Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 08:24 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Our lease states we are responsible for paying a minimum of two months rent, or until the unit is rented, if we break a lease (it's at the owner's discretion).

Am curious about something that happened to one of the tenants in our complex who broke their lease early. They had five months left on their lease and were told they had to pay the full five months before vacating; which they did. However the unit was rented just one month later. Does the departing tenant have any legal rights to get back the large amount of rent they had to pay to break their lease?
I have heard things like this before. My first thought it why in the world would anyone pay the remaining lease at that point up front? Why not just keep paying monthly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 08:24 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Absolutely. LLs aren't allowed to "double dip". The previous tenants will need proof that the unit was successfully re-rented and then a letter should be sent to the LL requesting return of the rent they paid after the new tenants moved in.
That makes sense to me, thanks for the reply. I don't know the people personally, but I hope they do follow up on it.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:25 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
I was in a 2 year lease that I wanted out of early due to divorce. I notified the landlord when there was one year left. She would not let me out. Even when I offered to let her keep the security deposit. It's not always that easy, and I did not want to have to deal with a lawsuit. I ended up having to ride out the remainder of the lease.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:38 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
It isn't that breaking a lease is a huge deal, its that people don't want, and sometimes can't, pay anything when they break it. Depending on your situation, coming up with two months rent at a time could leave you purt near broke, therefore people look for reasons not to pay any extra fees associated with it. Also, some people here get fed up with situations in their dwellings and legitimately need to know if they will have to pay extra fees and penalties or not due to the conditions of the dwelling. Some people legitimately don't know that they can't up and leave because the neighbor is having his place remodeled and construction starts early in the morning, or need to know if they can leave early without paying fees due to a dwelling becoming less habitable than what it was.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:02 AM

836 posts, read 1,662,237 times
I've broken leases repeatedly by working with landlord on equitable terms; I'm actually paying for 2 places right now because I wanted to bail on one and landlord there is out of the country.
I put my word on the lease so I'm honoring it.

Leases are pretty much written with the landlord's best interests in mind. Some look down their noses at 'renters' but you won't see a U-haul at the cemetery so Everyone is a renter.

Do you think Trump would hesitate to break a lease if it was in his best interest?

Old 01-24-2014, 09:09 AM

799 posts, read 1,549,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
It isn't that breaking a lease is a huge deal, its that people don't want, and sometimes can't, pay anything when they break it. Depending on your situation, coming up with two months rent at a time could leave you purt near broke, therefore people look for reasons not to pay any extra fees associated with it. Also, some people here get fed up with situations in their dwellings and legitimately need to know if they will have to pay extra fees and penalties or not due to the conditions of the dwelling. Some people legitimately don't know that they can't up and leave because the neighbor is having his place remodeled and construction starts early in the morning, or need to know if they can leave early without paying fees due to a dwelling becoming less habitable than what it was.

Screening out a potential tenant who does not have enough savings to cover the cost of breaking a lease is a great practice for a landlord. When you buy a house, you have to show proof of your ability to pay a mortgage or enough funds to pay cash. When you rent, you should be able to show enough funds to break the lease if needed. If you can't afford it, then you should probably look for a more affordable place.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I was in a 2 year lease that I wanted out of early due to divorce. I notified the landlord when there was one year left. She would not let me out. Even when I offered to let her keep the security deposit. It's not always that easy, and I did not want to have to deal with a lawsuit. I ended up having to ride out the remainder of the lease.

That is an unreasonable landlord.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:21 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
nyc management companies try to standardize on 40x rent as income for most apartments unless private homes.

2k a month rent = 80k income

Old 01-24-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
nyc management companies try to standardize on 40x rent as income for most apartments unless private homes.

2k a month rent = 80k income

Yep. That is what I use for my place in LA. I also run a credit check so that I can see CC payments and balances, and ask for pay stubs to see any garnishments.

Anyone who can't afford two months rent in this equation has some serious budgeting issues.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:33 AM

131 posts, read 453,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I have heard things like this before. My first thought it why in the world would anyone pay the remaining lease at that point up front? Why not just keep paying monthly?
I was told if I didn't pay it up front it was as though we were still renting the apt...meaning if a pipe should burst, or someone tripped ect... we would still be liable!

He also said if he rented the place we would get our money back...but as someone else has said how would we have proof...I am not holding my breath!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting