. This keeps your side of the street clean on the issue.

Steve

Old 07-29-2010, 06:33 AM

6 posts, read 19,019 times
Thanks everyone...

I didn't actually "have" the dog to begin with at my place--- it was never in my apartment, as stated in my post, I was training her at my sisters home (I didnt want a dog in the apartment without permission, which was why I was trying to find out about it.) Mailing a request to where the rent is paid would not have worked anyway--as I had no clue where rent was going, no one told me.

The good news is yesterday my boss adopted the pup so I don't have to worry about finding her a home anymore!

Now I just have to get with someone and find out where I pay the rent! Thanks!

Old 07-29-2010, 06:50 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,054 times
Great!! Thanks for giving this dog - and the other ones too! - a new family.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:50 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,632,650 times
Quote:
Unless you have express written permission, you shouldn't bring an animal onto the property, regardless of whether or not the lease agreement is silent about it.
Seems to me that if the lease does not forbid pets then the tenant is perfectly within their rights to get one.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
Seems to me that if the lease does not forbid pets then the tenant is perfectly within their rights to get one.
The lease probably doesn't expressly forbid goats either if it's silent about animals. Doesn't mean goats are are allowed.

But the OP responded and was doing the right thing all along. I had missed the fact that the puppy was not already on premise. Sounds like a crappy lease agreement and an armature landlord, which places the tenant at greater risk due to the unpredictable and ill-defined nature of the agreement, thus I still recommend documenting EVERYTHING that happens throughout the lease term. If it's a conversation with a maintenance guy in the driveway, I'd keep a running journal with time, date and summary of the conversation in case it's ever needed.

Steve

Old 07-29-2010, 08:14 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
I don't see what your problem is with goats.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I don't see what your problem is with goats.
They have bad breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting