Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 03:29 PM

155 posts, read 556,351 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am planning to rent my home for the first time and need to to whether any software to maintain the rental details

Can you please advice me how landlords with 1 or 2 apartments manage their rental.
Will everything will be in paper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 04:05 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusJosephUS View Post
Hi,
I am planning to rent my home for the first time and
need to to whether any software to maintain the rental details
Nope. Pencil and paper is more than adequate.
If/when you get to the mogul stage... reconsider.

Start by finding an local active property owners group. Join them.
Ask for a good LL oriented RE lawyer and a good LL oriented CPA.

Of course you should probably just sell the house now.
If/when you want to be a LL... buy a property with that intention to begin with.

hth

Old 03-11-2014, 04:09 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
they use a good quicken program and a good turbo tax and never never manage their own properties ever. all that did not follow this rule are now ex property owners.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:13 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,879 times
1. Learn your state's rental laws
2. Learn the tax laws for rental properties

As for software, I started with Excel and I wrote a series of macros to ease the entry/organization. I have since moved to Quicken Rental Property Manager. It doesn't organize as well as my Excel setup, for one, it doesn't do depreciation. But it does scan documents easily and imports the data into TurboTax easily (except the depreciation items). I even scan documents with my phone and it synchs with my computer. I am now completely paperless.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:43 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,837,223 times
We have 50+ units and get by on Quick Books with the help of a CPA. No matter what you use, learn the applicable laws or your accounting practices may wind up being the least of your concerns.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:29 PM

327 posts, read 1,119,480 times
I currently use Quicken Rental Property Manager for 4 properties, 12 units total. Its ok but there are some shortcomings. But for your use it would be more than adequate.

Also try to setup a new checking acct and use it only for the rental. Keeps it clean when you have to do your taxes at end of year.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:49 AM

504 posts, read 1,545,972 times
landlordMAX
EASIEST Property Management Software: LandlordMax

This app seems pretty good too. It's a bit ugly, but is made with Java, so will basically run on any OS. I would use it, but I only have one rental house. So I decided it would be a bit overkill for me. I just use iBank for my personal finances and then copy over the transactions that have to do with the rental into another file (I'm on a Mac, so Quicken isn't a great option for me). There are definitely things a standard personal finance app can't handle (such as depreciation, late bills/rent, etc.). I did try out the landlordMAX demo and one of the best built in features is the reporting. It has a lot of pre-built in reporting scenarios. I'd say try it out for 30 days to see if it's what you want. Quicken may work for you too, but they don't offer a demo for it AFAIK.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:33 AM

893 posts, read 886,268 times
anyone willing to share their spreadsheet? (obviously can delete out personal info). PM me if so.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:13 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa4430 View Post
anyone willing to share their spreadsheet? (obviously can delete out personal info). PM me if so.
How many transactions do you anticipate needing to keep track of?
Of these (5 or 6 per month?) how many are NOT repetitive in nature?
A single manilla envelope and 2 sheets of paper are enough. Really.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:53 PM

893 posts, read 886,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
How many transactions do you anticipate needing to keep track of?
Of these (5 or 6 per month?) how many are NOT repetitive in nature?
A single manilla envelope and 2 sheets of paper are enough. Really.
I don't like to deal with paper if I can avoid it. i love spreadsheets if they are well thought out and organized.

I can always tweak a spreadsheet with minimal effort and no re writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting